What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

2002 M6 Firehawk

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 04:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2002 M6 Firehawk

Trying to find out how much I can get for my 2002 M6 Firehawk.

The Good:

Low miles, 47,xxx. No mods other than the Superhawk hood. Interior is flawless. Vehicle has been well taken care of. No mechanical problems, runs great. Drove it from Portland, Oregon to Denver, Colorado recently so my Dad could store it while I move to Florida. All fluids were flushed in November, new battery put in, and spark plugs changed.

The Bad:

Salvage title. I can't find my pictures of the damage, but the front end (plastic part) was ripped away in a fender bender. No structural damage, I had it checked out before I bought it and any interested party can verify through their own mechanic/etc. I haven't had time to paint the hood. It is primer gray. Cat's were taken off, engine is throwing the appropriate code.

Pictures are here.

Why am I selling:

This was supposed to be my long term project car. I bought it cheap (at the time) because of the salvage title. Unfortunately, after owning it for several years and not having the time to do anything to it, I'm going to have to part with it. After being deployed multiple times and then getting sent to Japan for several years, I bought a car built by one of the members of this forum, Haans249, that I enjoy the crap out of, and so can't see myself doing anything with the Firehawk.

I'm looking for help in finding a fair price for this. I'm not trying to gouge anybody, and I'm just not attached to it anymore.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:42 PM
Teching In

In my opinion, buying a "salvage" titled car is not always a bad thing....BUT....if I were going consider buying one, I would want to know EXACTLY what happened to get it classified as such. In other words, if you are going to sell it, I would locate the pictures you indicated you have along with any and all documentation regarding why it was given a "salvage" title, what was repaired, and by whom. Verbal indications won't cut it....at least they wouldn't for me.

In the current condition it's in and assuming everything is functioning properly and there is no structural damage, you can probably expect to get, at best, somewhere around $7,000 - $9,000. General rule of thumb is the car is worth about half (or less) what it would sell for if it did not have a "salvage" tile.

Even if you have all of your ducks in a row with a good paper and picture trail, you have a pretty limited pool of potential buyers. Many people buying these types of vehicles simply choose to avoid purchasing a "salvage" title no matter what the circumstances.

That's my .02. Good luck to you !!
Old 04-11-2013, 08:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

Excellent response above and spot on!
I would ask $9,950 (keep it under $10,000) just to see if anyone responds. It's a good starting point for negotiations and the first cash buyer that comes along, don't let him go if he offers above $7,000. If no responses on that initial asking price, of course lower it down until you get a few inquiries. GLWS!!
Old 04-12-2013, 05:04 PM
Teching In

Thanks a lot for the replies and tips, appreciate it.

Quick Reply: 2002 M6 Firehawk