What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

1987 SS Monte Carlo - black, original

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 11:34 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1987 SS Monte Carlo - black, original

What's it worth?

87 Monte Carlo SS - 305 H.O. engine, 200R4 trans, 100k miles. supposedly rare "saddle tan" interior in decent shape, no rips, hardtop, all original aside from a brand new dual exhaust with a nice rumble. Car is black and in pretty good shape, solid floorboards, great looking car. Cragar SS chrome wheels!

Tell me what it's worth and I'll tell you what I'm about to pay for it...
Old 05-08-2012, 10:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

That car should be well under $5,000. You don't want to pay more due to the issues that will arise from the age and 100,000 miles on the odometer. A/C work is almost a certainty as are the TCC solenoid (in tranny) and heater core. That's just for starters unless the work has been done already. The engines are very solid though. Be wary of sagging doors, and of course, rust. www.montecarloss.com has a wealth of info. I learned a lot from those folks when I bought mine. You have any other details or photos??
Old 05-11-2012, 01:21 AM
Launching!

The car was only 1800 bucks, but I passed on it in favor of a SICK 30th anniversary camaro which I got for a steal of a deal... still want to buy this lol!
Old 05-11-2012, 07:54 AM
TECH Junkie

$1,800 is almost too low. Don't feel bad about missing out on that one as it probably had more negatives than positives and needed mucho $$.
Enjoy your new purchase!
Old 05-11-2012, 09:09 AM
Launching!

I've still got money left over, I almost want to go buy that Monte to flip it... I checked it out and it truly was in very good shape, solid body, floors, no sagging anything. interior clean no rips aside from a single 1 on the arm rest, car ran like a top. the only issue worth mentioning is occasionally it wouldn't downshift into first coming to a stop or it would have trouble doing it which I think may have just been bad fluid, could be something worse though.

for 1800 bucks idk man, it was a real gem.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:34 PM
Teching In

i say buy it for 1800 i would
Old 05-19-2012, 07:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 93z383
I've still got money left over, I almost want to go buy that Monte to flip it... I checked it out and it truly was in very good shape, solid body, floors, no sagging anything. interior clean no rips aside from a single 1 on the arm rest, car ran like a top. the only issue worth mentioning is occasionally it wouldn't downshift into first coming to a stop or it would have trouble doing it which I think may have just been bad fluid, could be something worse though.

for 1800 bucks idk man, it was a real gem.
That downshifting issue is the TCC solenoid I mentioned in my other post. It is a $250 fix at any transmission shop that will agree to do the work for you. Some shops insist it is something else and many owners have even been duped into tranny overhauls. It really is a simple fix that is proven and documented. I am living proof as well. Mine is perfect now. Perhaps the owner of the SS has received a quote from one of the bad shops??? That would scare anyone. That car could be a steal afterall, just make sure.
** A nice little bonus with that $250 price is that it included all new tranny fluid and the filter. The SS probably needs it anyway if not done.

Quick Reply: 1987 SS Monte Carlo - black, original