What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

Hold strong or give in?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 11:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hold strong or give in?

I've been looking to sell my 02 Z06 for a little while now. It's on the forum and other sites but just doesn't get any attention. The worse thing about the car is I'm the 5th owner per carfax, but it's including a dealer as an owner and the guy before me owned for about 6 months before deciding to buy a house and sell it off.

The car is in good condition, but it's STS turbo charged. I'm reading ~56k on the clock and with everything internal being stock. Supporting mods of course but nothing crazy. If I pulled the pipes and shells it would be stock. I won't do that and try to sell stock because I'm not dishonest, and wouldn't want that done to me.

I've seen the same class car advertise for 25k but I'm only asking 23 OBO open to trades. trouble is I get tire kickers and garbage trades, not a single worth while offer yet. Do i hold out for the right buyer? Or am I senile in my request?

Do I need the money fast? no, but dropping some bills before the family changes is the goal.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:20 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The turbo is a big turn off for most buyers because, right or wrong, it gives the impression that it has been abused. And because it is really adding zero value to the car, I would take it off and return the car to stock condition. List it as having been previously turbo'd of course and adjust the price downward a bit and try to make up the difference when you sell the turbo setup. I would also make sure the car is as clean as you can possibly get it and fix or replace anything that needs to be tended to. Spring is here supposedly, which should net more interest in the car. Good luck.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:31 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the feedback. I was pondering removing the setup and just selling as-is like you stated. Im not sure it would net me much of a difference.

Whats the most i should ask for a 56 k mile Z06. Prices for them online are all over the place. 14k - 24k its really hard to gauge what its worth with appraisal sites so far apart and inconsistant.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:42 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Book value on that car in my area is around $22k. I don't think you would have a problem getting $2500 or so out of that turbo setup, so if it was me, I would price the car at $19,995 and see how the market responds. If it was a one or two owner car that had never been modded and had a complete maintenance history, I could see it going for more, but we know that isn't the case here. It may be a good selling point to have the car inspected at a local dealer or wherever and may ease a potential buyer's mind about the negative aspects of being previously modded.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

Seeing sellers ask $25k doesn't mean they are selling their cars either. It's just like seeing average F-bodies with selling prices around $15k. They don't sell either. If the sellers aren't willing to negotiate, then they aren't realistic about selling. Each seller is different. A car with a $25k asking price could be sold for $20k. Some sellers just start real high.
Having a 5 owner turbo Corvette is not going to draw much attention from buyers that have cash $$$ to spend. I know you explained the ownership situation but the buyer needs to think down the road too. Now he will be selling a 6 owner car one day. It isn't appealing. Your price needs to be way below others, and I agree about getting it south of $20,000. Since you plan on explaining the true history of the car, I wouldn't spend a dime on making it 'stock'. I commend you for being an upright seller. Lord knows how many dealers have stripped off mods and talked about an easy 'stock' life.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:45 AM
Teching In

I think i understand where my sale needs to go now as far as where it's worth. I'v had my fun out of her and just need to learn when to drop my pride for my ride, ha. Thanks for your honesty, I think i know where I need to go from here. I'm not going to change the turbo setup though, pulling it and being deceptive just isn't my style.

Quick Reply: Hold strong or give in?