What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

00 Transam WS6

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 01:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 00 Transam WS6

Hey guys, I was wandering if you could help me out. I have been looking at a 2000 WS6 and was wandering if it was worth the price the owner is telling me. It has 77,000 miles on it and he wants about 10,000 for the car. It looks pretty clean and drives amazing. It handles like a brand new car. Its got corvette rims and a couple other non-stock upgrades. Also, do you guys think it would be smart to pull the carfax on it? Its pretty expensive, so I want to make sure it is worth it.

Thanks
Old 08-12-2012, 04:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 439 Likes on 317 Posts

Always get a Carfax. It's not even a question to ask. Since you are looking for a car to buy, get the multi-pack that Carfax offers. Carfax is a very good tool that helps in your decision making. It is far from flawless (they miss accidents, mileage discrepancies once in awhile) but very useful.
As far as this WS6 we need more info.
For grins Let's guess that the title is clear with no negative history, like accidents, excessive multiple owners, etc.. If the car needs nothing (has good tires, good exterior, good interior, etc) then $10,000 may be a decent price for a 'private party' sale. If issues, even minor ones, then $10,000 may be too high. You haven't even stated if the car is an automatic or 6 speed. Everything affects price so details are needed for an informed 'guesstimate', starting with the Carfax.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:55 PM
Teching In

Sorry for the lack of details. I haven't gotten the carfax yet so I can't say about the title. It has an automatic, it shifts great. It has everything that came in the car stock. But it has had new gears put in the rear end and a cat back exhaust system. The one thing that I was unsure about was that he replaced a rear tail light because it "was getting faded". That sounded a little fishy to me. He also told me there was a minor paint scuff on the front fender so he had to repaint it. It does need tires, probably in the next couple months. And the brakes might need to be replaced in a year or so. Hope this helps.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 439 Likes on 317 Posts

Yes, that does help. The tail light lens is a common issue from what I have read over the years but I don't like the 'gears' situation personally. I sure would ask questions about that, and most importantly, who did the work? The needs (tires, brakes, possibly other things) bring this car down into the $9,000 area at most, and that's only if I was satisfied with the 'gears' explanation. Also still need the title and Carfax info. Can't he tell you the number of owners? If he doesn't know that isn't very good. Don't offer anything until you know the title is OK at the very least. Good luck!
Old 08-13-2012, 10:54 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys still haven't gotten a chance to talk to him about the gear work yet. I did manage to get him down into the low 9k area, with much whining on his part. Next step carfax and some interrogation on who put the 3.73 gears and 2500 stall on the trans. Also he said he replaced the water pump and a front ball joint. Routine or something fishy? I have a 98 formua with 172 k miles on it and haven't had to replace either... Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:06 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

My water pump started leaking at about 100k and I replaced it at 105. Nothing unusual there. A ball joint? Parts can fail.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:52 PM
Teching In

Thanks a lot guys. You have been a huge help. This is only my second car to buy. And my first with out my mechanic father's help. Thanks big time.

Quick Reply: 00 Transam WS6