What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

What is my 68 Chevelle worth????

Old 10-23-2016, 11:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is my 68 Chevelle worth????

Hey what should I be selling this 68 Chevelle for? Your help is greatly appreciated.

The paint is descent not a fresh paint job. It mostly needs interior work. It has bench seats with a few rips. This was originally a 68 Malibu with a 307/ automatic tranny. I bought it with a 327/ 400TH. I kept the tranny, but put in a 406 with afr heads. Here is what the car has, sorry its a long list:

Car runs, drives, and sounds great. Pink in hand in my name. Registered until 2017

Exterior:
Car has been under coated
red paint

Interior:
Bench seats
B&M floor shifter
Interior has sound deadner
Por15 rust preventative applied to interior

Engine:
rebuilt 406 small block (Less than 200 miles on it)
AFR aluminium heads
healthy cam
Proform 850 carburetors (p/n:67201)
Edelbrock Super Victor manifold (Edelbrock 2925)
Hooker Super Comp Headers
New Griffin aluminum radiator with dual electric fans (p/n: CU-00008)
MSD distributor
New MSD digital 6AL
New Mini starter (Powermaster 9612)
New 100amp alternator (p/n:141-657)

Transmission:
TH400
After market tranny pan
3000 Stall

Suspension:
New 12 bolt posi rear end
Complete Hotchkis rear suspension

Other:
4 wheel disk brakes
50 series Flow Masters
Autometer Tach
Attached Thumbnails What is my 68 Chevelle worth????-00n0n_5qxoetbog3k_600x450.jpg   What is my 68 Chevelle worth????-img_1248.jpg  
Old 10-24-2016, 10:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd try to take care of the little things (rips in seats for example) to optimize the presentation which means so much to these classic cars. Unlike our newer cars which tend to have a condition proportional to their mileage, these older ones are pot luck. So having just 2 photos to appraise it isn't enough. The condition of the paint, chrome, trim, interior pieces, undercarriage, trunk, etc. all play a strong role in the value. Have any of the original body panels ever been patched or replaced? Rust free and unhacked bodies are in bigger demand. What kind of things would you fix if you had the time and money? I don't see an antennae. The black wheels with trim rings seem a bit odd to me on a Chevelle.

It seems like a car worth in the mid or even upper teens. A lot of mechanical freshening has been done. It could be anything from $12K to $20K depending on the level of mechanical and cosmetic freshening. A couple years ago Chevelles were pretty hot. I'm not current on their pricing. What do you know about the car's previous owner history? And original documents still with the car?
Old 10-24-2016, 10:28 AM
Teching In

Thank you Firebrian. I was hoping to get in those ranges. You have a good eye, it is missing the antena.

Great suggestions. I really do like this car and would love to finish it, but too caught up in my 69 camaro LS3 swap now.

It is a rust free car, unhacked body. The chrome is in good condition. The car has been undercoated and cleaned up nice. I probably can find seats in my area cheaper then fixing these, ill look into that.

Also where I live in California there are really clean ones salvage title for $12K. Primered bodies between $6-11K. A few running primered $10-15K.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:26 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,458 Likes on 1,051 Posts

I basically agree with everything Firebrian said above. Chevelle pricing is all over the place, you can still find some decent ones for ~10-15k, but "decent" is not easy to define with these older cars. Sometimes they need body work, sometimes interior, sometimes mechanical - and sometimes a combo of all three. It would take a ton of pictures and some research on your local market to get a true idea of value.

Even "restored" examples are hard to price without an in-person inspection. Quality of restoration can vary so much, and oftentimes short cuts are taken on examples that are built to be a driver vs. a show car. You can have two of them that look extremely similar, condition wise, in overview pictures but that are ~$15k or more apart in value when really inspected carefully. Obviously it would be worth more if it had been an original SS car, or even if someone had done a proper cloning on it with a BBC. It sounds like it has a nice build and plenty of power, but everybody loves a BBC in a Chevelle - original or not.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:34 PM
Teching In

Thanks RPM WS6, i appreciate the feedback

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What is my 68 Chevelle worth????