Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

How exactly do I roll my fenders?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 10:03 AM
DTR
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How exactly do I roll my fenders?!

Apparently I didnt do enough research and learned the hard way that i need to roll my fenders... I've searched up and down tech and couldn't find exactly what i need to do. I understand I need a baseball bat or a MagLite or something... but, as i'm sure you all can relate, i don't want to **** it up or make it to where paint flakes off, etc. Thanks guys!

D
Old 02-20-2009, 11:03 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is how mine were done (not by me, by a guy that is a member here that has done about a half a dozen of these cars).

I don't promote doing this and won't be held responsible if you put a hole in your quarter panel

You'll need a razor blade, small sledge/hammer, some newspaper, and some flat black paint.

Jack the rearend of the car up, pull off both rear wheels. Make sure you don't have any kind of body filler along the lip of the rear quarters prior to doing anything else. (My first LS1 car had some, and I had NO IDEA it had been in any kinda accident! Had I tried to roll the lip I wouldve been in for a rude awakening!) Use the razor blade and make a cut in the paint just to the outside edge of center of the material that folds under the quarter (that isnt seen). This cut will help the paint not to crack toward the outside of the quarter toward the visible area when you start hitting it. Get kinda up under the car in the wheel well as much as possible and start hitting it with the hammer. This takes some technique. You don't want to do one area at once, you wanna kinda spread it out as you try and work it to a bend. As it bends, check the line in the paint you cut with the razor and make sure the paint isnt cracking out toward the outside of the car. If it is, make another cut or 2 in the paint to make sure it isnt. Just keep working at it til you get the shape you want. Once its more of a U shape, check the paint again, and hit it til its flat like a really tight U shape. Once you're happy with it, tape off the quarter panel and use the flat black paint to 'seal up' the paint where you cut the paint so it doesn't rust. Might make sure that you get the flaked paint off, either by sanding it smooth with some 200ish grit paper or using rubbing alcohol to make sure its clean. Spray it with the paint, remove the paper, and you should be good to go.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Or you could just get a heat gun and fender rolling tool from a guy on here that rents it for like $50...
Depends on what you're trying to do here... I just needed to cut the inner lip of my fenders out a little bit to get the clearance I needed...
Old 02-20-2009, 02:02 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Rent a roller. Much easier and safer.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by MadIceV8
Rent a roller. Much easier and safer.
Agreed. I split the cost of the rental with another user and we did both our cars in an evening. With a roller and heat gun, it was very easy and consistent.

-Mike
Old 02-20-2009, 03:49 PM
DTR
Teching In

Damnit... the problem is I deploy tomorrow... Why didnt they just come rolled!?
Old 02-20-2009, 04:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You can use a heat gun and a rubber mallet to achieve the same things as the roller tool.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DTR
Damnit... the problem is I deploy tomorrow... Why didnt they just come rolled!?
It would take longer to make the quarter panel with an already rolled lip. Plus it actually helps keep the outside skin strait around the wheel opening.