What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

2000 Trans Am Ws6 - Never Raced, Many Mods, Low Miles

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 07:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Trans Am Ws6 - Never Raced, Many Mods, Low Miles

Trying to get an idea what this may be worth to someone. Car is in near mint condition. I only put about 400 miles a year on the car. Has 48k miles, garage kept and under a cover. Only comes out every few months on weekends or to go to car shows. Handles better than most new top tier sports cars.

May not sell as I am very attached to car. I'm the original owner and have babied it from day one. Below are the mods and options:

Slp loudmouth 1
K&N filter
Slp Lid
Smooth bellows

Custom Tune 400hp w dyno sheet
160 degree thermostat

Slp subframe connectors
Hotchkis strut tower brace
Hotchkis front and rear sway bars
Bilstein shocks
Stiffer lowering springs
Random tech adjustable torque arm
Adjustable tubular lower control arms
Lower control arm relocation bracket
Panhard rod adjustable

Skip shift eliminator
MGW short shifter

C7 z51 chrome replica wheels
Brand new continental extreme contact summer tires

Brand new Stoptech slotted rotors and pads

Spec stage 2 racing clutch

Transmission fluid has been changed
Coolant has been flushed
Rear diff fluid has been changed
Brake lines have been flushed
High Performance plugs and wires
Attached Thumbnails 2000 Trans Am Ws6 - Never Raced, Many Mods, Low Miles-img_1242.jpg  
Old 11-24-2016, 08:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

At some point the car was driven appreciably before it went to the 400 miles per year regimen, otherwise it would have under 7,000 miles. It's good that you are the original owner and know everything about the car....a big plus when selling. Considering you seem pretty attached to it, no sense in tossing out guesses on what it's worth. For someone looking for a nice car with suspension/handling mods, and no internal engine mods, this would be an ideal candidate. With a 400 hp tune and that many mods to put more power to the ground, not many people will believe it was "babied." I didn't realize one of these could get to 400 hp with just a tune, lid/bellows, and exhaust. Even the 380 hp GMMG blackbirds (or Berger SS's and DEI's) apparently don't reach 400 hp and they have a pretty significant tune, special exhaust, lid, and internal engine mods. Though from what I've read those cars may have been underrated and were actually putting out 400-410 hp. Maybe more an insurance thing and to keep the Corvette owners happy.

Last edited by Firebrian; 11-24-2016 at 09:59 PM.
Old 11-24-2016, 09:46 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the response. The car was used a decent amount the first 3 years as my daily driver. After that I got another car and took it easy on this one. The car was tuned at injection connection in suburban Philadelphia. The owner, Dale Cherry, has experience with stock cars and helped with the fuel injection conversion in NASCAR. The guys are good. All I know is that I have the dyno sheet to prove it. I wondered how this was possible myself since I followed these boards and others over the years and had an idea of what this could put out. Nevertheless I'm happy how the car moves and performs.
Old 11-25-2016, 01:02 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Catback/lid/bellows/K&N/plugs/wires does not equal 400rwhp, no matter how good the custom tune is.

Having said that, was the engine removed from the vehicle for an engine dyno (vs. chassis dyno?) That would explain the power numbers then. Even a stock LS1 should come pretty close to 400hp on an engine dyno (assuming gross rating - gross would include headers/no emissions/no accessories - which is typical for engine dynos NOT performed by the OEM.) Otherwise, you (or the shop) must have used one of the typical percentage values (usually about ~15%) to reach an estimated engine HP figure based on rwhp observed from a chassis dyno.

If you have a chassis dyno sheet showing 400rwhp for your car then you either have more power enhancing modifications than the items listed above, or there was something screwy with the dyno or dyno operator. A 2000 M6 car might potentially reach ~400rwhp with stock internals, but that's truly a max effort proposal and will generally require every bolt-on and dyno trick in the book...much more than just a lid/catback. The reason you don't see any other LS1s reaching 400rwhp with just a lid/catback is because it's not possible.
Old 11-25-2016, 06:09 AM
Teching In

I think you are right. I should have clarified. It's the engine hp number based on a %. That would make sense. It's not the rwhp. I'm almost positive the engine wasn't pulled. Any thoughts on a value though?
Old 11-25-2016, 08:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

