What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 10:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default What would you do?

I've been in the market for a Camaro. Simple enough right? Been waiting for the right deal and everyone seems to over price their cars. Regardless they're bad *** cars. Anyways I came across a 2000 SS camaro, SLP 5-spokes, 6-speed manual, It's NBM, has 115k miles , LS7 Clutch, SLP LM-1 exhaust, and skip shift delete. Cars owned by a kid in a rich area. Paint isn't the greatest has bubbling in the SS hood, small dent by the gas tank cap. Some paints chipped off and it's going to need new tires. Did a car fax came back clean as a 2 owner car that's always good. Car ran a little rough not to bad seems like it's time for new plugs.. Well the hole tune up in this case. He doesn't seem to know much. Also drove the car 3rd gear sync is starting to go. No leaks though from engine/tranny/rear. Car is solid no lights except for the occasional check gauges which happens to be his fuel level assembly. Regaurdless of all the problems she runs pretty good and is a true SS camaro. Oh yeah it also has new breaks slotted and drilled. I'm picking up the car tomorrow for a whopping price of $4,500.00. Overall do you think that price is good for me? I live in NY, so a KBB on this car in worst condition is about 6,800. But she does have a lot of problems. Any input will be highly appreciated. I like to hear other peoples advice rather then just what I think.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

If the car is in pretty good condition then it's a good price IMO. The only thing that bothers me is when the owner doesn't seem to know much about his own ride lol
Old 01-12-2014, 10:48 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
If the car is in pretty good condition then it's a good price IMO. The only thing that bothers me is when the owner doesn't seem to know much about his own ride lol
Yes, I most defiantly agree. Car was serviced up at a local shop near him. Car ran pretty good though. Held good oil pressure, heated up normal held temp. Nothing obscure.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

So he has service records for the car then?
Old 01-12-2014, 11:29 AM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
This was my first thought too. You say he was a kid who didn't know too much, which to me means he probably ran the car hard and maintenance wasn't a priority. The running rough and 3rd gear synchro is evidence of that. Doesn't sound like a bad price for a 6 speed SS, but you will end up dumping some $$ into it to make it right. Did you get a good look underneath? Being a northeast car check real good for rusty lines and floors.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:14 PM
On The Tree

I plan on dumping money into this car anyways. There is service on the car and it never had a problem passing inspection everytime. I checked under the car and theres a very small spot that has some surface rust. nothing major I would coat the underneath anyways and fix that one spot. other then that the car seems really soild. Drove nice and handled great. No weird sounds when driving. Had a lot of power stopped well. Seems to check out but it's in pretty rough condition. It's a diamond in the rough as I see it. My plan is to save this car and restore it and make it into a beauty.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:11 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Prepare for new wheel bearings and axle shafts. I bought my car a little overpriced 7200 . I did new rear wheel bearings one axle shaft . Should of did both dealer said was ok but still a little noise. My alternator and power stering hose went. Cd player stooped working. Just letting u know might haveto through money at it unexpectly. My sistuation was complex i borrowed the doe so i was limited on cars to get. I owe 1k more and i own it which is cool. Gl

Quick Reply: What would you do?