What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

Need Help Buying

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 11:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Buying

Looking to find out what everyone payed for there f-bodys if they don't mind sharing. I want a trans am REALLY bad and I'm wondering if $7000 is a fair price for a trans am, and if $6000 is also a fair price for a camaro. I am only interested in the T-56 trany so I think thats why trans am's cost a lot more.
Old 11-15-2016, 12:08 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Both Trans Am and V8 Camaro use the same transmission, so that has nothing to do with cost difference.

There is no possible way for anyone to answer your question accurately with such limited information.
Old 11-15-2016, 12:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by johnny121
Looking to find out what everyone payed for there f-bodys if they don't mind sharing. I want a trans am REALLY bad and I'm wondering if $7000 is a fair price for a trans am, and if $6000 is also a fair price for a camaro. I am only interested in the T-56 trany so I think thats why trans am's cost a lot more.
There are thousands of posts here over the past few years on what people have paid, what people have sold for, what people have asked, and what people have appraised cars for. It's all here. Start reading WIW, classifieds, etc. You will get all the information you ever wanted. Without at least the mileage for whatever you are considering, there's no way to even guess. Price range on these is from $3K to $35K depending on model, year, options, color, mileage, condition, # of owners, modifications, etc.

I paid $11,950 for my 1999 SS Camaro back in Jan 2012. 1 owner car with 12K miles on original rubber. Only mods were an air lid and short throw shifter. The original shifter and lid were mint and came with the car as they came off in the first year of ownership. That's my input.
Old 11-15-2016, 06:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

The general rule of thumb is "you get what you pay for". IMO you won't find a really nice Trans Am or Camaro in that price range you are talking about. Are there exceptions? Of course, but the search won't be easy. They exist, but it's tough with many disappointments lying ahead. I feel that $10k would be a starting point for a clean lower mileage example that won't kill you with repairs as soon as you buy it. Nothing worse than buying what you feel was a decent car but then finding out it needs repair after repair within the first year of ownership. Even 'excellent condition' used examples with under 25,000 miles will need things, from tires to fluid changes in many instances. It's hard to realize that our cars are a minimum 15 years old since being built. I look at my build date of Nov 2000 and just have to pinch myself that it's getting near 20 years old.

Quick Reply: Need Help Buying