Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

HELP:ZR1 on Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 05:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP:ZR1 on Camaro

Hey guys..

I just got a set of rims and tires zr1 17 9/11 from ebay..

they said that they are mounted and balanced.. would they fit my 2000 camaro or do i need to do some mods for them?
Old 01-09-2009, 05:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by kov911
Hey guys..

I just got a set of rims and tires zr1 17 9/11 from ebay..

they said that they are mounted and balanced.. would they fit my 2000 camaro or do i need to do some mods for them?
Yes they should fit perfectly...
Old 01-09-2009, 05:29 PM
Teching In

thank you...

i will put them tomorrow and see
Old 01-10-2009, 08:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just be aware every car is a little diff and you may need to pound you inner wheel well in a little or run a small spacer ....
Old 01-10-2009, 10:51 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Typically you will need an adjustable panhard bar to center the rear. Then possibly you will need to grind down the bump stop and dent in the inner wheelhouse in front of the bump stop.

Firebirds generally have more room than the Camaros.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:37 PM
Teching In

hey guys yesterday i tried to put them on and i started with the rear (because i know they're big problem) so i saw that the bump stop gonna rub with the tire (actually it will rip it apart) .....

i want to make them fit the easiest way and cheapest .... for the panhard bar i think i need to wait to buy it ...

if i wanna run a spacer what is the smallest size and will do the job or if i wanna grind the bump stop how much i will do?
Attached Thumbnails HELP:ZR1 on Camaro-dsc07577.jpg  
Old 01-11-2009, 05:40 PM
Banned

I just cut the bump stop off and then rolled the finder lip and every thing is good now
Old 01-11-2009, 06:01 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by kov911
hey guys yesterday i tried to put them on and i started with the rear (because i know they're big problem) so i saw that the bump stop gonna rub with the tire (actually it will rip it apart) .....

i want to make them fit the easiest way and cheapest .... for the panhard bar i think i need to wait to buy it ...

if i wanna run a spacer what is the smallest size and will do the job or if i wanna grind the bump stop how much i will do?
I am not positive but I think I ground about a 1/4" off of the back side of it. You are just going to have to start grinding and check it every so often.

I would get the panhard NOW.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I bought my ss with 315's on the back and my car's been lowered so it's not unusual for my tires to rub. However, I would never consider "rolling" my fenders in, not my baby. I've considered getting a set of the 1" spacers but I have no idea how to install them, i guess I just need to check into it a little more.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Martin HD-28
I bought my ss with 315's on the back and my car's been lowered so it's not unusual for my tires to rub. However, I would never consider "rolling" my fenders in, not my baby. I've considered getting a set of the 1" spacers but I have no idea how to install them, i guess I just need to check into it a little more.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNZhLb_wWhk
Old 01-12-2009, 06:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Wow! This thread is chock full of bad information.

Don't cut off your bumpstops. Don't grind down your bumpstops. Yes, your car needs them. In your case, your car needs replacements. Get the Z28 bumpstops, not the SS/WS6 style. They're more tapered.

When you run 11" rear wheels, you pretty much have to learn to jack the rear up by the differential, not from the side. This will keep the bumpstops from interfering when you're mounting/dismounting the wheels.

Get an adjustable panhard bar to make sure the rearend is centered. That part was good advice.

Unless you're doing some Dukes of Hazard-style jumps, or your rearend is off-center, your bumpstops won't be a problem.

After you mount them, go for a short drive. Make sure you have both left and right turns on the drive. If they rub the inner fender wells, get out the hammer. I used a 3lb drilling hammer, because it has a large, flat face. You will see the spots where they rubbed. Hit there.

If the outer sidewalls have any marks or cuts in them, you'll need to roll your fender lips. Rent a heat gun and fender roller (search this section, there are a couple people who have them for rent) and take a little at a time. You don't have to roll the lips flat, just angle them up and "curl" the leading edge, to present a rounded surface to the sidewall, rather than an edge.

-Mike

Last edited by chupr0kabra; 01-12-2009 at 09:52 AM.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:52 AM
Teching In

so now what i need is just to jack up the car from the rear and they will fit and wont rub with the bumpstops?
Old 01-12-2009, 12:03 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
Wow! This thread is chock full of bad information.

Don't cut off your bumpstops. Don't grind down your bumpstops. Yes, your car needs them. In your case, your car needs replacements. Get the Z28 bumpstops, not the SS/WS6 style. They're more tapered.

When you run 11" rear wheels, you pretty much have to learn to jack the rear up by the differential, not from the side. This will keep the bumpstops from interfering when you're mounting/dismounting the wheels.

Get an adjustable panhard bar to make sure the rearend is centered. That part was good advice.

