What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

1970 chevelle, good buy or not a chance? Help!

Old 12-16-2016, 10:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1970 chevelle, good buy or not a chance? Help!

Well I'm looking at buying this chevelle and was wondering what thoughts some of you have?

http://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/3387661

He is sticking very close to $14,000 on it, it is not an original SS But is an original v8 car. The car runs and drives very well (according to him) and he's spent nearly $23,000 on it (including the price of the car) and has reciepts for the work. it will come with a 12 bolt posi rear end and it needs paint (obviously) inner fender and drivers fender replaced, which he has. It was a factory ac car but don't think it works and it has an aftermarket radio. It needs some suspension love and disc brake upgrade front and rear. Most of the body work has been done and looks to be a decent job.

Im wondering if this would be a potential build to make money on or if this would just be a car to keep since I'd lose on the build? Any advice would be helpful thanks!
Old 12-16-2016, 10:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the link is not working but it sounds like a lot of $$ for a car that needs paint needs suspension upgrades and is still drum brakes all around....

your best bet is to buy a car someone completed because other than low miles ,low production numbers matching numbers cars the market is down.

My boss has 2 extremely nice 69 ss clones both cars were in the 35 or 40 k to build cars at the time one is small block 4 speed 12 bolt 373 chevelle cherry color, the other is big block 4 speed 12 bolt 373 black el camino and both cars need nothing and could be brought to any local car show and be among the nicest chevelle/camino's there I have had them both listed for sale for $25k each with no takers , probably could own either car for $22-23k cash deal. Both are in one of our warehouses year round heated storage the el camino wasa drag car for decades and has the cleanest undercairrage you will see , the original body bisquits don't even have any weather cracking in them. I looked at the chevelle before he bought it a dozen years ago , the guy that owned it and did the frame off replaced literally every nut and bolt , everywhere I looked I saw fresh correct looking fasteners. I owned a lot of Chevelles back in the day and would love to own either car , come on up and pick one !
Attached Thumbnails 1970 chevelle, good buy or not a chance? Help!-photo0771.jpg  

Last edited by murphinator; 12-16-2016 at 10:53 PM.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:59 PM
Teching In

Did you copy and paste the link? should work if you do that! yeah I priced it all out and seems that it would cost me $30k to build, cost of the car included, and the market seems to be selling nice ss clones around the 30-38k mark right now (according to asking price). its a built 454 bored out to a 463 so the motor is nice, with a rebuilt 400 with a 3000 stall. the interior was just 'done' as well. Does that change things or are you still thinking the same? Not very knowledgeable on the subject and am trying to find a really nice car to build and sell for either the same amount into it or more! your advice definitely helps! and hey i might be interested send the links! Thanks!
Old 12-16-2016, 11:20 PM
12 Second Club

I don't have either car listed currently so no link , I did post a single pic of the chevelle I have more on my phone , I just looked to see if I had pics on my phone or photobucket of the camino but I do not , both cars are currently in a finished room with about 10 vehicles in the middle of one of our boat storage warehouses , neither car wants for anything if they need something they get it. Yes people ask 35-40k because they are trying to recoup what they spent building their cars I have friend about 30k into building another 69 ss clone and he started by paying 18k for a car in nice shiny red paint southern car and the dollars keep adding up and its not as nice as the cars at my work - ho should have taken the 40 minute drive to see my bosses cars and didn't lol . Around here its 8-10 k just to do a proper paint job ( all panels removed for paint , all jams done right etc...

If you have interest in the camino ( black laser straight) I can get you pics next week I will hop back on my phone and add some more pics of the chevelle that I have since you seem to have interest , give me 10 minutes they will be on here...
Old 12-16-2016, 11:29 PM
12 Second Club

The frame off pics are pics of polaroids that came with the car , the guy that we got it from built the car with friends , he was a customer at our marina and did a very nice job building it.

