What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

98 trans am sport gold

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 11:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 trans am sport gold

Thinking of selling my 98 sgm t/a, wanting to get an idea of what you guys think I should ask. Has 177k miles, ls1 auto. Full exhaust, stock otherwise. Body is in good shape, clear coat peeling on the front bumper, paints good everywhere else. Interior isn't great, cracked dash and front seats are tore(they have covers on). I was thinking ask 5000 ish? I'm located in northeast oklahoma.

Last edited by LS99TransAm; 10-23-2016 at 11:38 PM.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

There are several threads here on WIW over the past couple of months discussing SGM cars in particular. Most here will not give you any premium for SGM with that many miles and other issues. Even that well used up, I'd still toss in a 10% premium whether that's on top of a $3K, $4K, or $5K value. Can't hurt to ask $5K. You may have to accept quite a bit less. At this time of year in northern OK I can't see much interest. There may be no interest unless it's under $4K. Might be best to wait until spring as you could get 10-25% more by then.

Last edited by Firebrian; 10-24-2016 at 10:49 AM.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:04 AM
Teching In

That's kind of what I was thinking, this time of year I think it'd bring 3.5-4k, springtime 4.5k, people are asking over 5k for their 225k+ mile ls cars around here, ls cars under 4k that arent wrecked or completely thrashed is rare here. 177k is average miles for these cars here from what I've seen, car hasn't been beat on just daily drove. Ill probably keep it over winter and throw on a new dash pad and I have some nice cloth interior I may install also to bring the value up some.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I think the SGM is a plus as those don't grow on trees. And there are specific enthusiasts who would like such a low production color. If it's a pre-May 1998 build, then you don't have the issue with the bubbling roof panel, another plus. With 177K miles, it would appear you don't have this issue. A lot of cars with that many miles are peeling clear coat on the hood, roof, hatchback/spolier, etc. This one seems fairly clean.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:07 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I have to disagree on any price premium for an SGM car such as this, unless you just happen to get lucky. It's well beyond collector mileage and not in collector condition, so the rarity of the color will likely do little or nothing for value or desirability. While SGM certainly has it's fans, overall it's not a popular/"in demand" color (such as SOM, Hugger Orange) for these cars and, once collector desirability has been lost to mileage and worn condition, won't be as easy to sell to the average shopper as red or black IMO. If it were mine, I'd price it slightly below the more popular colors of comparable mileage & condition whenever you do decide to list it. That might get some folks to check it out who otherwise would take a pass on the color. SGM/BPM/BGM just don't seem to carry any extra value once they are at high mileage/in fair condition.

177k is only ~10k miles per year on average, which may not seem high, but many of these cars have stopped being peoples' daily drivers. So I would call that mileage pretty high, even for the age.

I agree with Firebrian about waiting until spring, if you can.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I have to disagree on any price premium for an SGM car such as this, unless you just happen to get lucky. It's well beyond collector mileage and not in collector condition, so the rarity of the color will likely do little or nothing for value or desirability. While SGM certainly has it's fans, overall it's not a popular/"in demand" color (such as SOM, Hugger Orange) for these cars and, once collector desirability has been lost to mileage and worn condition, won't be as easy to sell to the average shopper as red or black IMO. If it were mine, I'd price it slightly below the more popular colors of comparable mileage & condition whenever you do decide to list it. That might get some folks to check it out who otherwise would take a pass on the color. SGM/BPM/BGM just don't seem to carry any extra value once they are at high mileage/in fair condition.

177k is only ~10k miles per year on average, which may not seem high, but many of these cars have stopped being peoples' daily drivers. So I would call that mileage pretty high, even for the age.

I agree with Firebrian about waiting until spring, if you can.
I agree, mileage is too high for the rare color to matter much anymore, I think I'll wait until spring and list it up $4.5-5k and see if anyone bites and lower the price if necessary, only selling it because I was given my uncles 74 camaro(he bought it in 82, 2 owner 40k mile car), and I'll need the extra money to fix it up.