What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

'02 ws6 t/a

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 06:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default '02 ws6 t/a

One owner t-top 2002 M6 Ram Air Trans Am. Has around 65K on it, stock except an SLP exhaust and a clean CARFAX. Seemed like a pretty straight car. May or may not need rubber. I'd likely update them this winter but current ones would pass inspection.

I've gained some knowledge from a few men here on LS1-T and have an idea on a good price. Just want to see if my ballpark thoughts are close. The intial asking price was SKY high and I guess their phone has been quiet because in a week the price came down $1,000.

What say you on a value? Thanks

Last edited by 1829; 08-06-2014 at 06:35 AM. Reason: Forgot t-top
Old 08-06-2014, 08:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Color? That's extremely important when valuing these cars. Add $2K+ for SOM and take away $2K+ for Pewter...
Old 08-06-2014, 08:32 AM
Teching In

White in color.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

White WS6's are desired by many. I like them. And the paint chips don't show up so easily either. A typical decent 2002 with 65K miles is probably around $12K or so. I'm sure the orig owner loves this car and "babied" it...therefore it's worth a $4K premium to them. But reality is that 2002's with 35K-40K miles have been listed (and selling) in the $13.5K to $14.5K range. A 65K mile car would be at least $2K-$2.5K less unless exceptionally mint for the mileage. If there's a 15K mile 2002 automatic Pewter car out there with a $2K deduction for "bad color," I'd be happy to buy it for less than the going rate of $18K or so for red/black WS6's (ie $16K).

Here's a listing of all the silver/pewter 2001-2002 Firebird LS1's for sale on autotrader with <75K miles. Only 12 cars. And not one of them priced at a give-away for the color. In fact, not a single car priced under $14K. SOM gets a good premium as the miles go lower and lower....not so much with miles as high as 65K. The other colors in 2002 are pretty standard and it really comes down to personal preference and the overall condition of the car.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/Used+Cars/cars+under+100000/Pontiac/Firebird/East+Lyme+CT-06333?endYear=2002&engineCode=8CLDR&engineCodes=8C LDR&extColorsSimple=SILVER&listingType=used&listin gTypes=used&makeCode1=PONT&maxMileage=75000&maxPri ce=100000&mmt=[PONT[FBIRD[]][]]&modelCode1=FBIRD&photosOnlyActual=true&pricesOnly =true&searchRadius=0&showcaseListingId=0&showcaseO wnerId=0&sortBy=derivedpriceASC&startYear=2001&Log =0

Last edited by Firebrian; 08-06-2014 at 06:50 PM.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:07 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys. Turns out it was in fact a two owner car that had been wrecked within the past year (and repaired).

The search continues...
Old 08-07-2014, 12:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

^^^^^^run away screaming. Good luck with finding another one. I do like these things in white too BTW.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1829
Thanks guys. Turns out it was in fact a two owner car that had been wrecked within the past year (and repaired).

The search continues...

Holy Crap. So it didn't have a clean Car Fax? You can't trust anyone these days...lol. Scratch off the 1 out of 295. Now it's 0 out of 295.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:45 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Firebrian
White WS6's are desired by many. I like them. And the paint chips don't show up so easily either. A typical decent 2002 with 65K miles is probably around $12K or so. I'm sure the orig owner loves this car and "babied" it...therefore it's worth a $4K premium to them. But reality is that 2002's with 35K-40K miles have been listed (and selling) in the $13.5K to $14.5K range. A 65K mile car would be at least $2K-$2.5K less unless exceptionally mint for the mileage. If there's a 15K mile 2002 automatic Pewter car out there with a $2K deduction for "bad color," I'd be happy to buy it for less than the going rate of $18K or so for red/black WS6's (ie $16K).

Here's a listing of all the silver/pewter 2001-2002 Firebird LS1's for sale on autotrader with <75K miles. Only 12 cars. And not one of them priced at a give-away for the color. In fact, not a single car priced under $14K. SOM gets a good premium as the miles go lower and lower....not so much with miles as high as 65K. The other colors in 2002 are pretty standard and it really comes down to personal preference and the overall condition of the car.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/Used+Cars/cars+under+100000/Pontiac/Firebird/East+Lyme+CT-06333?endYear=2002&engineCode=8CLDR&engineCodes=8C LDR&extColorsSimple=SILVER&listingType=used&listin gTypes=used&makeCode1=PONT&maxMileage=75000&maxPri ce=100000&mmt=[PONT[FBIRD[]][]]&modelCode1=FBIRD&photosOnlyActual=true&pricesOnly =true&searchRadius=0&showcaseListingId=0&showcaseO wnerId=0&sortBy=derivedpriceASC&startYear=2001&Log =0

Those cars are SILVER....not PEWTER (except for two of them). Huge difference...in fact silver is a slight premium over some of the other colors. If you don't know the difference between silver and pewter I would have to question your expertise on the subject. I would venture to say I have far more experience than anyone on here actually selling these cars and take if from me a pewter car will sell for $2K less than any other color (they may start out priced the same but they will come down before they sell)...or you wont sell it. As for SOM they DO sell for a premium and sell fast...5K miles or 105K miles its all relative. Saying the color doesn't effect the value is as ignorant saying it doesn't matter if its an automatic or a 6 speed.

