What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

What are chrome firehawks worth?

Old 10-14-2015, 11:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default What are chrome firehawks worth?

Thinking of selling my set of chrome firehawks off my 98 trans am, centercaps included. Wheels are far from perfect, the usual crap gm chrome peeling and bubbling. Hold air fine, just curious what they go for these days. All I ever see is $1-2000 price tags and never know if they actually sell.
Old 10-15-2015, 07:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

It's all about condition. That's why the prices are so varied. A quality set with no issues will fetch well over $1,000 while a set with issues, like you describe, might sell for just $200 as refurbishing will be needed at $200 per wheel. That's what it costs to repair. I know first hand from another car I owned. I can't imagine a so-so set of any rim fetching $1,000 unless in it's great demand. People can ask whatever they like. It doesn't translate into a sale.
*** When you say 'peeling and bubbling' are you talking about the exterior part (center cap to rim edge where tire meets the rim) or the inside area that you can't see unless you take off the tire or get down on your knees to study it?? If the exterior (the good quality chrome) is fine you can probably sell them for more. The inside can be sanded and re-painted with a chrome type paint or even silver. You can't really see it. I have waxed my chrome 16" rims since I bought the car off the showroom floor. The exterior is still near flawless with no chrome issues. However the inside part has developed that same peeling that you describe, but I've easily fixed that. Just want to make sure we are talking about the same thing. It will affect your price.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:26 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NC01TA
It's all about condition. That's why the prices are so varied. A quality set with no issues will fetch well over $1,000 while a set with issues, like you describe, might sell for just $200 as refurbishing will be needed at $200 per wheel. That's what it costs to repair. I know first hand from another car I owned. I can't imagine a so-so set of any rim fetching $1,000 unless in it's great demand. People can ask whatever they like. It doesn't translate into a sale.
*** When you say 'peeling and bubbling' are you talking about the exterior part (center cap to rim edge where tire meets the rim) or the inside area that you can't see unless you take off the tire or get down on your knees to study it?? If the exterior (the good quality chrome) is fine you can probably sell them for more. The inside can be sanded and re-painted with a chrome type paint or even silver. You can't really see it. I have waxed my chrome 16" rims since I bought the car off the showroom floor. The exterior is still near flawless with no chrome issues. However the inside part has developed that same peeling that you describe, but I've easily fixed that. Just want to make sure we are talking about the same thing. It will affect your price.
Outside, inside is worn away and was painted black years ago. They have not gotten any worse since I've owned them because I wax them every month basically and clean anyways but the outside still has some peeling and bubbling around the lug nut holes and by valve stem.
Old 10-16-2015, 07:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

Sometimes it's tough to imagine w/o photos. They sound like they need refurbishing unfortunately.
Try an ad that beats all the existing competition by a fair amount. If anyone is seriously looking they will make you an offer and then you can decide. If no responses that obviously means it is still priced too high.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What are chrome firehawks worth?