What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

Trans Am's around Atlanta in case you been lookin too

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 09:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans Am's around Atlanta in case you been lookin too

Just a few Trans Am's I'm lookin at,.... I figured I'd post for some insight, and also if anyone else is lookin at these they can share my time spent looking at the cars.

This car I have not seen but doubt ill drive up to see it I think it's a tad high.
http://chattanooga.craigslist.org/cto/3931212547.html

This car I have called and text many times, owner cannot carry on a conversation for nothing. Sounds strung out on crack... Never has time to show the car. Repeated attempts. Won't send pics either.
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/3936503189.html

This car is a POS exhaust shoddy built dumped before axle, clearly spliced wire harness using those crappy crimp connectors. Screw holes in console from a mount of some kind, cracked dash and doors, paint looks like washed with a Brillo pad, sail panel peeling and bubbly, smokes at idle. Only proof of this 450 hp motor is a piece of paper he printed off that has single line type saying its a bad motor. I asked about cam and internals and he said its stock inside its the intake and pipes that make it 450 hp, also has clean one owner carfax but says he is the 3rd owner..... WTF!?!?!?
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/3965958547.html

This car I seen it looks ok, obviously a driver car, faded dash, cracked doors, worn carpet under clutch, chips and swirls, non factory intake, and exhaust, no way it's a 15k car.
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/3908181166.html

Just sharing for those who may try and drive to see these cars,.... Save your gas!!!!
Old 07-31-2013, 09:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 437 Likes on 316 Posts

Save your time looking at CL. There are exceptions once in awhile but not worth the effort IMO. Serious sellers will spend a few dollars and sell their cars on proper sites. When it's FREE, caveat emptor!
Old 07-31-2013, 10:38 AM
On The Tree

Amen there! Quickly learning.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:05 AM
Teching In

Craigslist is no better or worse than anything else. If you're looking really high end than that's different. Car dealers, ebay, and everywhere else has scams. Just don't buy it that day and do some research on the vin. Listen to the car. Take a long test drive. If they try to pressure or rush you, walk away. You never have to be talked into a good deal.
Old 08-17-2013, 04:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Definitely disagree with that ChevyJunk. Sure scams are everywhere but CL is much worse than anything else resulting in far too many serious criminal incidents. It isn't just scams but there are CL rapists, CL robbers, CL burglars, CL murderers. Do any search you like and read about the victims. It dwarfs every other venue you cited.
I also realize that there are many decent folks with excellent experiences as well, but IMO it isn't worth the effort fishing them out. I don't even look at CL for cars. I do fine without them.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:24 AM
Teching In

NC01TA, you make a valid point. However most of the rapes and murders were/are jobs and services and personals. I don't look for jobs or anything but cars and parts which is the topic at hand. If you're smart about it and meet in public places, don't go alone, and do your homework you can get some great deals. Advise I'd give when looking at a car from any source. I just got an 01 Ls1 long block, intake(ls1), engine stand, CTS-V oil pan, and new flywheel for $400. I can't find anything wrong with the engine. I wouldn't dismiss a deal just because it's on craigslist. I also wouldn't let my wife go meet someone from an ad for any reason either be it craigslist or anything else. As for it dwarfing the other venues for crime, of course it does. It also dwarfs everything in the volume of users and ads. Good deals are where you find them and I look at all sources. I've read many of your posts and have a lot of respect for your opinions and the time you take to help people. I just think it's worth digging through the dirt to find a gem.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Thank you for the kind words. Your approach to CL is completely valid as you are aware of the potential issues. Unfortunately there are many inexperienced buyers/sellers out there and I fear for them, not only through scams, but inviting these 'buyers' or 'sellers' to their homes, exposing their belongings and families to Lord knows who. You obviously don't fall into this category but I just can't recommend CL to any person who may have the potential to be victimized. I can't 'see' who these LS1Tech posters are that are seeking assistance. I don't know if they are still in high school or ex-cops in their 50's so I comment in general and the posters can either block me out or perhaps have an open ear. I'll continue to argue against CL cars for this very reason. There are too many sites available for car purchases. CL didn't exist too long ago and everyone did just fine. I'm sure it will never go away but I don't have to be a part of it, and I won't. I have the general opinion that if a seller is too cheap to pay $35 - $40 for a 7 week Autotrader ad, then the car he is selling has been owned as 'cheap', from maintenance to tires, anything else pertaining to the car. It can speak volumes. Not all sellers, but again I don't feel it is worth digging through all the garbage to find that gem that already exists elsewhere.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:55 PM
Teching In

Fair enough. I used to love autotrader but in the last 5 years in southwest florida it has become a dealer brochure. The private party ads rarely answer or respond. Newspapers down here are a joke. Craigslist is pretty much my only option for local private party purchases. You give a lot of advise and I understand your concerns. For me I sift through and find better deals on it than anywhere else. I like projects and enjoy the hunt. I also enjoy a good, civil debate. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Trans Am's around Atlanta in case you been lookin too