Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Rims jacked!

Old 03-06-2009, 04:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rims jacked!

First of all hello to all. First time on this forum. Anyway I've had ttII polished aluminum wheels on my ride and after storing It all winter took it out today and washed the car. Noticed my rims have little specs or spots in them that wont go away. What is this and how to I clean that crap off if posssible???????
Old 03-06-2009, 04:51 PM
TECH Regular

Water spots. I have polished ZR1's and deal with the same problem. This is why chrome is worth the extra money in my opinion. Get some Mother's Aluminum polished and get ready to spend an afternoon. They will look great afterwards but return to that state far too quickly in my book.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know it sounds crazy but try some BON AMI on them. I use it on my rims when I cant get the spots off. Recently polished my calipers and bon ami takes the water marks right off.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:13 PM
Launching!

I thought this thread was going to be about how someone stole the rims off your car. Glad to hear its just some silly water spots, ha.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:13 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If its just the "rim" thats dirty, it shouldn't take to long, but if the actual "wheel" is messed up, its gonna take some time and effort with some mothers polish.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:26 PM
TECH Addict

mothers powerball and LOTS of elbow grease will get those spots out. Polished wheels SUCK to keep up with, but they look so much better than chrome if you keep up with them.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also thought he was going to say he washed his car and went inside the house and his rims got stolen hahah
Old 03-06-2009, 10:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Bones87
I thought this thread was going to be about how someone stole the rims off your car. Glad to hear its just some silly water spots, ha.
me too.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:32 PM
Banned

Me 3.

I know my local hand car wash Charges me 5.00 a wheel to polish them when i get a hand wash. I make sure to have them or me use no cleaners on them, i tell them to wash them last and rinse them first, And dry them first. they have the hang of it now and no Issues with them.( Also when applying tire shine USE A GEL. wipe it on, Once you start spraying stuff around they don't like it.) i DD on polished wheels and get them polished about every 5-6 weeks. Sometimes longer, All depends on the weather.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:15 AM
TECH Regular

+1 I learned quickly to use a gel instead of spray tire shine. Overspray tire shine is a b to clean off of rims, and I ruined the clearcoat on my painted snowflakes that way. As for the powerball-I honestly don't have anything good to say about it. I would use it for chrome, but polished rims take more pressure than the powerball can muster. Use some elbow grease and you will get a great shine. I also DD (well did until I started building my motor) and could last about a month in between having to take each rim off and fully polish (I like to get the inside as well as the face). Brake dust is worser than water spots from my experience. It can cake on too easy and when trying to get it off smears. Remember to take your time and don't get frustrated. Rub until it's black!
Old 03-07-2009, 12:29 AM
Banned

Also the Cloth you use can cause some harm.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:45 AM
TECH Regular

I usually buy the 10 packs of terry cloth. They become very grungy and disintegrated by the time I'm done with them. Are there better alternatives? You need something somewhat abrasive, but you would be rubbing forever if you went with something too soft.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:52 AM
Launching!

polished wheels suck a$$, mine look the same right now thats why i just bought new chrome wheels. i've been polishing my Z06's for a few years now and learned that the mothers powerball is the best alternative with a good polish, to keep the powerball from getting jammed in the wheel i just trimmed it to fit into each spoke. good luck
Old 03-07-2009, 09:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Born/Raised North East, MD Lived in VA, NC, MI Back in Yorktown, Va
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey guys i dont have pics anymore but when i go home i took some cardboard and cut out a piece big enough to cover my rim so i could spray shine my wheels cause i hate the gel i use Meguiars Hot Shine and i always put the carboard over my wheels and nooooooo problems

Search this Thread