What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

82 Datsun 280zx

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 12:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 82 Datsun 280zx

So we have an 82 Datsun 280zx in the shop that is just taking up room so looking to get rid of it. Not completely sure what it would be worth so I figured I would throw it up on here to get somewhat of an idea.

Has 91957 miles. It is the non turbo I6 with t-tops. It's always kept under a plastic car cover to keep dust and whatnot off of it. Runs and drives great. The interior is near perfect. Outside looks great too. I took a bunch of pictures but wasn't sure what would all help but here's what I took. Not a problem to get more.

If we can get this one sold and once the 39 gets moved out I should be able to claim a permanent spot

From looking around on some sites I was coming up with figures anywhere between 5-8k. Wasn't really sure where to look site wise. Checked a few forums and NADA values.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

I used to own an '80 and ran it up to 90,000 miles just like yours. It started to 'nickel and dime' me to death so I sold it. That was a long time ago and the pricing is no longer relevant. I just remember all the repairs needed at that juncture of it's life. The engine was always flawless though.
My car collector neighbor has an '81 with just 35,000 original miles. It was in storage for many years before he bought it and it needed a lot despite very good paint and similar interior. He was able to pick it up for $3,500 and it is now a $10,000+ car that attends many car shows.
Knowing the history of these 280zx models from personal experience and my neighbor's current car, I feel that $5,000 is a possibility. You could certainly ask $6,000 and see what happens. What both myself and my neighbor really like about your car are the rims. They are so much nicer than the typical 'swastika' rims. If they are not too beat up with curb rash, etc.. they are quite desirable and difficult to find in decent shape. My neighbor paid $600 for a set that wear truly excellent.
GLWS!!
Old 12-03-2013, 01:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NC01TA
I used to own an '80 and ran it up to 90,000 miles just like yours. It started to 'nickel and dime' me to death so I sold it. That was a long time ago and the pricing is no longer relevant. I just remember all the repairs needed at that juncture of it's life. The engine was always flawless though.
My car collector neighbor has an '81 with just 35,000 original miles. It was in storage for many years before he bought it and it needed a lot despite very good paint and similar interior. He was able to pick it up for $3,500 and it is now a $10,000+ car that attends many car shows.
Knowing the history of these 280zx models from personal experience and my neighbor's current car, I feel that $5,000 is a possibility. You could certainly ask $6,000 and see what happens. What both myself and my neighbor really like about your car are the rims. They are so much nicer than the typical 'swastika' rims. If they are not too beat up with curb rash, etc.. they are quite desirable and difficult to find in decent shape. My neighbor paid $600 for a set that wear truly excellent.
GLWS!!
Thanks for the reply and insight I appreciate it. Hopefully we can move this thing out so I can take a spot I like the wheels too. There's no curb rash on them.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

No problem. Now let's just hope we don't get banned for talking about a Datsun here at LS1Tech.

By the way, if my memory is correct, those rims were offered only as an option, and not many buyers chose it (expense?).
Old 12-05-2013, 10:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NC01TA
No problem. Now let's just hope we don't get banned for talking about a Datsun here at LS1Tech.

By the way, if my memory is correct, those rims were offered only as an option, and not many buyers chose it (expense?).
people swap ls1's into these a lot so we should be fine Not sure about the wheels. I can see if I can get some of the body codes (not sure if they have them like our cars to look up options).

Quick Reply: 82 Datsun 280zx