What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

Mint 01 Z28 SOM M6/Hurst 1SC (Stripper car) 65k

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 06:38 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mint 01 Z28 SOM M6/Hurst 1SC (Stripper car) 65k

Thinking about selling my Z. A little help with what it's worth would be greatly apreciated. Bought the car from a collector last year because it was the nicest f body I've seen since I bought my 2000 SS back in 2001. Like the title says it's a 2001 Z28 SOM M6/Hurst 1SC with the only factory options being the monsoon and the Hurst 6 speed. I have the original build sheet and window sticker. As far as I know it's 1 of about 14-18 built that year in SOM with these options. The guy I bought it from kept in his warehouse and only put about 3500 miles on it since 2010 and I've put about 1500 on it since last year. I have always kept it in the garage and it is a legit 9.5/10 car inside and out. Here is the specs:

- LS1 5.7l V8
- Built T56 6spd Trans
- Spec Stage 3 Clutch
- Factory Hurst Short Throw Shifter
- LS6 Intake
- Ported/Polished LS1 Heads
- Texas Speed MS4 Cam 239/242 .649"/.600"
- Upgraded Valve Train
- Cold Air Intake
- Long Tube Headers into Complete Dual Exhaust
- Factory 10 Bolt Rear End Housing w/ Auburn Pro Posi, 4.10 Gears and Yukon Axle's
- Weld Race Star 15x4 Fronts and 15x10 Rears Wheels
- 165/80 Front Tires, Mickey Thompson Drag 275/50 Rears. All Great Tread Life!
- Subframe Connectors, Driveshaft Loop and Torque Arm

- Linelock Switch
- Aftermarket GT Steering Wheels w/ Steering Column Shift Light
- Clean Title/Clean CarFax

Mint 01 Z28 SOM M6/Hurst 1SC (Stripper car) 65k-1.jpg

Mint 01 Z28 SOM M6/Hurst 1SC (Stripper car) 65k-2.jpg

Mint 01 Z28 SOM M6/Hurst 1SC (Stripper car) 65k-3.jpg

Mint 01 Z28 SOM M6/Hurst 1SC (Stripper car) 65k-4.jpg

Mint 01 Z28 SOM M6/Hurst 1SC (Stripper car) 65k-5.jpg

Mint 01 Z28 SOM M6/Hurst 1SC (Stripper car) 65k-6.jpg

Mint 01 Z28 SOM M6/Hurst 1SC (Stripper car) 65k-7.jpg

Mint 01 Z28 SOM M6/Hurst 1SC (Stripper car) 65k-8.jpg

Mint 01 Z28 SOM M6/Hurst 1SC (Stripper car) 65k-9.jpg

Mint 01 Z28 SOM M6/Hurst 1SC (Stripper car) 65k-10.jpg
Old 03-13-2017, 12:45 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,059 Posts

This is a nice car for sure, but being completely honest I wouldn't call it a "legitimate 9.5/10 car". I can see a few blemishes inside and out, (including poor headlight fitment and wear on the driver's side carpet as quick standouts.) Also looks like some detailing is needed behind the tires on the lower areas of the rear bumper cover. And pictures certainly don't show everything. As reference, a true 9.5/10 car wouldn't have more than about ~10-15k careful miles since assembly or complete restoration.

Having said that, the engine bay and interior are very nice for the mileage, and the SOM color and M6 trans are very desirable. I personally love the crank window/stripper trim level, though some might not agree.

Those mods will keep the diehard "stock" crowd away, so the rarity numbers probably don't mean a whole lot at this point - other than the obvious desirability of the M6/SOM. Your target buyer will be someone who specifically wants a car modded in this way, and is also in love with the color and options.

