What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

Guy wants to trade his 05 Vette for my 04 C5Z, is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 11:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Guy wants to trade his 05 Vette for my 04 C5Z, is it worth it?

OK...So, I met this guy the other day when I was cruising around town in my Z. I have a 2004 Torch Red Z06 (Second Owner) which I recently purchased about 8 months ago. It has the Black/Torch Red Leather seats, Memory Package and Body Color Side Molding. She just hit 70,000 Miles and runs like a champ. Completely Stock and is flawless. No paint chips/scratches (Has front clear bra) and only wear anywhere on the car is the drivers seat leather which is very very minimal.

He has a well optioned 2005 Magnetic Red Metallic LS2/6-Speed Coupe and is the original owner with clear title. It has Black Leather Interior, Preferred Equipment Group 1SB, Roof Package (Body Color and Glass Roof Sections), Z51 Handling Package, OEM Polished Wheels, and Factory NAV with 7-Speaker Bose and XM. It has just a tad under 50,000 Miles. His car is also 99% stock other than a Vararam Intake kit. Condition is flawless and the same condition as mine. The only thing with his is it will need tires soon, I assume they are original, but tread is getting thin.

Now according to KBB his car is valued at $20,000 and mine is valued at $19,000. Now I do not know how accurate those values are. He wants to trade and will add $2,500 on top of the trade. I found it rather odd but he really wants a C5Z in Torch Red.

Do you guys think it is a fair deal to trade. My biggest concern is that the 2005's were all base models, and mine is the last year C5Z. You just don't see to many C5Z's running around compared to the C6's. I am wondering if the C5Z will hold its value better in the long run as well. I told him No on the spot but did get his info in case I decided to change my mind. did some research and the C5Z seems to be a better performing car overall. I don't know, what are your guys thoughts on this?

Last edited by 07NBSChevy; 03-16-2017 at 11:33 PM.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 439 Likes on 317 Posts

At 'face' value it seems like a good trade but I'm sure there is something hidden somewhere besides just needing tires. I personally don't like the idea of trades unless I know the car and owner real well. Do you really want his car?? Caveat emptor.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Both of you will have to pay state sales tax, registration, etc. all over again. And since neither of you will likely believe the other guy was entirely truthful, you'll have to change some of the fluids again.

Figure the extra 20K miles is a $1500-$2000 deduction. M6 vs. A4 another $1500 difference imo. What's a Z06 premium over a regular model? Figure another $650-$1200 for new tires. Either way you are 2nd owner of a Vette. Pretty odd that an original owner wants to bail out of a 49K mile car for a 70K mile one. Are they looking for an M6? If both are M6's then not an issue. You've only had your car 8 months and know most of its quirks by now....no doubt fully up to date on maintenance.

I'm with NC01TA on this one. What issues is the owner hiding? It could also be that after 12 years of ownership, they want something new...or that every little "nit pick" on their car bothers the heck out of them and seems like a "mountain" rather than a mole hill.

Last edited by Firebrian; 03-20-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No sales Tax for Private Party sales in Nevada. Just registration, Title Transfer fee($29) and smog again($15). Also, both vehicles are manual 6-Speeds.

In all honestly I would trade my C5Z in a heartbeat for a Pristine, Sub 80k Mile, 1995 ZR-1, but that's another story. I am assuming it is something he has wanted for awhile.

I would like to assume that his car has no issues, especially for having only 50k miles. I do agree with both of you, who knows what issues could be going on with his. I am pretty set on keeping my Z. I do like the 05, but at the end of the day, it is just a base Vette. I also think the Z will hold it value longer, as long as it is kept up and I don't rack up to many miles.

Quick Reply: Guy wants to trade his 05 Vette for my 04 C5Z, is it worth it?