What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

what's my 01 Formula Hardtop worth?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 06:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what's my 01 Formula Hardtop worth?

New guy here. I recently bought a 2001 Formula Firebird hardtop 6 speed. The car has a 104k miles. Mods include longtubes, sinister cam, SLP lid, smooth bellow, electric cutout, and a gear. Inside and out the car is absolutely immaculate. No flaws. After doing some research, it appears only 56 hard top formulas with the 6 speed were made in 2001. Even fewer were red. Thought that was kind of cool. The car does have a rebuilt title from a collision. There was no structural damage and only the rear bumper and taillights were replaced. So I'm really just curious as to what the car is actually worth given its rarity and rebuilt title. Any (positive) input is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by rollincoal34; 08-20-2014 at 06:44 AM.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

5500 , that rebuilt title is going to hurt you .

8500-9000 if the title was clear
Old 08-20-2014, 10:08 AM

Ouch. I probably should've consulted the forum first. I gve significantly more than that first figure for the car.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:50 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

The things that make this car "rare" aren't really items that would increase it's value. Most Pontiac F-body buyers seem to prefer Trans Ams currently, and t-tops are a desirable option so being a hardtop doesn't make it more valuable. A hardtop Formula would be a great base for a race car build, but of course those sorts of buyers aren't looking to pay a premium just for that. In general, any premium for rare options would be greatly diminished once mileage has reached a point where the car is beyond being desirable to collectors (and 104k would definitely be beyond this point.) Flawless/immaculate condition doesn't exist for a 104k mile car, unless it has been completely restored, as no car that has seen 6-digits of public road mileage can possibly be without flaws. All '99+ F-bodies are also subject to roof panel bubbles, and the repair for this is more difficult and expensive for a hardtop model.

Generally, modifications will only add value if you happen to find a buyer that wants exactly what you already have done, and trusts the source that did the work (such as a well known local shop, etc.)

The rebuilt title really hurts the value as well.

Hard to state an exact figure since regional values can vary so greatly. But, due to the rebuilt title, the car is worth significantly less than whatever is "average" for a 100k mile LS1 4th gen in your area.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:12 PM
Launching!

Generally a rebuilt title takes about 25-40% of the value.

Imo even without the title issue it's a 7-8k car. So it's probably going to fetch about 5-6500k
Old 08-21-2014, 07:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by rollincoal34
Ouch. I probably should've consulted the forum first. I gve significantly more than that first figure for the car.
Next time! What's done is done. Just try to enjoy your Formula for a few years and hope for the best. If the Formula pans out for you, the price will become irrelevant and 'average out' after all that time passes. Where's the smilie for keeping your fingers crossed?

Quick Reply: what's my 01 Formula Hardtop worth?