Unless you're doing some Dukes of Hazard-style jumps, or your rearend is off-center, your bumpstops won't be a problem.

After you mount them, go for a short drive. Make sure you have both left and right turns on the drive. If they rub the inner fender wells, get out the hammer. I used a 3lb drilling hammer, because it has a large, flat face. You will see the spots where they rubbed. Hit there.

If the outer sidewalls have any marks or cuts in them, you'll need to roll your fender lips. Rent a heat gun and fender roller (search this section, there are a couple people who have them for rent) and take a little at a time. You don't have to roll the lips flat, just angle them up and "curl" the leading edge, to present a rounded surface to the sidewall, rather than an edge.

-Mike
Bad info??
It doesn't matter if you are jumping bridges or not, your wheels or tires should never, EVER come in contact with an part of the chassis!!
What do you think happens when you take a turn? Hmm, one wheel will be higher than the other!! So therefor you need to cut down the sides of the bump stop!

Remember that the rear suspension will have a small amount of play so do not do the bare minimum when clearancing!
Old 01-12-2009, 03:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 9t8z28
Bad info??
It doesn't matter if you are jumping bridges or not, your wheels or tires should never, EVER come in contact with an part of the chassis!!
What do you think happens when you take a turn? Hmm, one wheel will be higher than the other!! So therefor you need to cut down the sides of the bump stop!

Remember that the rear suspension will have a small amount of play so do not do the bare minimum when clearancing!
Bump stop is not the same as fender well. The tires rub the fender wells. Not the bump stops.

-Mike
Old 01-12-2009, 03:20 PM
11 Second Club

Bump stop is not the same as fender well. The tires rub the fender wells. Not the bump stops.

-Mike
The tire rubs the inner wheelwell and the wheel hits on the bumpstop. I should know since I have the same exact setup on my car now
Old 01-12-2009, 03:26 PM
TECH Junkie

The tire rubs the inner wheelwell and the wheel hits on the bumpstop. I should know since I have the same exact setup on my car now
I ran 17x11 ZR1s too. If you let the wheels hang by the bump stop mounts, they will catch. Under normal driving circumstances (even under cornering, when the axle is skewed), the chances of there being that much extension in the suspension are pretty slim. If you're talking about autocrossing and such, that's another matter, but in the year+ I ran 17x11's, the only time my bump stops ever came into contact with my wheels was when I jacked the car up from the side or forgot to take the wheels off before raising the rearend that far.

Do what you will. It's the internet. Everyone has their advice.

-Mike
Old 01-12-2009, 03:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You are incorrect sir. The only time the wheel/tire hits the bumpstop is when the rear end is hanging free and the car is lifted on the subframes. When the car is on the ground you won't have any problems. I'm curious did you actually rub on them while driving or on stands?

The only way I could see one rubbing on the bumpstops is on the stock springs at stock hieght. Just look at where it sits when the car is on the ground, it sits underneith the upper lip of the wheel, out of the way.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Typically you will need an adjustable panhard bar to center the rear. Then possibly you will need to grind down the bump stop and dent in the inner wheelhouse in front of the bump stop.

Firebirds generally have more room than the Camaros.
Usually only lowered cars need adjustable panhard bars. Because once you lower your car, you use the adjustable panhard bar to "recenter it".

Originally Posted by MadMike96
I just cut the bump stop off and then rolled the finder lip and every thing is good now
You DO NOT need to cut the bump stop at all. Jack the car up from the rear differential and the bump stops will not be an issue.

I would get the panhard NOW.
Why?

Originally Posted by Martin HD-28
1 Inch spacers would only PUSH the wheels out further meaning... your fender would be more likely hit the fender then before. The spacer is only used to stop the INSIDE of the wheel from rubbing.

Damn it, I was scrolling down and answering every wront post, but you beat me to it
Old 01-12-2009, 03:58 PM
TECH Junkie

I ran 17x11 ZR1s too. If you let the wheels hang by the bump stop mounts, they will catch. Under normal driving circumstances (even under cornering, when the axle is skewed), the chances of there being that much extension in the suspension are pretty slim. If you're talking about autocrossing and such, that's another matter, but in the year+ I ran 17x11's, the only time my bump stops ever came into contact with my wheels was when I jacked the car up from the side or forgot to take the wheels off before raising the rearend that far.

Do what you will. It's the internet. Everyone has their advice.

-Mike
I agree with you. I have been running different 17x11 wheels for yrs and have never had any issues with my wheels hitting my bump stops. I grinded off my bump stops on a camaro yrs ago, but I havent done it since, and wont.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Also, if you need to do the BFH mod(which is when you hammer the areas in the wheel well that the tire is hitting). Make sure that your back seats are up. I have heard of issues with the backseats when left down while doing the BFH.