People "look for" SOM they settle for pewter because its a good deal...simple as that.

Last edited by 97ramsst; 08-08-2014 at 07:54 AM.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:49 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Firebrian
Holy Crap. So it didn't have a clean Car Fax? You can't trust anyone these days...lol. Scratch off the 1 out of 295. Now it's 0 out of 295.
It very well could have had a clean carfax...if the accident wasn't reported it wont show up on the carfax. Carfax offeres a false sense of security to someone that doesn't know cars....but it can also tell you some things you might not have known other wise like odometer fraud (if the car had 140K miles on it in 2008 and now it has 78K on it there maybe and issue)...which is beyond common in these cars.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 97ramsst
Those cars are SILVER....not PEWTER (except for two of them). Huge difference...in fact silver is a slight premium over some of the other colors. If you don't know the difference between silver and pewter I would have to question your expertise on the subject. I would venture to say I have far more experience than anyone on here actually selling these cars and take if from me a pewter car will sell for $2K less than any other color (they may start out priced the same but they will come down before they sell)...or you wont sell it. As for SOM they DO sell for a premium and sell fast...5K miles or 105K miles its all relative. Saying the color doesn't effect the value is as ignorant saying it doesn't matter if its an automatic or a 6 speed.

People "look for" SOM they settle for pewter because its a good deal...simple as that.
Autotrader has no selection for "pewter" in their data base of colors for 2002. That's why I combined the "silver/pewter" in my earlier post because autotrader doesn't even differentiate between them. But, that hardly means I'm saying they are 100% equal either. Owner's of pewter cars would have to select "silver" as their color on autotrader....or make no selection at all. If there are no discounted silver and pewter cars, it's certainly true there are no discounted pewter cars. In any case I stand by my earlier statements. There is no "big deduction" for any color on your usual driver WS6's. But as NCO1TA mentioned, those cars may take longer to sell vs. a more popular car. Nowhere did I state above that color makes no difference in price. Other than SOM and special 1 year colors, color is a fairly minor factor in price.....probably <5% of the car's value on >90% of the cars out there. But to suggest a $2,000 deduction for pewter on the OP's 65,000 mile car is ignoring to the realities of the used car market. I couldn't find a $2K deduction for silver or pewter on autotrader or anywhere else (or for any other color). But if you can find a $2K deduction for a decent quality "pewter" WS6 at 50K to 75K miles please list it.

Last edited by Firebrian; 08-09-2014 at 09:29 AM.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 97ramsst
I have a pewter car with less than 500 (five hundred) miles on it I will take $20K for if you should be happy to buy then....that's about $5K less than a black or red one would go for. In fact its a 2000 6spd hard top Formula WS6 (last year you could get a hard top Formy)...how rare is that??? The only thing that sucks about it is the color....
Apples and oranges. I don't see how one can compare a 65K mile car to one with 500 miles. Those are in different universes with totally different sets of collectors/enthusiasts going after them. The >$20,000 WS6 Pewter car market might be radically different than the one for cars with >10,000 miles. I could see top end collectors for pristine cars requiring a rarer color or a color that excites them. Pewter doesn't fit that bill. I'll stick by the 0-5% pewter "discount" for decent cars in the under $15K range.....not 15-20%. An average SOM car with 65K miles doesn't automatically get a +$2K bonus as much depends on the actual condition of the car, especially the paint. Who wants to pay $13K-$16K for a 65K mile 2002 SOM WS6 with weak paint only to have to spend $5K or more to repaint it?.....and then you still have to worry about the significant investment restoring the rest of a 65K mile car as it ages further. If there are $2K deductions for higher mileage Pewter cars, they should be easy enough to find as Pewter cars were the 3rd most common color in most years. In fact, we should be tripping over them. Yet, I can't find any.

Last edited by Firebrian; 08-09-2014 at 08:42 AM.
Old 09-26-2014, 06:32 PM
Teching In

Can't believe someone would say to deduct 2K for pewter color. That's crazy! My nephew has one and no one gets more compliments than he does. I have a silver Hawk a red SS and a black Z vert and his rules! I wanted red or pewter when looking for my Firehawk. Thought the SOM were puke. It's all in what an individual prefers. period

Quick Reply: '02 ws6 t/a