Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Help w/ wheels/caliper issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 08:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help w/ wheels/caliper issues

Ok... So I bought the Weld Pro Stars, 15x10 with 7.5" backspacing (per threads on here) and I also bought 15x4 with 1-7/8" backspacing. I've had two peope go to grind the calipers and they both say the front won't work. They also said by looking at it, the read won't work w/ that backspacing(because of the bumpstop, which i think you could just remove) . I know a lot of people run the 15x3.5 which has a little less backspacing and run a spacer, but I read some people do run the 15x4s w/o issues. I just want to make sure I have the correct wheels or if I need to send them back (i have not mounted a tire on any rim yet)

Are the people I have doing the grinding just not brave enough to grind as much as it needed or what? This sucks
Old 02-19-2009, 04:40 AM
Launching!

Could use some help
Old 02-19-2009, 06:13 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure about the Weld's but I can tell you this. I have my 3rd gen camaro setup for 4th gen spec wheels. I am currently running 17x9.5 ZR1 fronts with 275/40/17 and 17x11 ZR1's in the rear with a 315/35/17. Bumpstop modifcation is required. However, you can't check it with the wheels hanging. If the car is on a lift, the inner part of the lip of the rim will hit against the bumpstop metal. However, once the suspension is compressed, the wheel will also move upwards in the wheelwell, and the bumpstop will be in the open section of the rim, and the only way it would ever hit is if you got the car airborn so the wheel travelled to its ful extent. You can see how this works by using a floor jack under the pumpkin. You have to use the floor jack to get the *** end of the car off the ground, take the rear wheels off, then use a lift to raise the car all the way off the ground.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:25 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once you think you ground too much keep grinding & they will fit. You might not feel to great about the thickness of your calipers after but they will fit with enough grinding. Or you can grind less & run a spacer.

Personally I didn't want to dick with grinding on my brakes & didn't have the coin for Bogarts so I opted for Centerline Convo Pros which fit without grinding if you run the 15x8 rears.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I put my 15x8 prostars on yesterday, and my 15x4 as well. I have 5/16th inch spacers all around and I had to grind a lot on the rears and a very minimal amount on the front. I need to roll my fenders tonight, the rubbage is owning me. Hope that helps. I probably took off 1/2 inch off the back calipers. It was way more than I thought I was gonna need to. Took 6 hours of grinding.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:15 PM
On The Tree

The Weld R/T Series comes in 6 new designs. The 15x10 w/7.5" backspace goes on the rear with little or no grinding, matching 15x4" fronts require little or no grinding.