Looks wonderful in the photo. It's worth every penny of $15,000+ but I doubt you could sell it for that much. Worth rarely equates to an actual selling price in many instances. My car is also worth $15k all day long but I'd be lucky to get $12k for it probably. One owner just like yours and the same mileage, only mine is 100% stock with no mods which would actually be good selling points for a convertible.
You are most likely going to be in the same boat price-wise, especially right now during the holidays. Not worth selling IMO if you feel the same way about your car as I do mine. Not for sale!
Old 11-25-2016, 08:36 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the kind remarks! I'd only sell it to buy a c5 z06. I'm really torn as I'm sentimental toward the car. When you take care of it from day one it's tough to let go.
Old 11-25-2016, 10:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The only local sale I saw for a 2000 WS6 M6 in my area was being offered by a Ford dealer for $16,500-$17,000 back in fall of 2011. I don't think that car is worth anything more today if time and mileage had stood still. It was 1 owner, totally unmodified, 14K miles, black, orig tires, and drove incredibly nice. If that car was 48K miles at that time I'd have subtracted $2700 for the mileage difference.

I can't disagree with NC01TA's estimated value. No doubt any car dealer would have at least that high a price assigned to it. But, of course getting that is the hard part. $13K-$15K might be a reasonable range. If you catch just the right person looking for exactly what your car has to offer then you might top it out. Since you're not driving it much any more it's value is not changing much year to year....maybe a decline of $250-$500 per year. Since the car is not far from passing the 50K "mid-mileage" threshold (which plays with people's minds and emotions) you just may want to consider finding the next right owner before getting to that milestone. 48K sounds a lot better than 51K. The car doesn't owe you anything at this point and you know exactly what you have....and it can't ever be duplicated again, at least not for a 4th gen F-Body.

A C5 Z06 would be a nice upgrade. I've been "thinking" the same thing for the past 2 years. But reality always sets in. There's no guarantee that a Z06 wouldn't be plagued with issues to limit your enjoyment. Who knows what those other owners did to the car before you get it? But you know your car. And having owned about 15 collector cars over the years, I always wanted an upgrade or "what the next guy" owned after I had a car for a couple years. There's no duplicating original ownership from day 1. No way. You're a rare bird and one of very few left. It would be an interesting question to answer. Maybe less than 100 of you still around as original owners of 2000 WS6's. Maybe even less than 1-2 dozen. Considering about 8800 were built I think 1% is a fair number....probably on the high side though.

For an extra 50 hp on that Z06, which by the way is not really usable in 95% in our street driving, it's not all that much more "fun" than a 345-375 hp WS6. Your car is well depreciated. And the words "original owner" always brings a lot respect at shows, cruises, and get togethers. The grass always looks greener on the other side. And once you're there, a lot of times you realize the grass you just left was really the greenest. Been there and done that several times. If you were jumping up to a much newer model year the logic of being fresher works. But from a 2000 to a 2001-2002 there's almost no difference in age related issues....something all of us will soon have to think about as our cars hit the 20 year point in a few years. I recall buying my first 383 Roadrunner in 1992 (it was a 1969 4 speed) and at that time the car was "ancient" at 23 years old. We're not that far from crossing into that territory again, though our FBodies will generally be in a lot better shape as so many have been babied and kept as "toys" since very early in their lives.

Wait until next spring when demand pops back up. Just not the best time of year to be selling. Then revisit the whole issue.

Last edited by Firebrian; 11-26-2016 at 01:28 AM.
Old 11-25-2016, 07:38 PM
Teching In

Very sweet ride. Your right it's worth every bit of $15k. I'm in the market for one of these and I would totally buy it for that price. Problem is I only have $10k and not 15k. I think that's what the problem is. I think your best bet is to just sell to me . I'll take good care of her I swear.
Old 11-26-2016, 01:16 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by Firebrian
There's no guarantee that a Z06 wouldn't be plagued with issues to limit your enjoyment. Who knows what those other owners did to the car before you get it? But you know your car. And having owned about 15 collector cars over the years, I always wanted an upgrade or "what the next guy" owned after I had a car for a couple years. There's no duplicating original ownership from day 1. No way. You're a rare bird and one of very few left. It would be an interesting question to answer. Maybe less than 100 of you still around as original owners of 2000 WS6's. Maybe even less than 1-2 dozen. Considering about 8800 were built I think 1% is a fair number....probably on the high side though.