Here is something similar that sold recently:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicle-c...6-hardtop.html

Yours is in nicer shape and has less miles, more mods, a less rare but more desirable color, and a more desirable model year. I would definitely value yours higher, but I think this BBM car was a bit overpriced to begin with....wonder what the buyer actually paid? For yours, a sale price somewhere between $8500-10k is probably right depending on location and how quickly you want to get it sold.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:47 PM
Teching In

Default Som z28

I probably should have clarified my 9.5 out of 10 is based solely on the condition of the car excluding miles. The driver's side carpet you were refering to is actually a floor mat so that should be a non issue. Again the bit of dirt underneath the rear fenders is purely cosmetic and yes you are right the headlights could use a little adjusting. You are correct, pictures don't always show everything but at the same time sometimes they don't do a vehicle justice. It would have to be seen in person to appreciate the care this car has seen. The condition and lack of options is actually what drew me to this car. I know it's not every one's cup of tea but I've always been drawn to the factory lighter weight, stripped down muscle cars as well. There is zero rust and the car is Texas as far as location. I appreciate your feedback RPM WS6, thanks for commenting. Hopefully I can get a few more people's opinions as well.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Not familiar with how many 1SC cars were made in this color/M6 combo. Can't be many. Looks extremely clean for 65K miles. It was taken care of. I like the strippo interior and hard top as well. Should be plenty of people looking for a factory stripped, fast running car in SOM/Z28. None of the issues with leaky TTops or slow moving windows, etc. The car has been significantly altered so many 1sc enthusiasts looking for stock examples won't be interested.

If you bought it from a serious and knowledgeable collector a year ago, you should have a very good idea what it's worth. It's only been a year and 1800 miles. If it were mine, I'd take a shot in the $10K-$12K range as even with the mods, this car may be very hard to find out there in the world. Those mods did improve the performance of the car and would be very similar to what any "fast" enthusiast would do themselves. At least they didn't NOx it. The previous owners just saved everyone $5K or more.

You could go out there offering $12K for a similar SOM car....and not finding any one available, anywhere. Seems every want ad in the buy/sell/trade forum wants a 2001-2002 SOM M6 with lower miles...usually a Firebird. But even a Z28 is not chopped liver set up like this. I think your car blows away that BBM 1999 in condition and desirability. If the car were mint stock condition, I think it might carry a 20% premium to a regular old Z28 M6. The mods add a few thousand or more in price imo. I'd bet it would be pretty hard to find a comparable car selling anytime in the past year or two...other than yours. If this were close to me and I wanted a hopped up SOM, M6, 1SC car, I'd have no issue forking over $10K....and even $11K or $12K doesn't sound like a lot of money for this car. It looks as clean as most 20K mile cars. I like it a lot. So I suspect someone else out there would too. Just my 2c.

Last edited by Firebrian; 03-14-2017 at 12:50 AM.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:32 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Firebrian
I like the strippo interior and hard top as well. Should be plenty of people looking for a factory stripped, fast running car in SOM/Z28. None of the issues with leaky TTops or slow moving windows, etc.
Problem with the hard top is the much greater cost (and labor) involved in fixing the roof panel. A knowledgeable buyer will consider that cost, especially if they plan to drive it regularly in the hot southern sun, though not everyone is aware of this problem.

But even a Z28 is not chopped liver set up like this.
Z28s are normally a hard sell once you get much above $10k, especially with mid-mileage like this one. I've seen this several times with local ads on examples that just don't move above that price, even ones that are very nice with popular colors/options. Thing about Z28 trim level is that it mostly appeals to those buyers looking for the cheapest possible way to get into an LS1 car, not so much the "collectors". Once you get into the 5-digit range, you're competing with SS/WS6 cars which are generally more desirable to shoppers of such means.

But I do agree that this car has the SOM going for it, also being an M6/hardtop/stripper - which isn't an easy combo to find, period. Someone who likes that, plus wants a modded car, will surely be interested in this one around that ~$10k mark. If it was unmodified the market would be much bigger since you'd get those stock collector types interested based on the rarity, but at this point the highest paying buyer will need to be someone who wants a modded car and is more, or at least equally, interested in the value of the mods than the original rarity of the car.

However, pricing it too high risks sending potential buyers to more common SS cars (which are generally more desirable than a "rare" Z28 in the world of modded cars at least), so it might take some time to find that "perfect" buyer.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If I was someone who wanted to drive and flail on the car, I wouldn't be much worried about the roof paint. If it blistered, I'd keep attending to it, or just live with it. For a $10K car I don't think I'd want to spend the $1K to $2K to fix it properly. At that point, it's simpler to go after a car that already has been fixed, or a 1998.

