What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

Overpriced?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 02:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overpriced?

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...22172768&Log=0

Found this car for sale at Hawk's Third Gen. Nice looking car, then I saw the price. With 110k on the body, I hardly see a $10k car...especially not a $19,500 car. Am I missing something here, or is this car overpriced. I would like to buy another DD t/a, but I'm a little curious at the actual value of this car and what kind of offer I should make.

Not sure if they're a sponsor here, but I'm in no way knocking them. I was almost knocked out of my chair when I saw the crazy high price of the car. I mean it's pretty, but I could take my old t/a that I paid $8500 for with 67k miles on it (wife claimed it as her own a while back) and buy all the parts required to clone the car in the link. I would still end up thousands below the asking price of the car...and that's including paying someone to do the work.

I won't go on any longer. I really like the car and would love to own it. I just wanted to know if I missed something, or if that price is crazy high.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:40 AM
Teching In

nitrous...
Old 08-18-2012, 02:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

Of course that is ridiculous pricing and your instincts are spot on. For some reason this owner thinks he can re-coup his mod money. Not going to happen. This is an $8,000 car all day long and the classifieds are loaded with these 100,000 miles modded cars. He's either very unaware of real world selling prices or hoping for a fool. I hope it is just the former.

No harm in his trying to get $9,000 or $10,000 but his price is double.

He needs to read the "What's It Worth" section here on LS1Tech.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is way overpriced. If you are looking for nice car, I saw one on ebay yesterday. It is I believe a 1997 car and has 8,XXX miles on it. It has some modifications (I think they claimed over $80,000) and is selling with no reserve. I think the current bid on it is around $3,050.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:34 PM
Teching In

sure it may be overpriced, to those that don't mind doing it themselves.

but that's not who they are marketing the car to. They are selling these to old guys like me that have no spare time and just want to jump in turn the key and smile.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:05 PM
On The Tree

Been trying to contact hawks this morning to try and figure out why the asking price is almost 10k over what it should be worth. KBB values the car at $7700ish. With what I would estimate generously at about 6k in mods @ 100% return in value (which would NEVER happen), the car still should be nowhere near the asking price of almost 20k. Hopefully I can get someone on the phone today to figure out why the asking price is so high, and what he would actually take for it.

Quick Reply: Overpriced?