What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

1998 Trans Am WS6

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 11:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Trans Am WS6

I am going to go look at and possibly bring home this WS6 come Monday, I found a mechanic to have him meet me at to do a pre-purchase inspection etc. Wondering if this unmolested, low milage bird is worth $13,000 tho. What are your thoughts? I looked up the carfax everything is clean, no accidents.

Price: $13,000
1998 Pontiac Firebird WS6 TransAm 6 speed, All original, no mods, one owner, low miles. 62170 miles Garaged all its life. This car is awesome the only reason for letting it go is the owner had hip replacement and can not drive a manual transmission any more. Paint is black and beautiful. Interior is almost perfect for the age only showing minimal wear. You can tell she kept it in the garage and only drove it on weekends. All regular scheduled maintenance was performed and never had any warranty issues. This LS1 with a 6 speed trans is powerful and smooth. Everything is working and original except the battery it was replaced and serpentine belts. Check the car fax it is the real deal. Bought at Gay pontiac in dickinson TX. and kept in her garage all its life. Never been raced or in a accident.

Thanks for any input!
Old 06-21-2013, 08:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

That is really a sweet find. No doubt about it. An unmolested 6 speed WS6 that is stock and owned by an older guy. It just doesn't get better than that.
Now the bad part. It is certainly overpriced at $13,000. That's a $10,000 car on a real good day, maybe $11,000 if you absolutely love it. While the mileage is low at 62,000 miles it isn't that low to command that much of a price difference or premium. If the car had 15,000 - 20,000 miles on it, hell yeah!! $13,000 would be fine then.
The only other way you could justify a purchase like this for that $13,000 is if you absolutely knew that you would be keeping the car a long time. The eventual loss would be minimal over a long period, let's say 4 years or more. Unfortunately you never know the future or if you had to sell in an emergency. If you had to sell in a year's time you would be fortunate to get $9,000 if in a rush. That $4,000 hit plus the tax, title, etc.. you paid for would hurt. Depreciation is the name of the game when buying a car and it would be even worse if you bought a new 2013 Camaro or something and had to sell in an emergency. People have different perceptions on car purchases. Would you be OK with this depreciation I just talked about?
A very tough decision for you. Any chance you can get the seller down in price?? I'd hate to see you pass it up. If it was me, I would 'walk' at $13,000. I would feel bad about it but I know I can do better. Would I buy it for $12,000? Hmmm... maybe, if I loved it that much and knew I was hopefully keeping it for many years.

Quick Reply: 1998 Trans Am WS6