What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

Buying a wrecked car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 04:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a wrecked car?

Hello all, I'm new here.

I'm planning on putting a LSx motor of some sorts into a S13 240sx (89-94). I'm on a bit of a budget so my father suggests I buy a wrecked donor car that runs so we can pull the complete power train out of it, then part the rest of the vehicle to make some money back. I think I should look for a 4th gen Camaro with an LS1, or any 4th gen GTO. I'm not sure how much I could expect to pay for a wrecked car, or if I'm even going to be able to make some money back parting it.

What do you all think?
Old 12-28-2013, 08:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 437 Likes on 316 Posts

I really have no comments on your 'build' plans but I can say that parting out these cars is very time consuming and the shipping costs have made it tough to make a decent profit. The demand for parts really isn't there either considering the parts would most likely be coming from a higher mileage used up car. No one will be laying out good $$. I wouldn't expect to turn much of a profit overall.
Good luck with your project whichever way you proceed.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NC01TA
I really have no comments on your 'build' plans but I can say that parting out these cars is very time consuming and the shipping costs have made it tough to make a decent profit. The demand for parts really isn't there either considering the parts would most likely be coming from a higher mileage used up car. No one will be laying out good $$. I wouldn't expect to turn much of a profit overall.
Good luck with your project whichever way you proceed.
I kind of figured it would be that way, especially with no motor or trans to sell. I'll just have to keep an eye out for a good power train so i don't end up with a big lawn ornament.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

WRONG! you can make good money parting out a F-body. it does take a lot of time and effort. the biggest pain in the *** is putting up with potential buyers who want pictures, prices and shipping cost and you never hear back from them! most of the members here are good buyers. just picked up a 99 T/A A4 and a 99 T/A m6 to part out.

Quick Reply: Buying a wrecked car?