What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

30th ann. ed Z-28

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 11:09 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 30th ann. ed Z-28

Wondering if the market is above KBB now(4300-4700). One owner just under 70k miles, bone stock 6 speed hardtop. One of 311 as equipped, white wheels and white leather interior. Car is original except for brakes, fuel pump, headliner, muffler, new vinyl stripes. Goodyear Eagles @80% tread. Have original window sticker, build sheet etc
Attached Thumbnails 30th ann. ed Z-28-20151227_112949-1-.jpg  
Old 07-16-2016, 02:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I feel like an Anniversary car isn't well represented by KBB to begin with. What do you need/want to get out of it? What condition is the white interior? I know that is notoriously hard to keep nice. Looks like a beautiful car.
Old 07-16-2016, 02:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't see where KBB even has a selection for the anniv model. That certainly understates the market price. And on top of that KBB gives no premium for a 6 speed....figure +$1,000 on that. Maybe Nada reports a fairer value on this car. Where do I sign up to buy these at $4775 "private party" pricing? I had a lot of fun with my 1993 black Trans Am M6. Wouldn't mind a 1997 Z28 like this one if it crossed my path. The white w/orange stripes anniv car is quite attractive and still has a strong following.

$6K-$8K might be a fair price for a plain old '97 Z28 that was clean with 69,000 miles. The anniv package might add another $1500-$2000. This sounds like a 1 owner car that was maintained well, and probably not beat on. I think $10K is top pricing for such a car and $8K would be very fair. I checked autotrader nationwide and there are 9 cars under 70K miles, only 1 of them a 6 speed. Clean, mid-mileage cars are not easy to find. The low mileage garage queens are easier to find.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...ear=1997&Log=0

Last edited by Firebrian; 07-16-2016 at 03:29 PM.
Old 07-16-2016, 08:50 PM
Teching In

You are correct, never beat on but also not babied...its only fun in 1st gear. Car is "spectacular" according to friends, but the leather has had it.I think the dye and finish of the leather used sucks, for example the rear seats have never been used but look like a kid covered them with white shoe polish- they have been loved with quality leather treatment since day one.

My question here is mostly for me to decide on whether to put some money in it to make it excellent in every detail or let it go as is. New replica 30th ann. leather can be had for $1100/4 seat set and word is those are actually nicer leather than GMs. Zero body rust(thanks GM for good coatings). Truth is I'd keep it and restore it to new IF I didnt have an RA6 GTO show car. I love the Z's looks but how do you argue with 600 (crank)hp and every mod ever done to a goat?
Old 07-17-2016, 07:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

I would repair the interior and make it 'like new' again if you still want the car. Selling it 'as is' I'd ask $10k and then negotiate to whatever you feel comfortable with. KBB is off on this one.
I know an older local car club guy that bought one of these about 5 years ago (automatic and a 'vert) and paid $14k for it with half your miles. It was pristine! They are very cool cars and I like them. The question now is whether you are ready to move on or let it go for under $10k. Good luck with your decision.
Old 07-17-2016, 09:21 AM
Teching In

My situation: 65 yo. retiring in 4 months. Blessed to be in excellent shape, from day one, the seat feels great when I drive. Then I get out and realize my back is NOT happy. I'm 5'8 and have the seat well forward, to exit I have to open the door more than there is room for in the average parking spot. So using the car is less fun than it could be. Add in 275hp and 3400lbs and half the "real" cars on the road can pull me, not happy to have MiniCooper S's hang with me.
BOTTOM line, after almost 20 years its time for it to go to a new home, especially since my GTO is uber comfy and almost as easy to enter/exit as an SUV.
$10K? a local retard had a handshake at $4k and didnt take it home cause he wanted a new muffler/pipes(removed to replace fuel pump). New Walker parts on there now.
Unfortunately for him, his wife got wind of it and pulled his plug.
Only reason he got the handshake was MY wife thinks you take ANY offer and I promised to sell it 2 years ago when I got the GTO. Lesson learned, DONT listen to wife , so I guess I lucked out.

Originally Posted by NC01TA
I would repair the interior and make it 'like new' again if you still want the car. Selling it 'as is' I'd ask $10k and then negotiate to whatever you feel comfortable with. KBB is off on this one.
I know an older local car club guy that bought one of these about 5 years ago (automatic and a 'vert) and paid $14k for it with half your miles. It was pristine! They are very cool cars and I like them. The question now is whether you are ready to move on or let it go for under $10k. Good luck with your decision.