My 1999 has that same risk. And I've just become accustomed to never leaving the car out in the sun for more than 30 minutes at a time. I've gotten pretty good about finding shade when I want to park. I also go out later in the day or early evening to avoid the worst of the sun....or better yet, go out on overcast days. On most of my rides the car never stops moving until I get home. Problem "solved" by learning to live with it. Had I known about this 5 yrs ago, I'd have gone with a 1998 or probably a convertible. And while it is a pain to have to constantly "plan" my trips around the heat/sun/shade...I've become pretty used to it. Same with avoiding the rain. 5 yrs on this car and never caught rain yet.

Last edited by Firebrian; 03-14-2017 at 09:14 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 04:31 PM
Teching In

Default Som z28

So what is the deal with the roof panels? I'm not aware of this. If you wouldn't mind schooling me that would be great. I haven't thoroughly gone through this forum yet so a little in the dark on this matter. Is it a major flaw with certain years? Thanks
Old 03-14-2017, 08:10 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

If I was someone who wanted to drive and flail on the car, I wouldn't be much worried about the roof paint. If it blistered, I'd keep attending to it, or just live with it. For a $10K car I don't think I'd want to spend the $1K to $2K to fix it properly. At that point, it's simpler to go after a car that already has been fixed, or a 1998.
I agree about preferring to go with a '98 or a fixed car since half the battle is getting the new roof lined up properly during installation, so you don't know how the job will come out unless it's already done or it's a car that doesn't need it in the first place.

But I wasn't happy just attending to it or living with it - especially for a frequent summer driver that's out in sun full time (unless of course it's just a junk beater where cosmetics are meaningless, but if I'm spending ~$10k on a 16 year old car, it's not for the purpose of disposable transportation.) Once it starts, there isn't anything you can do to "attend" (touch up painting won't stop it, full sanding and repaint only lasts a few months and isn't cost effective over the long term unless you're doing the work yourself), and living with it becomes a big pain when it progresses to the point of oozing; it runs down the back window as you drive, and runs down onto the quarter panel paint (from the sides) when sitting if allowed to to get bad enough. I saw all of this happen with my '02. It can get much worse than just some raised dimples if you expose the car constantly to sun and don't fix it properly (of course much worse on the black roof cars.) I wasn't able to tolerate this on my '02, which was a summer daily driver at the time, so I had it replaced.

My 1999 has that same risk. And I've just become accustomed to never leaving the car out in the sun for more than 30 minutes at a time. I've gotten pretty good about finding shade when I want to park. I also go out later in the day or early evening to avoid the worst of the sun....or better yet, go out on overcast days. On most of my rides the car never stops moving until I get home. Problem "solved" by learning to live with it. Had I known about this 5 yrs ago, I'd have gone with a 1998 or probably a convertible. And while it is a pain to have to constantly "plan" my trips around the heat/sun/shade...I've become pretty used to it. Same with avoiding the rain.
This is a hassle, but manageable for a show car/weekend toy. Not so much if someone wants it for daily transportation and/or has to store it outside without shade. Can't really dictate these sorts of conditions if the plan is to use it as a frequent or daily summer driver. Living in the south makes it worse (more heat, more intense sun.)

5 yrs on this car and never caught yet.
Off topic, but so far my record is 18 years and counting without having a garage queen caught in the rain. This is easy when you only drive them <1000 miles per year.

Originally Posted by Dobsnek
So what is the deal with the roof panels? I'm not aware of this. If you wouldn't mind schooling me that would be great. I haven't thoroughly gone through this forum yet so a little in the dark on this matter. Is it a major flaw with certain years? Thanks
This is a problem that affects all t-top AND hard top '99-'02 F-bodies, and also some very late '98 cars built in and after 05/98. Unfortunately, it's a pretty major repair to fix it correctly, and it's considerably more expensive for a hard top car due to the size of the hard top panel and associated labor to replace it. The only proper fix is total roof panel replacement.

