What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

How much would you pay for this car

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 12:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much would you pay for this car

Its a 1998 trans am non ws6 black with gray leather. 61,000 miles on the body. 3,000 miles on the ls6 that was professionally installed by a Chevy dealership. All stock inside and out other then the ls6 and upgraded clutch. Body is a 8.5/10 only some small rock chips and a small white mark that can probably be removed. Interior is a 8/10. There is a small hole in the drivers seat and you can tell the car was smoked in, there are tiny cig burns in the carpet. The clutch was replaced and upgraded and it has a new radiator, water pump, thermostat, and battery. Oil has been mobil 1 synthetic. It has been stored inside and only 4,000 miles have been put on it in the last 12 years. Overall the car looks good and drives good. What do you think I should pay if I were to purchase it?
Thanks guys
Old 07-09-2012, 09:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

This belongs in the "What's It Worth' section here on LS1 Tech but in the meantime I will offer this reply.
From your description the car appears to be in 'fair' condition with a nice professionally installed engine. I disagree about your rating of the interior. Without even seeing it, it sounds like a 5/10 with those cigarette burns, etc.. A normal clear title, clean Carfax '98 T/A with these miles and condition would sell in the $7,500 - $8,000 neighborhood. Now what is the rather 'new' engine worth to you? If you were satisfied with the job done and it drove out strong, then perhaps you would be willing to pay an extra $1,000 - $2,000 for this car bringing it up to $8,500 - $10,000. I wouldn't pay more than that because you won't get that extra money back as the miles and years add up, just like the seller can't expect to get the full cost of that engine back. It doesn't work that way. Your call. If you go for it, and he isn't asking too much, good luck!

Last edited by NC01TA; 07-09-2012 at 09:40 AM.