What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

Considering buying an LS2 GTO

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering buying an LS2 GTO

Hey everybody,

Lately I have had a craving for an LS2 GTO. I intend to drive the car daily, providing I can find one that works for me. What I guess I'm looking for is a stock/near stock m6 GTO, probably with some decent mileage on it (I was thinking probably ~50-60k). What should I expect to pay?

I have been watching Craigslist for weeks now, and people seem to be listing their cars at exorbitant prices. Most cars I see are listed between 17k and 20k. As cool as these cars are, I can't believe they're selling for that kind of money. Any insight is appreciated.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

Use the price guides (NADA or KBB) for the type GTO that you are searching for with 50,000 or so miles. These 'average' type GTOs are NOT collectibles so any seller that tries to push that angle at you is to be avoided. The seller can sit on his car until he realizes his error. Also, CL is not the best way to buy a car unless you get lucky. Owners that need to sell their cars through free sources can often times be cheap about other aspects of their cars as well, like maintenance. For $30 owners can list on www.autotrader.com which is a great place to look. I just sold my BMW there within one week's time after wasting a week on ebay. Remember that owners ask more in most cases, so don't be scared off. If you see a car for $17,000 there is a very good possibility that you will actually get the car for $15,000 if you arrive with a certified bank check in hand. You might even do better than that. It's just game playing and any owner that gets offeneded by a legitimate offer is to be ignored. Best of luck with your search and don't be afraid to travel. I can't stress that enough. One weekend of travel, fast food, and cheap motels is well worth the effort to get a car you will drive for many years. I just picked up my GT which was a solid 8 hours away (500 miles). Spent $88 for a motel and $30 for food and whatever for gas. Well worth it. Good luck!

*** I just looked at Autotrader for grins and there are literally dozens and dozens of 2005-2006 GTOs within your mileage range for sale between $15,000 and $18,000 asking prices. There is no reason why you can't be driving home in one of those cars for $14,000 - $15,000 plus taxes, etc...

Last edited by NC01TA; 02-21-2012 at 06:44 AM.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, thanks for such a thorough reply. I guess I didn't think about how a free listing service would affect prices. I'll be sure to check out autotrader.

Quick Reply: Considering buying an LS2 GTO