Here is a link with comprehensive details of the issue, and repair options:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/paint-bod...e-dummies.html

Of course, cars with black roof paint are affected the worst (due to heat absorption), which includes every non-convertible LS1 Camaro (sans the 35th LE and B4C cars.)
Old 03-14-2017, 09:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm surprised someone hasn't come up with a cover/pad for the sail panel to be used at shows, parked, etc. If I were intent on sitting out in the sun for 4-5 hours, I'd have one made up. In fact, the first time I went to a show in my car the roof panel starting showing 2 wavy paint strips after about 3 hours in the sun. I took my soft dash pad cover and put it right over the sail panel with one part crimped by the window glass. It would not be hard to make one up that fit better and was long enough to tie into the windows or ttop panels, hatch back lid. If I were commuting, I would certainly at least do that. Would take about 1-2 minutes to put it into place. If mine ever does start to bubble, I will start putting a lot more miles on it.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

I'm surprised someone hasn't come up with a cover/pad for the sail panel to be used at shows, parked, etc. If I were intent on sitting out in the sun for 4-5 hours, I'd have one made up. In fact, the first time I went to a show in my car the roof panel starting showing 2 wavy paint strips after about 3 hours in the sun. I took my soft dash pad cover and put it right over the sail panel with one part crimped by the window glass.
This might work at your next show What sail panel??
Attachment 570658

Last edited by NC01TA; 08-29-2022 at 07:46 AM.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well that fit right in with the theme of a Z28 "stripper" car. Though not likely good cover for an entire hardtop.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:12 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
This is a nice car for sure, but being completely honest I wouldn't call it a "legitimate 9.5/10 car". I can see a few blemishes inside and out, (including poor headlight fitment and wear on the driver's side carpet as quick standouts.) Also looks like some detailing is needed behind the tires on the lower areas of the rear bumper cover. And pictures certainly don't show everything. As reference, a true 9.5/10 car wouldn't have more than about ~10-15k careful miles since assembly or complete restoration.

Having said that, the engine bay and interior are very nice for the mileage, and the SOM color and M6 trans are very desirable. I personally love the crank window/stripper trim level, though some might not agree.

Those mods will keep the diehard "stock" crowd away, so the rarity numbers probably don't mean a whole lot at this point - other than the obvious desirability of the M6/SOM. Your target buyer will be someone who specifically wants a car modded in this way, and is also in love with the color and options.

Here is something similar that sold recently:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicle-c...6-hardtop.html

Yours is in nicer shape and has less miles, more mods, a less rare but more desirable color, and a more desirable model year. I would definitely value yours higher, but I think this BBM car was a bit overpriced to begin with....wonder what the buyer actually paid? For yours, a sale price somewhere between $8500-10k is probably right depending on location and how quickly you want to get it sold.
Buyer paid $8,800 in full . But I have been looking for this car for YEARS and as a collector (this is my 7th Camaro that I currently own), I didn't mind paying a little extra. I don't think the OP will have a hard time selling his SOM Z28 at all. Your pricing is pretty spot on with the $8500-10,000. Eventually I will be looking for a SOM Z28 or SS and for that price range, I'd bite on a similar deal. It just depends whether or not the OP is willing to sit on it for a while. Good luck with the potential sale!
Old 03-22-2017, 08:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

OP, you're not out of Joplin, MO are you?
Old 03-22-2017, 02:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Here is a SOM WS6 for sale on here for reference:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicle-c...49k-miles.html
Old 03-22-2017, 04:16 PM
Teching In

Default Som z28

Rise of the Phoenix, I'm not from Joplin, Mo. but I think that's the town I bought it from last year. Why do you ask?
Old 03-22-2017, 04:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Rise of the Phoenix, I'm not from Joplin, Mo. but I think that's the town I bought it from last year. Why do you ask?
https://midwestmotorcompany.com/vehi...camaro-z28-1sc

Because isn't this your car? I've been checking out their website quite often for new inventory.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:42 PM
Teching In

Default 02 som ws6

Damn, I hope that guy gets his asking price or close to it for his 02 SOM WS6
Old 03-22-2017, 04:44 PM
Teching In

Default Z28

Yes, that's my car. It is showing sold on his website so I guess he hasn't updated it.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yes, that's my car. It is showing sold on his website so I guess he hasn't updated it.
So you bought it from there, right? How were they? They get some nice vehicles.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:06 PM
Teching In

Default Rise

Yes, I did buy it from there. I delt with Cam, I think he's the owner. He was pretty good to deal with. Car was as he described it. I flew in and he picked me up from the airport. Did the paperwork and drove the car back to Texas the next morning without a hicup. That's actually where most of the miles I put on it came from was the drive back. I would definitely do business with him again without a doubt.

Quick Reply: Mint 01 Z28 SOM M6/Hurst 1SC (Stripper car) 65k