What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

Help me decide between 2 vettes

Old 12-08-2014, 08:58 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me decide between 2 vettes

I am stuck on my purchase of a c5 corvette. I want a targa top 6 speed, and I'd like to keep it at $11,000 though I would go up to 13k for the right car. Right now there's 2 I'm looking at

1) it's a 1999 red with 90k miles and HUD and active handling. I do think it has the select ride control but I know most people say it either doesn't work or can't tell a difference, so I would probably upgrade to c6z06 suspension one day on either car. All stock with original window sticker. Great shape. Least he'd take is 13k

2) 2001 navy blue with 115k miles with hud and active handling. Has aftermarket exhaust and brakes. Otherwise stock and I doubt he has the window sticker but also in great shape. His best price is 11k

I do like the 2001 better because I know they came with the ls6 block and intake which the 99 won't have, and I'm not fond of the wagon wheels on the 99, but I did want one with active handling and hud which both of these have so can't narrow down that way. I know the intake and wheels would be easy to swap down the road, but I'm looking for the best initial investment and I'm not sure 25k less miles is worth 2k more for an older model. Which do y'all think is the best buy? Any help greatly appreciated!

Last edited by at1222; 12-08-2014 at 09:00 AM. Reason: more info
Old 12-08-2014, 09:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Normally I'd place the value of 25K miles at around $2500. But, that's typically for cars with a lot less miles. And 2 model years is probably $2000. So basically a wash imo. It really comes down to the condition of the cars and which one has more "life" left in it. If it were me I'd probably lean towards the newer car (2001), with more miles, but $2K cheaper. At $11K to $13K and high miles, I'd say window stickers have a lot less meaning. The cars have lost 75-80% of their new values such that current condition, not so much collectibility is the main driver. LS-1 cars from the 1990's generally get less respect than the 2001's and later. Their prices are typically less as well. 1999 will always be in the last "century."

I prefer the NBM over red as there are plenty of red vettes in the world. And those stick out a lot more on the highway for accumulating tickets. If the blue car had more highway miles on it those extra 25K miles could be meaningless. I don't follow the Vette market closely but they probably lose a lot of demand once they fall over the 100K mile mark. And nothing wrong with that if the car can get to 150K to 200K miles. In 10K more miles that 1999 falls off that same cliff too. $11K for a nice looking LS-1 vette doesn't sound like much money at all. Your major risks will come down to whatever mechanical systems will need work first (drive-train, suspension-steering, brakes, wheels-axle). A good going over by a trusted mechanic might help to reduce those risks.

Last edited by Firebrian; 12-08-2014 at 10:02 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help me decide between 2 vettes