What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

Real World Transactions

Old 07-30-2014, 11:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Real World Transactions

Hello All,

I don't post a lot here, but I do spend an awful large amount of time lurking.
So here's an idea for a thread, maybe even a sticky at the top.

Cut out all the speculation of guessing and post your real world transactions with details. a quick glance through with user submitted content, will provide some insightful information, and provide real trading values. Only post transactions that you have made first hand, or through reliable sources. No eBay, or craigslist BS.

I'll start with my personal accounts

1996 Formula Firebird 6 speed, 120K, had it repainted (8 of 10), my DD for 2 years
Sold in 2005 for $5000

1999 z28 134K 6 speed, good condition, My DD for 6 years, I acquired the car at 60K and put 75k on it.
Minor mods, intake, exhaust, 4.10's, LS7 clutch, maintenance records .
Sold in Sept 2011 for $7200

2001 SS 122K 6 speed, Stock, some minor interior cosmetic issues(sun visors, broken cup holder)
Sold in April 2014 for $7250

1995 Z28 88K 6 speed, excellent condition, minor mods.
Sold March 2014 $6000

I know there are a few of you who have made some recent sales and purchases, it would be great if you contributed the info here.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

The only problem with this idea is the lack of vital information that will either be left out or even omitted on purpose. Sellers don't like to openly admit they had problems with a car they just sold as it opens up possible issues with the new owner. On the reverse side many new owners won't admit to problems they had with their new purchase, leaving out ultra important problems the car might have had which resulted in the price being what it was. Pride and ego take over and important facts are never known. There probably won't be mention of Carfax issues either (number of owners, accidents, mileage discrepancies, etc...) Everything affects price and leaving out the details (which people will do) will make the whole so called 'real world' transactions highly inaccurate. Over the many years here on this site I have seen new owners shout out about the great deal they got their car for. The only problem was they left out the bad title part or the 150,000 miles on the odometer. Honesty and cars go together like oil and water. Sellers will lie about what they sold the car for and buyers will do the same. Humans are just bad when it comes to cars, no better than the horse traders of the 1800's. I've had people lie to my face about transactions because they want everyone to think their car is special or they got a great deal. Just one example: I saw a '70 Charger for sale at a car show. The owner told me the price and I left it at that. A month later I saw the same Charger with a new owner. I told him I saw the car for sale and that it seemed like a nice ride. Congrats were in order. What did I get in return? The owner was all indignant and said the car was never for sale and that he traded his car for it after approaching the owner on his own. I then even told him what the owner wanted for the car. "NO, IT WAS NEVER FOR SALE!" OK dude, whatever. Then we have the class of owners who insist their cars are not clones. This can be found with some SS and WS6 owners who either were fooled when they bought the car or are now claiming the fact after a hood and emblems were purchased. It never ends.
We also haven't even touched the issue of 'condition' yet. Do you know how many owners describe their 4 owner 100,000 miles cars as MINT?? It's a horribly misused word. 3% of all cars should be considered 'excellent' according to KBB. If you polled every owner here on this site about the condition of their F-body, the percentage would be close to 30% or 40% most likely. How can a young person, new to the game, describe a car the same as an experienced 'collector'?? It can't be expected and it can't happen 9 times out of 10. There are some that describe their cars as 'mostly stock' then list a dozen mods afterwards. I could go on forever.
While your idea would be great if all details were provided and honesty was actually used, it just isn't the case. All these 'prices' would do is result in people thinking they overpaid, when they actually didn't, or people looking for unreal deals that just don't exist.
There are always going to be disagreements on price. There are always exceptions to pricing too. Some people do overpay while some people do get great deals. You have to put those in perspective though and not expect that to be the norm.
Each poster that asks a question here gets the full gamut of opinions. He then can decide which voice he likes to hear or average everything together.
We are a useful 'tool' in that decision making process just like Carfax is a tool, price guides are a tool, and auctions are a tool. Nothing is 100% accurate, but together present a useful guide to making the right decision.

Last edited by NC01TA; 07-30-2014 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Added info

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Real World Transactions