What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

2000 Z28 automatic 38K miles

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 01:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default 2000 Z28 automatic 38K miles

I'm mentioning this car because it was just listed at a Connecticut Subaru dealer within 30 miles of me and sold within the week. It was also on Autotrader. At the time this was the only car the dealer had older than 2006. Red TTop with cloth interior. I had to be up in that area Tuesday so I figured I'd stop in to check it out. But that's not going to happen now.

Listed for $11,900. Details were scarce but got the impression it was 1-2 owner trade-in. Looked clean from the photos. Unmodified. What was different on this car is that it probably sold close to the original list price...and in <1 week. Every other Camaro or Firebird in my area has usually languished for months before the dealer starts pricing it more realistically. I was pretty sure this Camaro was going to have be lowered to $9.5-$10.5K to get sold....apparently not. You just never know. The listing has already been deleted at both sites so there's nothing to see. But, it's a "sold" data point. KBB/NADA dealer sell prices max out at $8866-$9437.

In the autotrader list below there's a silver '98 Z28 A4 with 19K miles from Mass. at $11,800 that has been for sale for at least a full year. Seems like a decent car...and just languishes.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/Used+Cars/cars+under+16000/Chevrolet/Camaro/East+Lyme+CT-06333?endYear=2002&engineCode=8CLDR&engineCodes=8C LDR&listingType=used&listingTypes=used&makeCode1=C HEV&makeCode2=PONT&maxMileage=45000&maxPrice=16000 &mmt=[PONT[FBIRD[]][]CHEV[CAM[]][]]&modelCode1=CAM&modelCode2=FBIRD&photosOnlyActual= true&pricesOnly=true&searchRadius=0&showcaseOwnerI d=1360232&sortBy=distanceASC&startYear=1998&Log=0

Last edited by Firebrian; 05-25-2015 at 01:59 PM.
Old 05-25-2015, 04:56 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by Firebrian
In the autotrader list below there's a silver '98 Z28 A4 with 19K miles from Mass. at $11,800 that has been for sale for at least a full year. Seems like a decent car...and just languishes.
I just looked at that ad. This is almost an exact duplicate of my '98 in every way other than the miles (mine has 2k less, and my original chrome 16x8s are in storage). Based on the VIN, I can tell that this example should be a March build date, somewhere between 3/13/98 and 3/23/98; so this means NO roof bubble issues.

There aren't enough pictures to properly determine overall condition, but the condition of the headlights would definitely suggest and confirm the 'garage kept' claim. Without seeing the engine bay/interior/undercarriage, it's hard to tell if there are any red flags with the car though.

Overall, if it's in the sort of shape that I would expect from the mileage, I would pay $10-11k for the car today, if it was closer to home and I didn't already have the twin of this car. $10-10.5k would be my top dollar offer if the car needed fluids/maintenance and wasn't well documented. I would do $11-11.5k if all maintenance was proven to be up to date, full or most paperwork was available, and the car had proper cosmetic detailing for a very low mileage garage queen.

I would shave at least $1000 off my above numbers if it was a later model that needed roof replacement which hadn't yet been done. I know a used panel can be sourced and painted/installed for less than this, but to me there is additional value lost in the overall hassle of dealing with this.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 05-25-2015 at 05:05 PM.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

There are some more photos available on their site link below. Maybe the reason it hasn't sold is that the price has been as high as $13,999. If this car was a late 1998 model, a year of summer storage outside wouldn't have helped any. And the one photo of the sail panel shows no bubbling. I wanted to list a decent car that has sold...and one that hasn't. 1 owner car.

http://www.redbarncycles.com/1998_Ch...152948163.veh#

Last edited by Firebrian; 05-25-2015 at 08:13 PM.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:31 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by Firebrian
There are some more photos available on their site link below. Maybe the reason it hasn't sold is that the price has been as high as $13,999. If this car was a late 1998 model, a year of summer storage outside wouldn't have helped any. And the one photo of the sail panel shows no bubbling. I wanted to list a decent car that has sold...and one that hasn't. 1 owner car.

http://www.redbarncycles.com/1998_Ch...152948163.veh#
Outdoor storage or not, that roof panel will be fine as the VIN suggests a March build date (it falls between two other documented VINs that I have for 3/13 and 3/23 of '98). March built examples were not subject to the process change that resulted in the bubbles.

Overall it looks proper for the mileage in those pictures. It's not the exact twin of mine though, as mine came with the factory CD player and ASR. I actually prefer the non-ASR cars though as the engine bay looks less cluttered without it, and for a garage queen you don't really need traction control anyway.

The interior looks very nice, but the engine bay, wheel wells and rocker areas need (deserve) a proper detailing.

I would be extremely interested in that car if I didn't have mine. I would be willing to come pretty close to their current asking price assuming decent records/maintenance. I guess it's good that it's so far away, if it were closer I might be tempted to buy it as a spare.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 05-25-2015 at 08:36 PM.

Quick Reply: 2000 Z28 automatic 38K miles