What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

2002 LE Camaro SS

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 06:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 LE Camaro SS

Hey guys I was wondering if you can help me out, Im looking to buy another 2002 LE Camaro SS and I need help on the price... I know these particular cars have a different price compared to the regular SS. I've had a 2002 LE before, when I bought that one it was VERY clean, with 65k on it, I got it for $13,500. Now I'm looking at another one and this one is pretty much brand new. Here is the link and tell me if the price is a little to high. I know it is but need some advise on what I should pay. I know these are considered "collector" cars so any help would be good. Thanks in advance.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst...058391557.html
Old 09-17-2013, 06:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 439 Likes on 317 Posts

I normally don't review CL cars and I'm stunned that the seller chose this venue to sell such an example. I guess he doesn't mind having every scumbag in LA coming out to see his car. Yeah, I know there are many good folks that use CL but a car of this magnitude belongs in Hemmings, or at the very least, Autotrader. Maybe it is???
If the car is real, with all paperwork, his asking price is fair and within bounds. Getting it for a price somewhere in the high 20's would be fine for a buyer. Obviously the seller saw that B-J auction car, with the same miles, go for $29,000 plus the BP earlier this year. Ebay always seems to have examples for sale too. Some ask over $30,000 with a few thousand miles on the odometer. With this one having under 1,000 miles, he is spot on. He will probably be patient for the right buyer to come along.
Again, a CL car makes me very leery and I sure would want to see the title and every piece of documentation. A Carfax is certainly required as well.
If you are really going for this car, be smart and best of luck!
Old 09-17-2013, 06:43 PM
On The Tree

^^^ thank you very much bro I appreciate it!
Old 09-17-2013, 07:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you can get it for around $22-25K it would be a deal. I think the seller is betting on a collector to buy it for that price. If you pay $29K for the car then don't drive it, it will never hold its value once you start putting miles on it. My car had 538 miles on the odometer when I bought it 3 months ago but I paid a heck of a lot less than $29K and even if I put 1500 miles on it this year it will always be worth than what I paid for it.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by hardbones
If you can get it for around $22-25K it would be a deal. I think the seller is betting on a collector to buy it for that price. If you pay $29K for the car then don't drive it, it will never hold its value once you start putting miles on it. My car had 538 miles on the odometer when I bought it 3 months ago but I paid a heck of a lot less than $29K and even if I put 1500 miles on it this year it will always be worth than what I paid for it.
All very true but look at this way too (also, don't forget that this is a 'special edition' car thus the values are indeed different and he won't get it for $22k -$25k unless very lucky). If you, me or anyone missed out on this car when it was new and always wanted one to drive, then this 'time capsule' $29k Camaro would be that 'new car' price today and depreciation would be expected, just like buying a new 2013 Camaro for $30k or whatever. Of course the car will be worth less each year and every mile it is driven. What's the difference if you prefer driving this around instead of any other new car? I have no idea what cwdub4 wants to do with this 'new' car but if I was looking for a new car to drive, even as a DD, I would seriously think about going this route. I personally prefer a 'new' 2002 Anniversary Camaro over a 2013, plus the cost is less. Most others will not feel this way. Storage issues aren't really evident with these more modern machines if kept in a climate controlled garage. It all depends on what you want to drive. Both the 2002 and 2013 will be worth the same in 10 years with 100k miles on them. hell, the 2002 might even be worth more if kept in good condition. Buyers are always looking for those 'different' cars.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NC01TA
All very true but look at this way too (also, don't forget that this is a 'special edition' car thus the values are indeed different and he won't get it for $22k -$25k unless very lucky). If you, me or anyone missed out on this car when it was new and always wanted one to drive, then this 'time capsule' $29k Camaro would be that 'new car' price today and depreciation would be expected, just like buying a new 2013 Camaro for $30k or whatever. Of course the car will be worth less each year and every mile it is driven. What's the difference if you prefer driving this around instead of any other new car? I have no idea what cwdub4 wants to do with this 'new' car but if I was looking for a new car to drive, even as a DD, I would seriously think about going this route. I personally prefer a 'new' 2002 Anniversary Camaro over a 2013, plus the cost is less. Most others will not feel this way. Storage issues aren't really evident with these more modern machines if kept in a climate controlled garage. It all depends on what you want to drive. Both the 2002 and 2013 will be worth the same in 10 years with 100k miles on them. hell, the 2002 might even be worth more if kept in good condition. Buyers are always looking for those 'different' cars.
I agree 100%!
What was the MSRP on that Camaro in 2002?
Buy it right and drive the hell out of it, that what I am doing with mine. I know collectors scoff at this mindest but what good is the car doing sitting in some guys collection doing nothing but getting dusty?
Old 09-18-2013, 10:14 AM
On The Tree

Hard to say if this is the same car, but the high bid was $24k.

http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_de...=&startRow=133
Old 09-18-2013, 12:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2002ss335

If it is not I would be surprised since the car had 860 on it when sold and now has 863.
Quess that kind of gives a true market value.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 2002ss335

Quite possible. No sale though and I don't blame the owner for passing on the $24k bid. He still would have owed Mecum about 5% (or whatever they charge) and ended up with even less. I'm sure the owner/seller is aware of the value. He isn't going to take $5,000 less then the B-J car. He might however take $26,000 - $27,000 from someone so he doesn't have to pay for transportation and commissions at the auctions. It would make sense. I would offer $25,000 cash and see what he comes back with. If he doesn't budge from the $29,000 then that would up to the buyer. Not many left out there with under 1,000 miles.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by hardbones
I agree 100%!
What was the MSRP on that Camaro in 2002?
Buy it right and drive the hell out of it, that what I am doing with mine. I know collectors scoff at this mindest but what good is the car doing sitting in some guys collection doing nothing but getting dusty?
The MSRP on those type Camaros was around $36,000 for the convertible I believe so I am thinking about $33,000 for the coupe. That $3,000 spread was the situation on my Trans Am 'vert back then and I'm sure the coupe/'vert difference was the same for the Camaro.
As far as people telling you what to do, collectors can go find their own cars then or buy them all up. I don't give grief to new owners of low mileage Aerocoupes if the new owner wants to drive it or mod it. Just because I take my Aero to car shows only, I have no right to suggest that someone else should do the same. If they ask for advice on what to do, then that is different. Same goes in reverse. I get real tired of people telling me I should drive mine more. What do they care?? I have other cars to drive. At least it isn't a trailer queen. I just drove 87 miles to a car show last Saturday (won a 'Top 3 Chevy' trophy) and plan on going to the Super Chevy show in Bristol Sunday the 29th. That's plenty for me.
Here's my car and award last Saturday. If interested just click a few times to enlarge.
Attachment 418194

Attachment 418195

Last edited by NC01TA; 10-03-2014 at 08:28 AM.

Quick Reply: 2002 LE Camaro SS