Last edited by Widebody06; 07-17-2016 at 09:30 AM.
Old 07-17-2016, 09:45 AM
Teching In

Would like to get a few more opinions...better to restore the seats to new? or leave that to new owner? $1100 for OEM quality replicas.
I'm a DIY guy who will tackle any project rather than let someone else smurf it up but can see how the market shrinks as the price goes up.
As stated car has no body rust but was a DD so stuff like brake lines and bolton stuff is showing the age, paint condition(friends tell me to use "stunning") is excellent but has a few of the typical front end chips. Only damage history is rear end bump, dealer repaired by replacing tail light and plastic panel, I have the original repair receipt. Original spare, tools, manual and unused floor mats, no carpet wear, no interior wear other than seats. I doubt the car has 2k miles with a passenger in it.
Stating all this to get opinions on whether this would appeal to a restoration oriented guy or a weekend warrior.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think the car will have more appeal to the weekend warrior, drive it hard club. So what if the white leather is a bit faded or whatever?....as long as it's not ripped. Stunning cars with the looks of a Berger, but not the price tag. I'm a big fan of those hood stripes, especially orange on white. That's killer. Too bad they didn't offer anything like that on the regular Camaro SS production 1998-2002. The WS6's at got hood stripes 3X - 1999 anniv, 2001 Firehawk anniv, and 2002 CETA.

I thought you were joking in the 1st post when you asked if these cars are finally above the KBB $4300-$4700 price level. The guy that passed on that in the $4K's was an idiot. If you decide to tackle the seat covers take photos beforehand. But, if no one has been in the other 3 seats, in my mind you don't replace them. That's factory original, unused. Reminds me of a 1969 original paint 42,000 mi roadrunner convertible I was interested in buying back in 1997. The car had a white interior and totally original. It was faded to a yellowish hue, a bit cracked in the vinyl. I wouldn't have touched that one bit. Let the next guy do seat cushions if they want. If the outside bolsters on the driver's seat were worn through I might try to do just that. I'd maintain everything as close to original as possible. It's a nice driver in mostly OEM shape. It's expected to have some flaws. Whatever you put into the car before selling it, you'd probably only get back 30-50c on the dollar.

Last edited by Firebrian; 07-17-2016 at 07:35 PM.
Old 07-17-2016, 09:20 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the input. My problem is its all the seats or none as I've found no one selling individual replacement covers and no one locally can duplicate the non logo panels. Cant see spending the money for a set and not installing all of them, although I get the "survivor" idea. Unfortunately the drivers seat bottom is ripped and the perforated part is coming apart.
I guess the thing to do is offer it as is and if offers are low, then do the seats.

Originally Posted by Firebrian
I think the car will have more appeal to the weekend warrior, drive it hard club. So what if the white leather is a bit faded or whatever?....as long as it's not ripped. Stunning cars with the looks of a Berger, but not the price tag. I'm a big fan of those hood stripes, especially orange on white. That's killer. Too bad they didn't offer anything like that on the regular Camaro SS production 1998-2002. The WS6's at got hood stripes 3X - 1999 anniv, 2001 Firehawk anniv, and 2002 CETA.

I thought you were joking in the 1st post when you asked if these cars are finally above the KBB $4300-$4700 price level. The guy that passed on that in the $4K's was an idiot. If you decide to tackle the seat covers take photos beforehand. But, if no one has been in the other 3 seats, in my mind you don't replace them. That's factory original, unused. Reminds me of a 1969 original paint 42,000 mi roadrunner convertible I was interested in buying back in 1997. The car had a white interior and totally original. It was faded to a yellowish hue, a bit cracked in the vinyl. I wouldn't have touched that one bit. Let the next guy do seat cushions if they want. If the outside bolsters on the driver's seat were worn through I might try to do just that. I'd maintain everything as close to original as possible. It's a nice driver in mostly OEM shape. It's expected to have some flaws. Whatever you put into the car before selling it, you'd probably only get back 30-50c on the dollar.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Should be some answers out there on the best way to go. And with the hood stripes already replaced, I don't see why not go with a more lasting vinyl or even cloth option. If it were me, I'd probably just get some white duct tape for the seams and then a white custom seat cover that slips on over it. It's for driving anyways.

http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/appe...ptions-675254/
Old 07-18-2016, 03:42 PM
Staging Lane

OP, here is one for sale in my city for your reference:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/e...ationFlag=true

$13 500.00CAD = $10 400.00 USD
128000 KM = 79535 MI

Personally, I like your car better because of the hardtop. Your car is really sharp and unique. As for value, I can't offer anything. I always say "It's worth what someone will pay for it".

Good luck! It is a nice car and if were mine I would keep it as it is an unusual one. You just don't see those in hardtops. First one I have seen, in fact.
Old 07-20-2016, 01:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

where are you located?
Old 07-20-2016, 09:06 PM
Teching In

Annapolis Maryland

Quick Reply: 30th ann. ed Z-28