Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Remove a wheel hub?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 09:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Remove a wheel hub?

Hey guys, I think I need to remove a wheel hub to get at a few broken wheel studs on my front passenger side.

No amount of hammering, heating, and cursing is making these wheel studs even budge.

I completely removed the caliper/rotor, and is just left to the wheel hub and the offending wheel studs.

Honestly, I hammered the **** out of the things, and I am by no means a girly man, so they definitely don't want to move. Had another few people give it a shot and nothing happened. Heating also failed with a torch on it for a good minute or so as well.... no budging.

Out of the three, we drilled through one (I'm questioning the wisdom of doing that) and still wouldn't collapse on itself. I did a lot of searching and didn't find much aside from "Hammer it out" or "Heat it and hammer it"

Should I/How do I remove the wheel hub and continue my efforts or bring it to a shop?
Old 11-05-2008, 09:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Putting that much heat on the bearing might have cooked it, but it might still be ok. I havn't ever messed with mine, but I believe they bolt on to the spindle from the back side. If you have it down that far, and have beat on them that much without them coming out, then you might want to go ahead and change the hub bearing on that side.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:49 PM
12 Second Club

if you talking about the front wheel hub then the easyest and best way it to rent a axle puller to pull it out and make shure you took the bolts out lol for the front there are 4 bolts that hold the front hubs on and mine where rusted in there.
i did the same think you did and tryed to beat it off but no luck.
it took less that a min to get it off with the puller.
i just put the 3 prong thing on the front hub and used my lug nuts to hold it on the screwed the puller in and after a few good pulls it came out.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bringing this back from the dead 5 years later. I'm trying to pull the hubs off some spindles for mediablasting/powdercoating and after taking the bolts out, the hub is seized to the spindle.

I've used mallets, hammers, soaked in PB blaster/wd40, hit it against the concrete (they're off the car btw, lol)...not a budge.

Has anybody found a good solution to this?
Old 08-08-2013, 01:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Probably fire.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Bigger hammer.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Both of these ideas have crossed my mind. Lol. Just need to gorilla-paw it a little harder I guess.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:20 AM
TECH Junkie

To get them off, I ended up having a buddy take them to work (dealership) and having a go at them with an air hammer for anybody whos having this problem in the future lol. That did the trick.
Old 03-31-2021, 05:41 AM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Use a sliding hammer.

The hub is essentially pressed in over time to a perfect circle in the spindle for alignment, the only way it will come out is straight out. Hammering the sides or using a chisel from the sides may mar the circle behind the hub that the new hub would use to center your wheel to. Hitting the suspension components randomly can damage other parts including the rack, ball joints and tie rods. Taps are ok, but you cannot tap this loose from the side, it need to be tapped straight outward.

Sliding hammer, has many uses like pulling out wheel hubs, bearings and dents.

Quick Reply: Remove a wheel hub?