You can see the black camino in the background of the pic with the hood and trunk open , the other 87 is a real ss el camino you can see in the corner of the pic can be bought for 11,500 I watched the marina owners dad dump 10k + in drivetrain , exhaust ,interior ,etc.. in the car a dozen years ago , it hasn't seen 500 miles since built , 383 fast burn aluminum head gm crate motor that was about $5500 itself ( have all receipts) then demon carb , hooker or hedman coated headers , aftermarket hei distributor , stall trans rebuild ,nice flowmaster mandrel bent exhaust ,etc.. none of these cars get used.
Attached Thumbnails 1970 chevelle, good buy or not a chance? Help!-photo0763.jpg   1970 chevelle, good buy or not a chance? Help!-photo0764.jpg   1970 chevelle, good buy or not a chance? Help!-photo0768.jpg   1970 chevelle, good buy or not a chance? Help!-photo0767.jpg   1970 chevelle, good buy or not a chance? Help!-photo0769.jpg  

1970 chevelle, good buy or not a chance? Help!-photo0770.jpg   1970 chevelle, good buy or not a chance? Help!-photo0772.jpg   1970 chevelle, good buy or not a chance? Help!-photo0766.jpg   1970 chevelle, good buy or not a chance? Help!-photo0765.jpg   1970 chevelle, good buy or not a chance? Help!-photo0773.jpg  

Last edited by murphinator; 12-16-2016 at 11:42 PM.
Old 12-17-2016, 12:07 AM
12 Second Club

http://www.unclehenrys.com/classifie...6108%234487400

I found a listing on the camino that was still active , local site that craigs list has kind of made irrelevant , only allowed a couple pics but its enough to see what the exterior looks like.
Old 12-17-2016, 01:26 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,462 Likes on 1,054 Posts

Originally Posted by murphinator
My boss has 2 extremely nice 69 ss clones both cars were in the 35 or 40 k to build cars at the time one is small block 4 speed 12 bolt 373 chevelle cherry color, the other is big block 4 speed 12 bolt 373 black el camino and both cars need nothing and could be brought to any local car show and be among the nicest chevelle/camino's there I have had them both listed for sale for $25k each with no takers , probably could own either car for $22-23k cash deal. Both are in one of our warehouses year round heated storage the el camino wasa drag car for decades and has the cleanest undercairrage you will see , the original body bisquits don't even have any weather cracking in them. I looked at the chevelle before he bought it a dozen years ago , the guy that owned it and did the frame off replaced literally every nut and bolt , everywhere I looked I saw fresh correct looking fasteners. I owned a lot of Chevelles back in the day and would love to own either car , come on up and pick one !
I'm not an expert on El Camino pricing by any means, but as for the Chevelle I'm surprised you can't get it sold for ~$25k if it's that nice. I guess the SBC is holding it back, most people want a big block as part of the package if they're shopping for a Chevelle SS clone (though, based on the pictures, that's not really a "clone" as it still has some non-SS trim pieces in addition to the SBC.) I'm sure you could get your asking price in my region; a nut-and-bolt restored '69 SS, or SS clone with BBC, would be anywhere from $30-50k+ depending on content and quality of restoration. An SBC is obviously not worth as much, but if all the other cosmetics and mechanics are ideal then it's just a BBC swap away from being a ~$35k+ car.....so $25k certainly seems fair as-is.
Old 12-17-2016, 02:02 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I'm not an expert on El Camino pricing by any means, but as for the Chevelle I'm surprised you can't get it sold for ~$25k if it's that nice. I guess the SBC is holding it back, most people want a big block as part of the package if they're shopping for a Chevelle SS clone (though, based on the pictures, that's not really a "clone" as it still has some non-SS trim pieces in addition to the SBC.) I'm sure you could get your asking price in my region; a nut-and-bolt restored '69 SS, or SS clone with BBC, would be anywhere from $30-50k+ depending on content and quality of restoration. An SBC is obviously not worth as much, but if all the other cosmetics and mechanics are ideal then it's just a BBC swap away from being a ~$35k+ car.....so $25k certainly seems fair as-is.

just wondering if you checked out the listing I was looking at buying, the more input the better!
Old 12-17-2016, 03:35 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,462 Likes on 1,054 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor Raleigh
just wondering if you checked out the listing I was looking at buying, the more input the better!
Considering it's a '70 (most popular/valuable year) and has a fresh BBC and TH400, that price is probably pretty decent as the car sits (assuming all those replacement items are as nice and well done as claimed - you'd really have to inspect it in person.)

