What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

98 Z28 w/ 80,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 09:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 98 Z28 w/ 80,000 miles

1998 Black Z28, 6 speed, Preferred group 1, leather seats, power driver seat, traction control (ASR), limited slip (posi), T-tops, Monsoon, remote entry, alarm, all power, cruise, a/c, etc.

Few modifications: LS1 Motorsports airbox, K&N airfilter, FRA, SLP short throw shifter, Lou short throw stick, skip shift eliminated, SLP 2 On The Left stainless steel catback exhaust, SLP 17" SS Rims, SLP SS spoiler, slp bowtie grill, front KVR cross drilled rotors and pads, w/silver coated calipers and mounts, driver side lumbar airbag, strut tower bar, 20% tint professionally done (1 piece rear window), clear corners, lightly smkoed tail lights. Car always garaged. Have original airbox, shifter, wheels(16" 5 stars w/BFG VFR4s), marker lights & tail lights.

The car only has 80,000 miles and i'm the second owner.

Interior is 10/10. The exterior is 9/10 (it has i small ding behind the passenger door and a hair thick scratch about 1 foot long on the same quarter panel).

Option 1: Sell it as is and include all the stock parts. What is it worth as it sits?

Option 2: How much would the car be worth if I put it back to stock and sold all the extras separately?
Old 04-29-2012, 05:12 AM
On The Tree

Why 35 views and 0 replies.....
Old 04-29-2012, 09:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

I'll try to assist but many fear hurting owner's feelings about their pride and joy. I treat pricing like a business despite how emotionally attached I am to these cars that I have owned for 16 years now. One issue I have right off the bat is your assessment of your car. IMHO 10 of 10 is a showroom car, period. My 29,000 miles one owner T/A is a 9 of 10 and is a show car. An 80,000 miles car grading so high would be an amazing accomplishment. Wear and issues are a reality no matter how well intentioned. Personally I wouldn't even respond to an owner who claimed a perfect car. i wouild feel that it is a used car salesman in disguise . www.kbb.com is widely 'looked at' and used as a tool in pricing along with looking at what others actually sell for or don't sell for on ebay and www.autotrader.com. If your car is truly an excellent condition car then you could ask around $8,500 - $9,000 and negotiate down from there. That is actually a higher price than normal pricing guides but it is a starting point. KBB shows a 'private party' value in my zip code at around $7,000 so you will have that to compete with. Also, that same www.autotrader.com has quite a few 1998 LS1 Camaros available from both private sellers and businesses, with about 80,000 miles on them, in the $8,000 price area. They are NOT selling quickly. I'm thinking $7,500 may be the max you will get but I still say to ask higher and see what happens. No harm, right? If no phone calls or contacts then lower your price slowly until you get a few nibbles. Remember that your mods are a 'turn off' to some (no matter how well done) and limits your potential buyer's market. Stock is better, so sell those mods like you asked. Hope this info helps a bit. GLWS!!
Old 04-29-2012, 06:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NC01TA
I'll try to assist but many fear hurting owner's feelings about their pride and joy. I treat pricing like a business despite how emotionally attached I am to these cars that I have owned for 16 years now. One issue I have right off the bat is your assessment of your car. IMHO 10 of 10 is a showroom car, period. My 29,000 miles one owner T/A is a 9 of 10 and is a show car. An 80,000 miles car grading so high would be an amazing accomplishment. Wear and issues are a reality no matter how well intentioned. Personally I wouldn't even respond to an owner who claimed a perfect car. i wouild feel that it is a used car salesman in disguise . www.kbb.com is widely 'looked at' and used as a tool in pricing along with looking at what others actually sell for or don't sell for on ebay and www.autotrader.com. If your car is truly an excellent condition car then you could ask around $8,500 - $9,000 and negotiate down from there. That is actually a higher price than normal pricing guides but it is a starting point. KBB shows a 'private party' value in my zip code at around $7,000 so you will have that to compete with. Also, that same www.autotrader.com has quite a few 1998 LS1 Camaros available from both private sellers and businesses, with about 80,000 miles on them, in the $8,000 price area. They are NOT selling quickly. I'm thinking $7,500 may be the max you will get but I still say to ask higher and see what happens. No harm, right? If no phone calls or contacts then lower your price slowly until you get a few nibbles. Remember that your mods are a 'turn off' to some (no matter how well done) and limits your potential buyer's market. Stock is better, so sell those mods like you asked. Hope this info helps a bit. GLWS!!
Thanks for the response. I understand what you are saying about my 10/10 on interior. I guess I was just trying to say that the carpets are clean and the leather isnt ripped.

I did check out autotrader previously and there was only 6 private party Z28/SS from 98-02 within a 100 miles. 3 of them were under 20,000 miles so not comparable.

I guess I just need to decide if the chance of selling it is worth the risk of de-modding it and it not selling. Damn this itch to buy a boat.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

Man, that boat better be nice because your Camaro sure looks sweet. Any chance you can keep the car and still get the boat? The novelty of the boat might wear off in a year and then you will wish you had your car back. Good luck with everything,

Quick Reply: 98 Z28 w/ 80,000 miles