What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

30k Mile 2000 Camaro SS

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 04:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 30k Mile 2000 Camaro SS

I have a chance to buy a 2000 Camaro SS with 30k miles on it. It's got a Lutani 383 stroker kit in it and 4.10 Torsen diff. One owner, 6 speed hard top car. Interior looks very clean.

The bad, need a new paintjob on the hood (clearcoat) and roof (faded black) and has a stuck lifter. I dont know if it is just a collapsed lifter or if it is stuck in the lifter bore and will have to get machined out.

What would you pay for it?

Old 08-10-2014, 09:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If the car was overall very nice, unmodified with good paint it would be worth around $13K give or take $500. I figure take $1K off for the paint. The front head lamps and bumper are blacked out/modified. Anything else? Tires? AC?

No way to judge the lifter issue, if that's truly what the problem is. I don't understand why the current owner wouldn't resolve that on their own if it's "just a lifter" issue. Whether it's worth more or less than a stock LS-1 with no problems is up to one's personal preferences. Too many other nice cars out there without problems to risk buying one with potential major mechanical flaws.

Last edited by Firebrian; 08-11-2014 at 08:19 AM.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 437 Likes on 316 Posts

Lots of excellent points above^^
I would strongly urge you to look in a different direction. This car sounds abused and has a strong potential to be a money pit, even with those low miles. It certainly wasn't loved like it should have been. I would also worry about the clutch, tranny and just about everything! Are you sure it is a one-owner?? It's not typical if it is, not for a 14 year old car. Now if you can get it for really cheap, and you can fix things yourself, you can always take a gamble. When I say cheap, I mean trade-in pricing for a 2000 SS in fair condition at best. That's what this is. My zip code shows it worth $6,500. Check yours out. What does he want??
Old 08-11-2014, 09:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

To answer your question ---- not much. That thing looks and sounds scary, meaning I agree with other poster saying to look elsewhere as that thing could be a disaster waiting to happen. And peeling paint on a 30K mile car? See ya.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:33 PM
TECH Addict

It is a one owner. He had an engine tick and parked the car to the side (outside) and earlier this year started messing with it again and the shop he took it to went through the heads only to find out it was a lifter. He said the pistons still looked good according to the shop but I dont know why they didnt just fix the lifter while they were at it.

I though peeling/cracking clear coat was a known issue on some of the SS hoods?

In short, I could probably pick it up for $3k.. He is asking $3500 for it.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:42 PM
TECH Regular

for 3k id take the gamble
Old 08-11-2014, 05:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by my bandit
It is a one owner. He had an engine tick and parked the car to the side (outside) and earlier this year started messing with it again and the shop he took it to went through the heads only to find out it was a lifter. He said the pistons still looked good according to the shop but I dont know why they didnt just fix the lifter while they were at it.

I though peeling/cracking clear coat was a known issue on some of the SS hoods?

In short, I could probably pick it up for $3k.. He is asking $3500 for it.

Rather than posting this thread why not just buy the car? Not likely anyone here was going to suggest you only pay $2K for it. It's part out value is probably more than what they're asking. I don't think a peeling hood is the norm for well-kept low mileage vehicles. For cars stored for years outside in all type of elements (especially hot sun) it's probably pretty common.

Quick Reply: 30k Mile 2000 Camaro SS