However I don't see you making any money on this car, if that's the goal. To finish it.....well, it still needs A LOT (not sure why people tend to imply that it's "almost done" when it still needs prepping and full paint - doing that properly could easily cost into the 5-figure range if you want show quality and do none of the prep work yourself.) Beyond the obvious exterior stuff, it looks like parts of the interior are still not restored, and then the rear end should be gone through prior to reinstall. Probably other odds and ends to still be dealt with as well. But, to get one that's as perfect as this car would be (if you spent the money to finish it properly) won't really be much cheaper, at least not in my region. So if you're looking for a project, or want something that's more affordable up front and can be driven with only minor work then finished later when money allows, this could be a good candidate. Definitely check it out in person before getting too excited though. It can be a big hassle to do, or even just complete, a restoration like this - especially if you're not familiar with the work and/or don't have shops lined up that you already know and trust. If your goal would be to complete it right away, and to the highest level, I think you'd be better off buying one that's already done (unless you specifically desire a project of this level), or one that was previously restored but perhaps just needs a minor refresh.
Old 12-17-2016, 07:25 AM
Teching In

Considering it's a '70 (most popular/valuable year) and has a fresh BBC and TH400, that price is probably pretty decent as the car sits (assuming all those replacement items are as nice and well done as claimed - you'd really have to inspect it in person.)

However I don't see you making any money on this car, if that's the goal. To finish it.....well, it still needs A LOT (not sure why people tend to imply that it's "almost done" when it still needs prepping and full paint - doing that properly could easily cost into the 5-figure range if you want show quality and do none of the prep work yourself.) Beyond the obvious exterior stuff, it looks like parts of the interior are still not restored, and then the rear end should be gone through prior to reinstall. Probably other odds and ends to still be dealt with as well. But, to get one that's as perfect as this car would be (if you spent the money to finish it properly) won't really be much cheaper, at least not in my region. So if you're looking for a project, or want something that's more affordable up front and can be driven with only minor work then finished later when money allows, this could be a good candidate. Definitely check it out in person before getting too excited though. It can be a big hassle to do, or even just complete, a restoration like this - especially if you're not familiar with the work and/or don't have shops lined up that you already know and trust. If your goal would be to complete it right away, and to the highest level, I think you'd be better off buying one that's already done (unless you specifically desire a project of this level), or one that was previously restored but perhaps just needs a minor refresh.
yeah I don't see why they say it's nearly done when there are still a million things to do, the interior is definitely the closest to being finished but you're right it still needs a little bit of love. In your eyes how much would you think it would cost to get it to a decent show quality build? I priced out 90% of everything and factored in the odds in ends that would probably add up to $2000 ishband came up with a total investment of 32,000 and I don't know if there's any room to make money on. My goal is to learn as much as possible about building a car, and starting with one that has the engine work done, most of the interior, and a lot of body work seems to be a good way to go, would you agree? Oh and how much do you think it would cost for a decent black with white stripe paint job, with some of the body work done?

Thank you, your insight is definitely helpful
Old 12-17-2016, 07:28 AM
Teching In

yeah I don't see why they say it's nearly done when there are still a million things to do, the interior is definitely the closest to being finished but you're right it still needs a little bit of love. In your eyes how much would you think it would cost to get it to a decent show quality build? I priced out 90% of everything and factored in the odds in ends that would probably add up to $2000 ishband came up with a total investment of 32,000 and I don't know if there's any room to make money on. My goal is to learn as much as possible about building a car, and starting with one that has the engine work done, most of the interior, and a lot of body work seems to be a good way to go, would you agree? Oh and how much do you think it would cost for a decent black with white stripe paint job, with some of the body work done?

Thank you, your insight is definitely helpful
Old 12-17-2016, 07:55 AM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

In my opinion, and as a Chevelle owner, I don't think $14k it too bad if the car is what he says it is. Meaning solid floors, trunk, etc. If you have very little to no body work to do and the car is a solid foundation then, it may be ok. As far as the suspension and brakes, maybe the owner didn't get to that aspect of the build yet and that was next on the list. Assuming the motor/tranny combo is legit and as he says then that's half of the asking price right there. Throw in the body work and parts he has listed I'd agree with him, I think $14k is not a bad asking price for a newly rebuilt motor that running good and some body work already done to the car. Just because he hasn't done the suspension and brakes doesn't negate the fact of what has already been done to the car. If it's in your price range, I'd say go for it. But, keep in mind that the car will possible need another $14k to complete.

