What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

This car 2000 Trans Am(ebay link)

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 11:48 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This car 2000 Trans Am(ebay link)

WIW?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pontiac-Tran...77042#viTabs_1
Old 01-29-2016, 08:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

A few things about this "auction" seem a bit off to me. For starters, I don't think I've ever seen a seller with such a nice, low mileage WS6 starting it so low. It's a vert too. Has to be worth $16K all day long if it's legit. The registrations look odd with the car being in Oregon all its life until 2015. But just after being registered in Texas, it reverts back again to Oregon. 3 owners on a 12K mile, normal production WS6 seems a bit unusual. Has this car been to the auto auctions and back a few times or on Ebay more than once? The seller's description is severely lacking....odd for a seller with nearly 300 feed backs. Their reserve could be over $18K which would basically be a waste of everyone's time. Even with the 2 sentence description it sounds like they will not be giving it up for less than a premium price. Is the car currently in Oregon or Texas?

If you can sort out this title/ownership issue, see the car in person, ensure it's not a scam job, has a legit 12K miles, then maybe you'll be on to something. The last WS6 I considered buying was a 12K - 2 owner NBM 2001 A4 vert back in 2013 for $17,500. I don't think you could buy that same car today for that low a price.

The tires appear original and probably should be changed if that's the case ($600). The AC system looks original. I noticed way too much wear on the radiator cap suggesting this one is not original to the car. Maybe they lost it and replaced it with a used one from a salvage yard? In front of the battery on the radiator support it looks a bit jagged with possibly acid or coolant stains visible. Something to ask about. Some scuffs on the driver's sill plate. Driver's floor mat well worn/stained a bit. Some stains/running fluid on the rear passenger door panel. Just noting these to show the car is far from perfect, though nice. It could be 12K miles.

Last edited by Firebrian; 01-30-2016 at 10:50 AM.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:10 PM
On The Tree

If it's legit, I'd say that's a steal.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

$10K is the starting bid. It's got a reserve set higher. With 6 days to run it will probably get to $15K or higher. Yeah, I'd buy it for $10K. Like 90% of all Ebay F-body car auctions, it will probably not reach the reserve the first time out.

Last edited by Firebrian; 01-30-2016 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 439 Likes on 317 Posts

What a horrible sales pitch. Used car salesman?? "Value will only go up?" "Won't last long?" Holy crap! I wouldn't go near this car just based on that alone.
IMO, it's an auction car that didn't sell in Oregon. Probably sold cheap and brought to TX to 'flip' where this convertible would have a better chance of selling.
Am I too cynical? Perhaps, but I've seen it way too much to trust anything with a description like that.
Old 01-31-2016, 03:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by NC01TA
What a horrible sales pitch. Used car salesman?? "Value will only go up?" "Won't last long?" Holy crap! I wouldn't go near this car just based on that alone.
IMO, it's an auction car that didn't sell in Oregon. Probably sold cheap and brought to TX to 'flip' where this convertible would have a better chance of selling.
Am I too cynical? Perhaps, but I've seen it way too much to trust anything with a description like that.
It's not owned by a dealership, has a Texas registration sticker on it, which dealers are required by law to remove. He might be a flipper, but I doubt that it's owned by a dealership.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by JC316
It's not owned by a dealership, has a Texas registration sticker on it, which dealers are required by law to remove. He might be a flipper, but I doubt that it's owned by a dealership.
Possibly, but curbstoners are a real problem these days. They are dealers posing as private sellers. Major car magazines have been writing articles about them and the California DMV has really cracked down on them. If interested in reading about these curbstoners, do a Google search entered as 'dealerships posing as private sellers'. Quite interesting.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:56 AM
On The Tree

Possibly, but curbstoners are a real problem these days. They are dealers posing as private sellers. Major car magazines have been writing articles about them and the California DMV has really cracked down on them. If interested in reading about these curbstoners, do a Google search entered as 'dealerships posing as private sellers'. Quite interesting.
I wish they would really enforce the curb-stoning laws. It's a huge problem out here in AZ and is destroying the used car market. I've reported several people to the IRS. It's almost like a hobby for me to catch them, wish I could get paid at the same time though.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:32 PM
Teching In

Sorry about the threadjacking but this curbstoning is bad news. After retiring from our state police, I got hired as an investigator for our motor vehicle administration. Our big issue in our state is we do what we can and charge these turds. Then...wait for it...wait for it... the prosecutors for the state typically rarely proceed because in THEIR opinion, it's just not that "big of a deal." In one of the seven counties I cover, the state's attorney there feels it's a civil issue and not criminal. Talk about spinning your wheels...
Old 02-02-2016, 08:04 AM
TECH Junkie

^^^^ Now that's frustrating. Congratulations on your retirement.
It's a wonderful feeling.

Quick Reply: This car 2000 Trans Am(ebay link)