For an extra 50 hp on that Z06, which by the way is not really usable in 95% in our street driving, it's not all that much more "fun" than a 345-375 hp WS6. Your car is well depreciated. And the words "original owner" always brings a lot respect at shows, cruises, and get togethers. The grass always looks greener on the other side. And once you're there, a lot of times you realize the grass you just left was really the greenest. Been there and done that several times.
Some good points and great advice above.

I'm not the original owner of my '98, but I've owned it for more than twice as long as the original owner did. It's been mine for nearly 75% of its life, which is significant for a car that's nearly 20 years old. And it was a car that I specifically sought out, meaning its exact options, as a "redo" of my first brand new car from 1999. Doing this again would almost certainly not be possible, so to sell it would be a pretty final decision on this chapter. And for what? Even at only 17k miles, the money it would sell for would never get me another car this nice and with this great of performance. Perhaps, out of nostalgia, its original owner would value it as high as me, but to anyone else it's just a garden variety Z28.

Since you're not the type to change cars often (based on your 16+ years with this Trans Am), I'd say to not rush into anything. You can't undo this, so if you're not sure then I'd give it more time. Or, maybe it's time for multiple toys? Not sure if you have the room, but over the years I've found it preferable to wait until I can buy additional toys without having to part with ones to which I'm still attached. You'll always be able to find nice Corvettes of any generation, even ones that don't end up being highly collectible. I see really nice late C3s and early C4s pop up for sale all the time, even though they are 30-40 years old and not particularly desirable to high dollar collectors. You'll be able to find nice C5 Z06s for many years to come, and whether you buy one now or in five years you still won't be its original owner - unlike your current WS6. Point being, what you stand to lose might be more than what you stand to gain.
Old 11-26-2016, 06:27 PM
Launching!

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

You asked the same question back in July.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/what-wort...ling-mods.html

What did you do between July and now?
Old 11-26-2016, 06:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

14K. Beautiful car. I paid 16K for a car with 14K less miles that had a documented history of sitting in a garage most of the time and was 100% bone stock. I don't think I got a bargain either, wish I did. It took the previous owner many many months to sell it because he held out for a high price. It was 100 miles away, the exact config/color/etc that I wanted. A M6 BTW. ANY MOD would have detracted from my interest and offering price. I'm sure the car is great, but 22K for a 40-something thousand mile automatic? Not gonna even remotely happen. I've considered selling my car lately due to S-y life stuff. I'd be happy with 14K because I know that that is what it would REALISTICALLY sell at half way quickly. And that's for an 02 black on black M6 car. Set your sights lower and/or be ready to try and sell it for a loooong time. We love these cars. Not everybody does. It's a low end niche market.

Last edited by AnotherWs6; 11-27-2016 at 07:49 AM.
Old 11-26-2016, 07:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 70T/A400
You asked the same question back in July.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/what-wort...ling-mods.html

What did you do between July and now?

Nice catch 70T/A400. Sleuth of the month award! Guess, I still agree with what I said back in July. I had a feeling this thread seemed familiar. One thing that changed from July to today is that the front end repaint was not mentioned....a significant factor imo. I'm in the Northeast too and some of these cars do occasionally show up at dealers for fair value. I already mentioned the bone stock black 2000 WS6 M6 14K mile car back in fall 2011 from Enfield Ford, Enfield, CT...priced in the upper $16's. During that time I saw several LS1's priced right including my car which I bought off Ebay in Jan 2012 out of the Waterbury, CT area (1999 SS M6 with 12K miles for $12K). There was also a very nice 12K mile 2002 SS LE anniversary vert priced in the $19's. It seemed like the 2011-2012 was a period to find a lot of these cars priced right. Another was a 2000 Firehawk Formula M6 with 28K miles out of East Hartford, CT Honda dealer for $12K. That was a rip and yet didn't sell on Ebay on 3 attempts over a couple of months.

Last edited by Firebrian; 11-26-2016 at 07:40 PM.

Quick Reply: 2000 Trans Am Ws6 - Never Raced, Many Mods, Low Miles