What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

Good deals on a few Birds....

Old 02-02-2017, 07:22 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Good deals on a few Birds....

Every now and then I see a few discussions on here about good deals and just for thought figured I would share some of the recent Trans Ams I have come across that make me wish I had not just bought a GTO. (Note: I spent the better part of a year trying to find an SOM and finally decided that because I can never seem to find one before it sells and generally the GTO makes a better DD that I will hold of on my Trans Am dreams for a few years.)

Anyhow I was quite suprised when I got on and saw a 10th Ann., a CETA, and an SOM w/ Camel Interior (I almost cried as this is my dream car and makes me question if I should call the dealer and ask what it would take to trade) all for under $15K with what I would consider the middle mileage range:

SOM: http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...delCode1=FBIRD

CETA: http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...delCode1=FBIRD

Firehawk: http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...delCode1=FBIRD
Old 02-02-2017, 01:56 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,459 Likes on 1,052 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandits96ss
Anyhow I was quite suprised when I got on and saw a 10th Ann., a CETA, and an SOM w/ Camel Interior (I almost cried as this is my dream car and makes me question if I should call the dealer and ask what it would take to trade) all for under $15K with what I would consider the middle mileage range:

SOM: http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...delCode1=FBIRD

CETA: http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...delCode1=FBIRD

Firehawk: http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...delCode1=FBIRD
The SOM car has some sloppy looking exhaust, and wheels that are in very poor shape. The tint is also a minus. It has the typical sinking rear seat tops and some other visible wear. Probably several more blemishes in person - just an average example for the mileage. The color combo might be rare, but overall I wouldn't consider this a great deal at $15k based I what I can see in the pictures. Considering it's at a dealer though, I guess the asking price isn't too bad. The SOM is nice, but I don't personally like the tan interior with that color at all, just not my taste.

The CETA has a ton of modifications plus too much mileage to have any true "collector" value at this point. What you'd be paying for here is mostly the extensive modifications. Seems like it could be a good deal for someone looking to get into an already built car, as the condition otherwise looks nice for being near 90k miles. The CETA color and graphics tend to be polarizing, I'm in the group that doesn't like the package but I'm sure there are plenty of others who would find this car desirable as it sits.

The 10th anniversary Firehawk has it's share of blemishes as well. Not too bad of a price considering it's a dealer and it's probably the most "special" car of the group based on what it originally was. I can see a handful of cosmetic concerns but nothing jumps out as being horrible. Might be a good deal for someone who wants a really rare model and package, but doesn't want to spend huge money for a super nice/low mile one. For similar money though, I'd rather have something that's less "special" but in nicer condition with lower mileage.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

As I've said in the past, it seems it's always the case that as you soon as you settle for something other than your "dream" car....a few months to a year later up pops the exact car you were looking for, at a great price. It's happened to me numerous times over the years.

The 2001 FH anniv car seems like a pretty decent deal. You just never see them. One of the few anniv cars where they didn't make thousands of them.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:36 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My apologies as I would agree RMP WS6 they are more "driver" quality vehicles. I guess my general thoughts were more surrounding the fact that these are a few combinations that you don't see very often and although yes they are just driver quality they are priced "reasonably" comparitive to the the outrageous prices that you typically see on them. Not stealing them by any part no.

Firebrian that is sort of where I was at as well for both the Camel/SOM and the Firehawk they are just cars that you never see available on the market. Pretty confident you could probably get in the FH out the door at $13K. I don't see any Hawks going for that let alone 10th Anniversary.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

I just looked at all 3. I'm sure not excited about any of them and would rather have a GTO if it was lower mileage and in better condition.
Old 02-03-2017, 03:11 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,459 Likes on 1,052 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandits96ss
My apologies as I would agree RMP WS6 they are more "driver" quality vehicles. I guess my general thoughts were more surrounding the fact that these are a few combinations that you don't see very often and although yes they are just driver quality they are priced "reasonably" comparitive to the the outrageous prices that you typically see on them. Not stealing them by any part no.

Firebrian that is sort of where I was at as well for both the Camel/SOM and the Firehawk they are just cars that you never see available on the market. Pretty confident you could probably get in the FH out the door at $13K. I don't see any Hawks going for that let alone 10th Anniversary.
I definitely don't disagree with any of this, all good points.

To me though, when it comes to a 4th gen I can't see spending $13-15k on just an average driver quality car. I do understand that all of those examples represent rare and/or desirable combos/packages, but for that kind of money you could get a more "common" example that's in better shape with lower miles (especially if you're willing to consider Camaros as well - but I do see that you've mentioned Trans Am as your dream car so your options are more limited there.) Personally, I'd rather pay more towards condition than for original rarity or decal/graphics packages. Of course, if you plan to daily drive the car then it would be a waste to pay a bunch of money for something with super low miles that's been religiously garage stored, but in that case I'd still rather have a more common model that will be significantly cheaper than those above while being in comparable condition.

But, as mentioned above, cars like these would be great for folks who really want something very rare/originally special without paying the huge prices of an example that is such while also being in top tier condition.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Good deals on a few Birds....