What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

2001 WS6 Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 WS6 Convertible

I am new here and have searched and viewed quite a bit on a car I am about to buy. I must admit, trying to figure out what a Trans Am WS6 Convertible is worth has been one of the hardest things I have done in my modest car collecting. It was much easier figuring out what my '69 Z-28, '69 Mach 1 or
'67 GTO was worth. Heck, I can't even really find many of these Trans Am's for sale....
That being said, I am really looking for opinons on what a 2001 WS6 Trans Am Convertible with 45K original miles in excellent original condition is worth. The car is factory stock, automatic, 2 owner and has a clean title and car fax. I would love to hear opinions. The more the merrier!
Thanks!
Old 03-01-2012, 05:50 AM

No responses? Did I do or say something wrong? If so, I apologize.
By the way, I am looking to add this car to my collection. It is red with black gut and black drop top. It has a cassette player in lieu of the CD player and traction control.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 437 Likes on 316 Posts

No, you didn't upset anyone. Very few have an idea on pricing because these convertibles are so unusual. There were only 796 WS6 convertibles built in 2001 with another 396 regular Trans Ams built that year. I own one of them. Finding a stock well maintained example is getting tougher to do each year now that these F-bodies are all 10+ years old. The car you are considering is worth in the $14,000 - $17,000 neighborhood. The lower end would be a very good purchase. If towards the higher end, I would never pass on it in order to find another. It would still be a fair price. Going over that price mark and heading to $18,000 and higher is getting a bit too high. That is approaching lower mileage examples, when they become available, cars with 20,000 miles and perhaps even less. Once you hit $20,000 all kinds of opportrunities arise to obtain even lower mileage cars. Cars with 10,000 miles can be had for $20,000+ so you don't want to overpay for that 45,000 miles example. Best of luck to you. I've been in the F-body game for 16 years now. Feel free to PM if you need real specific information. Glad to help.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:00 PM

Thank you for your reply. I dont feel as bad as I did a few days ago. To be honest, I have been searching this site and the internet for values and/or pricing information on this car. I really was not looking for one, but stumbled across this one. Most of my small collection is older muscle cars. I always liked the '98-'02 Trans Am's when I saw them around (mostly coupes) and my wife knew that when she told me I should inquire about this one.
I have already purchased the car (last weekend) from a dealer and thought that I paid too much for it after the fact. I am usually a person that does my homework up front and knows what I am looking for and what it is basically worth. This time that didn't happen. And since there are not alot out there for sale, these are extremely hard to put a number to. It is a VERY nice car with a small repaired scratch on the bottom of the rear valance. That is all I can see wrong with the exterior. Interior is perfect. Under the hood is spotless. Under the car is clean. Wheels and tires look new. Everything works in/on the car. Clean Carfax and title. Seemed like a good start and we both like the car. They wanted 23K for the car. I didn't pay that much. But I probably paid all the money for the car. The dealer said they were getting 22-25K for these cars at the collector auctions. That is how he set his price. Now if the wife and I can enjoy it without any problems....it will be worth what we paid for it and then some.
Ran across one problem after moving it in the dark. I notice the right tail light is darker than the left. Seems there was a problem with the seal of the lens and water possibly got in there? Read about that on this site. Just got to figure if I just want to replace it or tear it apart and fix it, as someone has explained on this site.
As soon as I get some extra time and figure out how to post pictures on this site, I will. I have been enjoying reading what I can, when I can on this site. There is still a lot more to read though....
Old 03-02-2012, 05:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Welcome to the LS1 convertible world. Not many of us here.
Glad to hear you didn't pay his insane price. He is so full of it about paying those prices at auction. Yeah, for a 10,000 miles car, then maybe. In any event, if you keep your car for many years, like it sounds you will probably do, then the price will not matter much over the course of time. You only get hurt if you have to turn around and sell it within a year or two. Enjoy your ride.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:33 PM

Here are a couple of photos of my new purchase....
Attached Thumbnails 2001 WS6 Convertible-p1010168.jpg   2001 WS6 Convertible-p1010175.jpg  
Old 03-03-2012, 07:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Very nice!!

Quick Reply: 2001 WS6 Convertible