What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

2002 Trans Am, 6 speed, 29k miles

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 06:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Trans Am, 6 speed, 29k miles

What would you pay at a dealer for this car? 29,000 mile 2002 Trans Am, completely stock, 1-owner, clean history, 6 speed w/ Hurst, black paint, tan leather interior, monsoon, base silver 16" wheels. Exterior paint is maybe a 7.5/10 with a couple minor dings and scratches. Worst part may be some creasing/spidering on the top center of the rear bumper - maybe someone backed into something with it? Still not extremely noticeable to the average Joe. Looks like it might have original the tires on it as they will need replaced soon. Underbody looks very clean. Interior is nearly mint - VERY nice even considering the low mileage. Nearly no driver seat wear, no cracked dash or door panels, and the carpet is clean. Even the steering wheel and head unit buttons look darn near untouched.

These cars seem to be at a odd time in terms of pricing. Some think you should never pay above any book value for "these old cars". On the other end some dealers are trying to sell them like they are made of gold. And as a consumer/f-body enthusiast seeing slim inventory of lower mileage cars, I am thinking "gee, I wonder when the next opportunity will arise for me to nab one of these locally."

So, what's it worth?
Old 07-23-2014, 09:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd probably place it in the $10K to $12K range because it sounds like it should have better paint and body work for 29K miles. It the body and paint were mint it could have been in the $12K to $13K range. If that were local me I'd try to get it for $10K or less but most dealers will probably try to get $12K-$14K or more for it. For an extra $2K you can buy a similar 2002 WS6....and they are probably much easier to find with low miles and in mint condition. I see a very "similar" car to yours on line....if so they are reaching at $15K. The dealers know they can get well above book value for these cars with lower miles....they just will do everything than can to not pay it. There's very few low mileage Trans Ams out there in this under $15K price range. If the 6 speed on this car is still tight and right, maybe worth a bit more...that's really what you're buying is a tight-low mileage drive train. No way to know that w/o a test drive. You can try to negotiate the fixing the rear bumper, dent/dings removed, $$ towards new tires.

Last edited by Firebrian; 07-23-2014 at 09:21 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

Book value shows a 'good condition' 29k miles Trans Am in the $13,000 neighborhood via 'private party'. Being at a dealership means you won't be in that price neighborhood unless very fortunate. Is it?
A one owner, 6 speed, low mileage T/A is a real find and I would gladly pay a small premium over book as long as the T/A totally checks out. The issues you mention are not deal breakers but make for excellent negotiating points. Perhaps you can even have the dealership fix those dings, cracking issues as part of the deal. Even if you had to have it done yourself it isn't a deal breaker. $500 or less will most likely fix those concerns. Ref the tires, there is no way those can be the originals after 12+ years and 29k miles. If they are, then this car was absolutely babied over the years. That would be HUGE in my thinking. My '01 T/A came with Goodyear GS-C. I'm not sure about the 2002 but it is likely. If they are GS-C then they are the originals most likely. Wow!! I would be all over this car if the price was OK. Also negotiate $600 minimum for a new set of tires. You buy them, don't let the dealer throw Chinese crap tires on the car. Also see if the fluids have been changed in the car. Every fluid should have been changed due to age. Brake, Dexcool, power steering, etc... If not done you are talking another $500 at dealer pricing to change them all. More negotiating points.
I'm thinking the dealer probably wants $14,000. I would not pass on this particular car for that price if it checks out properly. After tires and the body work you would have one sweet ride for $15k.
What does the dealer want?? get back with us. I like to hear about real world transactions and it helps others very much.
Best of luck!!
Old 07-28-2014, 09:31 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks Firebrian and NC01TA for your replies - much appreciated. Since my initial post I read your replies, test drove it, and I ended up taking it home for what I think is a "ok" price - certainly not a great deal or a steal, and a bit more than I was aiming for (14 even or less). $14.9+tax was my out the door price. This is oddly only about ~$235 over what they claimed to have paid for it at auction, and they were willing to show me their records to support that. I still found that hard to believe but whatever. They first were offering it for $16.9 and dropped it a couple times over the last month or two to $15k before I took any serious interest.

More about the car itself. From looking at the title it appeared to be owned by a married couple. The tires are Goodyear RS-A models which were stock for 2002. I think these very well could be the originals. Unfortunately I don't have records of fluid changes or other maintenance. The car drives straight, doesn't leak, creak, or make other funny noises. Clutch is healthy with no slippage. T-top shades are still in the original plastic sleeves. No signs that this was driven in adverse weather. Door jams and underhood are very clean with no rust. I think I purchased someone's casual Sunday cruiser, and that is the main reason that lead to spend a little more.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Glad you got a quality car that you can have fun with. Finding a nice 6 speed TA seems a harder task these days than a similar WS6. Very few were really saved. I'd have taken them up on their offer to show their auction receipt.

Last edited by Firebrian; 07-29-2014 at 11:57 AM.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Yeah, that auction talk is nonsense. Dealers are dealers and there is no winning with them.
The bottom line is: you own a sweet ride for decent money. You did not overpay, not for a dealer transaction. Even if you feel you would have liked to buy the car for $1,000 less, in 3 years you won't even remember that $1,000 which breaks down to an extra $333 per year. That is not money you should feel bad about spending as long as the car turns out to be the right one with minimal repairs. If you own the car for 5 years, $200 extra per year. Now we are talking really a small difference. You see how insignificant it can be. I like to break things down that way. Even with new cars that cost $30k+. If you keep your car for 10 years (I have) and it totally self destructed and was worth zero, that is $3,000 per year, less than $300 per month. That would be OK with me for driving a wonderful car for 10 years. The good news is that the car is still worth well over $10k. Now the cost of ownership is even less. Just another angle to look at, even if you don't agree.
If I may offer a suggestion, as this is what I would do. After you buy your tires, change all the fluids and start from scratch on your schedule. You won't have to worry about if something was done or not, and you will be good for many years.
Best of luck with everything and enjoy your ride!! Nice going!!
Please post some photos when you get the opportunity.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:22 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys. I'm certainly happy to have found a clean one. I haven't had time to snap any decent pics, but the dealer still has the their pics up. This should give you a good idea of the condition: http://tinyurl.com/oez8z9f
Old 08-01-2014, 03:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shine
Thanks guys. I'm certainly happy to have found a clean one. I haven't had time to snap any decent pics, but the dealer still has the their pics up. This should give you a good idea of the condition: http://tinyurl.com/oez8z9f
Looks nice. Judging from the cleanliness of the metal fasteners in the engine bay I doubt this car saw too much cold/inclement/wet/snowy weather that would normally rust those in daily driving.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks for the link. Nice! A BIG
I just hope that decal comes off easy on the rear plastic, above 'Trans Am'.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:48 PM
Staging Lane

Oh yes - decal came off same day as I got it home. Plastic razor blades made quick work of it . Sticky residue was cleaned off with a microfiber towel and some Mcguiare's polish. Soon it will get a proper detail with claying and 2-3 step polishing to remove the minor swirls in the paint. Then it will really shine!

Quick Reply: 2002 Trans Am, 6 speed, 29k miles