Analyze his parts list and I'd think $14k is a decent asking price.

Engine & Transmission $7244
- 454 block bored .40 over = 463 cubic inches (loud and fast as hell)
- Eagle Street & Strip Pistons
- Stage 2 Crower Cam
- New STD Rod Bearings & STD Main Bearings
- NewGM Oil Pump
- New EPW Timing Kit
- New Sealed Power Moly Rings
- New Intake Manifold
- New Hedman Ceramic Coated Headers w/ collectors - $530
- New Holley 800 CFM Double Pumper & New Linkage
- New Milodon Oil Pan
- Rebuilt TH400 Trans w/ New 3000 Stall - $2100
- New Water Pump
- New Flex Plate
- New Alternator
- Rebuilt Heads
- New Distributor
- New Battery
- Labor and Install - $1637

Extras $2000
- New 3/8 Stainless Fuel Line
- New 20 Gallon Gas Tank w/ Straps
- New Aluminum Champion 3-Row Radiator w/ Insulators
- New GM Fan Shroud
- New Fan-Flex-a-lite $36
- New Fan Clutch $36
- New Rear View Mirror
- New Horse Shoe Shifter w/ Linkage $195
- Labor on Install - $800
- Miscellaneous Total Parts $800
Body $4880
- New Dynacorn LS6 Cowl Induction Hood - $415(shipped)
- New Dynacorn Passenger Fender - $410 (shipped)
- New (I think) Dynacorn Driver Fender - $410 (shipped)
- New Dynacorn Passenger Inner Fender w/ New Bolts - $237 (shipped)
- New Dynacorn Driver Inner Fender w/ New Bolts - $237 (shipped)
- New Battery Tray Kit
- New License Plate Kit
- Labor of Install of parts- $300
- Body work (almost ready for paint)- $2830
Interior $2600
- Front Seat Frames were sand blasted then painted (I have pictures) $300
- New PUI Front Seat Foam, New PUI Seat Upholstery, New PUI Headrests $500
- New OPGI Seat Backs w/ New Buttons, New OPGI Seat Bases w/ Caps $277
- New Carpet Kit $145
- Newly Painted Kicker Panels
- Labor for install of interior $1,368
(Purchased Car for $6300)
Needs
- Outer fender, inner fender, drivers door will need to be installed BUT they have to come off before you paint the car anyways then re-installed.
- Full Length Exhaust
- New Tires & Wheels
- Center Console
- Clean & Undercoat Floor Pans

Last edited by 214Chevelle; 12-17-2016 at 08:12 AM.
Old 12-17-2016, 08:17 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 214Chevelle
In my opinion, and as a Chevelle owner, I don't think $14k it too bad if the car is what he says it is. Meaning solid floors, trunk, etc. If you have very little to no body work to do and the car is a solid foundation then, it may be ok. As far as the suspension and brakes, maybe the owner didn't get to that aspect of the build yet and that was next on the list. Assuming the motor/tranny combo is legit and as he says then that's half of the asking price right there. Throw in the body work and parts he has listed I'd agree with him, I think $14k is not a bad asking price for a newly rebuilt motor that running good and some body work already done to the car. Just because he hasn't done the suspension and brakes doesn't negate the fact of what has already been done to the car. If it's in you price range, I'd say go for it. But, keep in mind that the car will possible need another $14k to complete.

Analyze his parts list and I'd think $14k is a decent price
it seems to be in decent shape according to pictures he's sent, the major things I would have to do is undercoating, which is only like $250 for me to do it myself (including the trunk) painting, which will probably be around $5,000-$8000 for a nice black with white stripes wouldn't you say? Especially with the body work that's done. I would do suspension (around $2000) and disc brakes (around $1500) the wheels would cost $1500-$2000 for the ridler 695 which I want to run, 18's in the front and 20's in the rear. I'd have to dress up the engine bay and paint the firewall, which I think my friends and I could handle $1000-$2000 probably , and then some exhaust and a couple interior pieces and it's good to go.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:37 AM
Teching In

Putting a big block in and adding SS badges does not make it anywhere near an SS clone. If that is your intention, be prepared to open your wallet and spend more money on the car than what it will ever be worth.

