What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

2000 Trans Am - low miles, 400hp, lots of handling mods

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 03:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Trans Am - low miles, 400hp, lots of handling mods

Having trouble even posting about this because it's my baby but want to see what it may command. I am the original owner. Car was never raced. Has 48k miles. I also had front number and hood repainted to cover up some road spray from my daily driver days. It's truly a snow car quality from exterior to interior. Only put about 400 miles a year on it for the past 10 years. Want it to find a good home.

I am big into handling and you won't find many cars that handle better.

I'd like 22k with all of the mods and condition. If interested I have a heck of a lot more pics but I'm just floating this out there now to see.

Slp loudmouth 1
K&N filter
Slp Lid

Custom Tune 400hp w dyno sheet

Slp subframe connectors
Hotchkis strut tower brace
Hotchkis front and rear sway bars
Bilstein shocks
Stiffer lowering springs
Random tech adjustable torque arm
Adjustable tubular lower control arms
Lower control arm relocation bracket
Panhard rod adjustable

Skip shift eliminator
MGW short shifter

C7 z51 replica wheels
Brand new stoptec slotted front and rear rotors and pads
Brand new continental extreme contact summer tires

Old 07-10-2016, 07:17 AM
Teching In

If I could only spell! Front bumper and hood were repainted. Meant to say show car too. Also left out it has a Spec Stage 2 clutch.
Old 07-10-2016, 09:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

I was going to ask about the snow car but I had a feeling about that.
Beautiful car and a very desireable one owner but that $22k price just isn't going to happen unless you get very lucky. Over the many years in this section I have seen incredible machines, with even more mods than yours, go begging for a buyer. The market is ultra thin and always has been for expensive modded F-bodies. Although I have posted about this countless times you have to take a step back and realize that the market that desires this car is a young male demographic. That's about it. Who has no money and has trouble even getting a loan?? Yup, young males. It stinks but it's reality. Are there exceptions? Of course, but they probably already have the cars they want. Mods bring very little in return. Even at $15k, who has that kind of cash laying around? A tough sell even though your car is probably worth every penny. Worth and an actual selling price are two separate things. I'm going through that right now with my AMC car on ebay. I have $20k into it and there are just no bites or even decent offers at $16,950. Lord knows what I'll be selling it for.
I wish you well if you sell. Definitely try, just don't expect it. Surprises are always nice.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:10 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the response. Where do people have the most success listing them? Cars.con, eBay, forums? All 3?
Old 07-10-2016, 06:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

^^^ If you can get the free listing on ebay, that's the place to get attention, but maybe not a sale. Be prepared for the juveniles screwing with your listing with BS bids and lots of tire kicking. My method with ebay is to ask high with a 'best offer'. That's what I'm doing with my Matador X right now. It eliminates the kiddies anyway. No one can bid without committing. I have over 1,000 views so that's quite an audience. I sold my '87 Chev SS Aerocoupe about two years ago with this method. A collector gave me a best offer and we had a deal.
I'm going with Hemmings next for my car plus ClassicCars.com has a special going right now that lists your car until it's sold for $79. Use Coupon Code: July20.
Hemmings may not be the place for your car but Autotrader would be a good site IMO. I have used them with decent success with my cars, and cars that I list for my elderly car club members. Autotrader is probably up to $50 now. Haven't used them for awhile. I avoid CL like the plague for many reasons. That's up to you. Best of luck!
Old 07-10-2016, 07:28 PM
Teching In

Thanks! If anyone wants to make me an offer I'll listen :p I'm going to take it slow. I don't need to sell.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:58 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$22k is pie in the sky dreaming. You need to take a look at the local market and see where the prices are at and also pay attention to what is selling and what is sitting at their particular price points so that you can get an idea of what you might get out of yours. Also, asking for offers in the "What's It Worth" section probably is not going to get you much attention; rather, list it in the "For Sale" section as an actual for sale ad.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't think there's any regular factory 2000 WS6 worth $22K today...unless it's a stock M6 with under 100 miles. And even then it might be tough to get over $20K.

Your mods are sweet for sure. But the majority of buyers will be looking at the 48K miles which is a lot for a WS6 show car....and the repainted hood. If I'm paying over $16K for any 2000 WS6, I'd expect 100% nice original factory paint. In November 2011 I passed on a 1 owner, 14K mile, black 2000 WS6 M6 at around the $16.5K level from a local Ford dealer. It was very nice and handled like a dream. But, $1K more than I wanted to pay at that time. They "claimed" to have an imminent buyer from Alabama or Georgia who was ready to fly up and buy it for $17.5K. That never panned out. Took them 6 months to sell that car.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:34 PM
Teching In

That's good to know. What's weird are that there are 3 f body trans ams for sale in my area. A '99 convertible with no mods for 19,500, a 97 Formula with 40k and no mods for 16k and a 99 anniversary going for 24. Is it just my area? I live in the north east. I know dealers ask for a 2-4K markup but that still seems high. I wanted to add mine to the mix and see what offers I may get.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:28 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a big difference between asking prices and actual selling prices. You need to pay attention to how long those cars have been sitting for sale, which I am guessing is going to be indefinitely at those massively inflated asking prices.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:34 AM
Launching!

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Perform some research on here and Autotrader and Craigslist. The modifications you have aren't all that hard to reverse if someone was interested in an original handling and looking car.

The re-paint will hurt the value. The condition of your vehicle looks very good on the interior and exterior.

I am thinking the value of your car will be in the 12-14K area.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Caddyshackgolf18
That's good to know. What's weird are that there are 3 f body trans ams for sale in my area. A '99 convertible with no mods for 19,500, a 97 Formula with 40k and no mods for 16k and a 99 anniversary going for 24. Is it just my area? I live in the north east. I know dealers ask for a 2-4K markup but that still seems high. I wanted to add mine to the mix and see what offers I may get.
I'm in the northeast too and I don't think the dealer prices are that far off. Though there are always exceptions. I recall a dealer up in the Hyannis, MA area with a pair of WS6's for 1-2 years. They probably still own them! Their name began with a "B" as I recall. They wanted in the mid to lower $20's for their WS6's with over 20k miles....and they both weren't 2002's either. I called them to inquire and they didn't even bother to call me back. They were just fishing for that sucker who would pony up in the $20's for cars worth in the mid to upper teens.

A 1999 anniv WS6 could easily be worth $24K....esp. if a convertible. Those cars are in great demand and bring from $15K to $35K depending on mileage.

Quick Reply: 2000 Trans Am - low miles, 400hp, lots of handling mods