What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

WIW- MBM convertible Trans Am

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 08:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default WIW- MBM convertible Trans Am

Hi everyone.
I've had a dream car of mine for a while now and am thinking of moving onto something new.
Its a 1999 Medium Blue Metallic Trans Am convertible with the LS1 and T56. The color is rare- only 157 made, 24 were Trans Ams,, and less had 6-speeds. The current guess is 6-7, but less than 10 made in this configuration. Single digit rarity, but we're still talking about a 4th gen here.

Some minor blemishes on the body, but no dents, dings, rust (just normal surface rust underneath), rot, or accidents. Clean title, clean Car Fax. Always garaged, driven only in summer into fall.

Interior is in very good shape. There is a small puncture in the passenger seat leather. Dash is not cracked, the door panel tops have small cracks that are pretty common. Everything works- AC, heat, top, etc. Top is in fantastic condition, like new.

Engine and transmission run perfectly at 127,xxx- approximately 8k/year over the life of the car. 100% stock. Regular oil changes, a serpentine belt (old was tired), tires, and new spark plugs/wires are all that have been needed. Suspension is in good shape. Tires have less than 3k on them and are BF Goodrich Sport Comp 2s. It really needs nothing.

Whats a fair price to list it for/come up with a reserve?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by frapjap; 01-02-2017 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

What year is it?? I really like that color but the mileage is going to keep the value down.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:54 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NC01TA
What year is it?? I really like that color but the mileage is going to keep the value down.
Whoops! Sorry about the year. I edited the post.
Its a 1999 Medium Blue Metallic Trans Am convertible with the LS1 and T56. The color is rare- only 157 made, 24 were Trans Ams,, and less had 6-speeds. The current guess is 6-7, but less than 10 made in this configuration.
Old 01-02-2017, 03:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

No problem. I really like different and your car fits the bill. Book value, like KBB, will probably be around $6,000 or so. With your car being stock, apparently unabused, with a nice maintenance history, I wouldn't be afraid to ask $8,500 or in that neighborhood. New quality tires is a real plus. Despite the rare color you can't be too high over book with those miles or no one will respond to your ad. That's my best estimate anyway without getting too optimistic, especially right now during the winter months. If you can wait until Spring you might have success. Cruising all the way to P-town on Cape Cod with the top down is a blast. We did just did that a few years ago in our T/A 'vert. Good times! Best of luck with your sale.
Old 01-02-2017, 06:09 PM
Teching In

Thank you for the response!

I didn't know it was a rare car at the time of purchase, and honestly, if it were black, red, or any other color, the car never would have caught my eye. Like you- its about something you don't see every day.

You're definitely right about winter sales, its not going to do well in the north east, but in places like FL, AZ, TX, etc its the prime time. My original thought was to list it on BaT, and they've suggested a reserve of ~5k. Which, I mean, doesn't seem bad. I'd be thrilled to get 8k for the car, but am not too confident in the market with what looks like "high mileage" to the normal buyer.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by frapjap
Thank you for the response!

You're definitely right about winter sales, its not going to do well in the north east, but in places like FL, AZ, TX, etc its the prime time.
It's driving season in some of those other places, but the car probably has to be shipped which is another big chunk of change. And not too many people are going to fly in to check it out, then fly back home....more chunks of change. Even though the weather is nice in FL, AZ, TX, things still slow down there as well in the winter months (Nov-March).

I agree that $8500 is not out of the question. It's a rare car, especially with the 6 speed and vert. Even with 127K miles there are some people looking for a presentable one of these...and the rarer the better. I couldn't see getting under $7K for it. And 127K is not high mileage if you can show the car is still in nice condition for the age....say looking more like 75K-100K miles. It shows pretty well from these photos. KBB will undersell this car as it gives no premium for M6 (+$1000) and nothing for that color (figure +10%). I know I'd be happy to pay a 10% premium for this color over a regular red/silver car. I love the sky blue colors...similar to B5 blue in early Mopars or Marina Blue in the early Chevys. Figure KBB and NADA to be off by $1500-$1750 imo. The rare greens of 1999 are desirable as well.....though imo nowhere near as nice looking as this blue. It's probably the best color combo you could pick for a Trans Am or Firebird. The car would probably do a lot better in the southern half of the USA. New England isn't prime time for verts and a lot of people just won't make the trip for a car only worth $8K. Then again, they might think it's that much money that they just buy it sight unseen and have it shipped.

Last edited by Firebrian; 01-03-2017 at 07:12 PM.

Quick Reply: WIW- MBM convertible Trans Am