A big negative right off the bat is that the entire front clip is aftermarket. Usually, the high dollar cars are the ones that have most of the original factory sheet metal intact. What about the rest of the metal, is it original or been replaced? If replaced, who did the work and did they do it right? Was the car taken down to bare metal or did they just prime over what was already there? If you are shooting for a $30k+ car, it should have been taken right off the frame and down to bare metal.

Your best bet is to go over to Team Chevelle and talk to guys who really know these cars in and out.
Old 12-18-2016, 05:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Lousy body panel fit up. The driver's door, hood, front end are all horrible. Figure another $1,000 to redo the grille and head light bezels. Factor in $3K-$5K minimum if you want all the chrome, SS, and pot metal trim up to par. Only the full restorations even bother to do that stuff. For a $35K car I'd expect spot and pit free trim looking like new from front to back. Pick up a Year One catalog and start counting up all the dollars needed to refresh all the mechanicals and electrical from front to back. New wiring harnesses alone will run about $1,000+. If there's AC figure on $1500 there. You can easily spend $20,000 more on such a car and still have a #3 car if the right things weren't done from the start. If the owner's goal was a perfect SS clone, they're already way off course. And if they spent $23K already, they might need $50K just to end with a car worth $30K-$35K. Personally, I'd stick to cars that come from the factory with a performance V8. What does the Protecto Plate say on your car....or is that gone?

My advice is to buy a formerly "done" car, even if it's a 10-20 year old very clean restoration. At least that way you get to see what was done right and what still needs work. The car as is looks to be a #3 at best. Will need a much nicer interior, full resto engine bay $3K-$5K in details) and trunk ($2K), and detailed under-carriage to make a #2 condition. Undercoating the bottom of the car isn't detailing. Even on factory undercoated #2 cars they will show fresh factory paint in many out of the way places.

My preference is to buy a car with 3-10 year old paint so I can see how it held up. Fresh paint jobs can be tricky. And then doing your own is full of pitfalls unless you're "in" with a top local shop or know a relative in the business. For another $14K this car will still be only an average #3 condition driver imo.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Chevrol...-/282246985739

Here's a recently sold Ebay 1970 454 SS "clone" though the owner suggests it could be an original SS. Without a build sheet and/or protecto plate there's no way to know. Still for $24K it's a pretty decent looking car. I don't think your car could get to this point with only another $10K added.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Chevrolet-Chevelle-/162213412660?forcerrptr=true&hash=item25c4ac3f34%3Ag%3AVJsAAOSwMgdX1AKh&item=162213412660&nma=true&si=qAMImNf5JRTwZZKX6KS46NcVOjo%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
Real '69 SS in decent #3 condition selling for $25K.

Last edited by Firebrian; 12-18-2016 at 06:13 PM.
Old 12-20-2016, 10:20 AM
12 Second Club

Where are you located Trevor ?

I found some more pics of the El Camino , about 12 cars are currently packed in that room for the winter so better pics will be a project but if there is any interest I will do my best. My boss spent over $30K buying and building the car and that doesn't count a lot of labor done by our techs here at the marina , pulling and installing the engine , assembling all the accessories on the long block , dress up kit ,etc.. , removing and installing trim and interior parts etc.. easily would cost someone 35k to do what has been done.
Attached Thumbnails 1970 chevelle, good buy or not a chance? Help!-el-camino-1.jpg   1970 chevelle, good buy or not a chance? Help!-el-camino-4.jpg   1970 chevelle, good buy or not a chance? Help!-el-camino-5.jpg   1970 chevelle, good buy or not a chance? Help!-el-camino-6.jpg  
Attached Images   

Last edited by murphinator; 12-20-2016 at 10:57 AM.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:41 PM
12 Second Club

I just sold the 69 Camino for my boss today. $22,500 just for point of reference since we just talked about it in this thread.

I think anything that starts with a "2" (5 figures of course) will take the Chevelle at this point if your still looking.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1970 chevelle, good buy or not a chance? Help!