Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

15x10 7"BS and 15x4 1-3/4" BS

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 08:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 15x10 7"BS and 15x4 1-3/4" BS

I am wondering if anyone has pics of these size wheels on a 4th gen Camaro. The wheels I'm wanting they only make in these sizes.

15x10 7" backspacing
15x4 1-3/4" backspacing
Old 03-10-2009, 09:39 PM
Teching In

anybody?
Old 03-10-2009, 09:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what wheels are u interested in?
Old 03-11-2009, 07:47 AM
Teching In

Magnum 786 2.0
Old 03-11-2009, 08:30 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The backspace is fine for both fronts and rears. Anything greater than equal or greater than 1.75 for the front is fine, anything equal or greater than 7" will work.

Regarding caliper clearance, I can't help you on that one. They more than likely won't fit the rears if you're running stock brakes. The fronts will require a spacer or grinding. Drag brakes, you're fine. If you need drag brakes, I can set your car up appropriately.

The wheels you're considering are very good high-end superlight wheels. Great choice. If you're not aware of our Bogart line of wheels, I can build you a P2 setup that would be slightly lighter and less expensive. You would need the same modifications on the car as for the wheels you're considering now. I can also build you direct fit LS1 P1 wheels which will be a direct fit to stock LS1 calipers.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance. Please give me a call or directly e-mail me.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:37 PM
Teching In

I have a friend that has some 15x10 with 7"BS and I'm going to test fit those and see how they looks and fit, If all is good I will order them tomorrow. Weld Racing said they have to make them a special order and it will take at least 3 weeks to make.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

I cannot see those fronts being the best option...

Here is my car before the mini-tub and new wheels when it had 15x10's out back with 7 1/2" backspace and 15x4's with 2 7/8" backspace up front:

The previous owner ran 15x3.5 with 1.75" backspace Welds before putting on these wheels and he felt they never sat right in the wheel well (stuck out too far), which led to the purchase of the Holeshots.

We have also ran 15x3.5 M/T's up front with 2.25" backspace, which fit the same as the ones in the picture.

Last edited by BadBoo79; 03-11-2009 at 06:22 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:07 PM
Teching In

15x10 with a 7" BS look like shat. Thanks for the help everybody.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:13 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by BadBoo79
I cannot see those fronts being the best option...

Here is my car before the mini-tub and new wheels when it had 15x10's out back with 7 1/2" backspace and 15x4's with 2 7/8" backspace up front:

The previous owner ran 15x3.5 with 1.75" backspace Welds before putting on these wheels and he felt they never sat right in the wheel well (stuck out too far), which led to the purchase of the Holeshots.

We have also ran 15x3.5 M/T's up front with 2.25" backspace, which fit the same as the ones in the picture.
Very good looking setup you have there. Those front backspace suggestions will not clear a stock brake configuration. Just to clarify for others reading so they may not get the wrong idea, it's impossible to run front backspace setting that large from a flat faced wheel. Using drag brakes, you've got far greater options. I'm sure you're running drag brakes...or you were mistaken the backspace regarding the numbers that were told to you.

1.75" is the smallest I'd go, the other concern aside from tucking the wheel in, when backspace is large, you run the appearance of very little dishing which also looks odd. Most of our F-body setups as shown in our gallery use a minimum of 1.75" backspace for a front runner. As mentioned, I do not like going smaller unless it's absolutely necessary from the wheel design.

Keep in mind, there's other manufactures actually running even LESS than 1.75" which I definitely feel is too small. We have street strip wheels as well as other manufactures billet street strip wheels which are set at a max of 1.625" which is getting on the short side...I really don't like the way it looks. New welds recently posted are only 1.5" which is way to small for my taste (I'm sure you probably feel the same)

Last edited by SJM Manufacturing Inc; 03-12-2009 at 12:20 AM.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc
Very good looking setup you have there. Those front backspace suggestions will not clear a stock brake configuration. Just to clarify for others reading so they may not get the wrong idea, it's impossible to run front backspace setting that large from a flat faced wheel. Using drag brakes, you've got far greater options. I'm sure you're running drag brakes...or you were mistaken the backspace regarding the numbers that were told to you.

1.75" is the smallest I'd go, the other concern aside from tucking the wheel in, when backspace is large, you run the appearance of very little dishing which also looks odd. Most of our F-body setups as shown in our gallery use a minimum of 1.75" backspace for a front runner. As mentioned, I do not like going smaller unless it's absolutely necessary from the wheel design.

Keep in mind, there's other manufactures actually running even LESS than 1.75" which I definitely feel is too small. We have street strip wheels as well as other manufactures billet street strip wheels which are set at a max of 1.625" which is getting on the short side...I really don't like the way it looks. New welds recently posted are only 1.5" which is way to small for my taste (I'm sure you probably feel the same)
Yes, I run drag race brakes. Why else would someone be looking at front runners if the car was not a race car or at the least did not have aftermarket brakes.

Regarding this line: "1.75" is the smallest I'd go, the other concern aside from tucking the wheel in, when backspace is large, you run the appearance of very little dishing which also looks odd."

many people on this site run forged Welds (2.25" BS) while a few run American Racing Trakstars or M/T drag wheels, all of which come in 2.25" backspacing on a 3.5" wheel and do not look the slightest bit odd.

The real issue is clearance. If my car still had the 1.75" backspace fronts with my brake and suspension setup, the tires would contact the insides of my fenders upon landing from a wheelie. So what started off from an aesthetic issue with the previous owner, really was a functional issue too once the car gained additional weight on the nose. Just food for thought...
Old 03-12-2009, 10:07 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by BadBoo79
Yes, I run drag race brakes. Why else would someone be looking at front runners if the car was not a race car or at the least did not have aftermarket brakes.

...The real issue is clearance. If my car still had the 1.75" backspace fronts with my brake and suspension setup, the tires would contact the insides of my fenders upon landing from a wheelie. So what started off from an aesthetic issue with the previous owner, really was a functional issue too once the car gained additional weight on the nose. Just food for thought...
Thanks for your comments. I completely agree with you regarding front runners and use for drag racing primarily. There really is no use at all for them as a street setup though some people insist on purchasing street/strip or street style skinnies...I scratch my head all the time wondering why people want skinnies as a street setup. Driving and braking is terrible compared to even the stock wheel configuration.

I disagree with clearance concerns for the fender lip. I personally have used our setups on my private F-body without complication. Most of the F-bodies using stock brakes on our gallery have between 1.75-2" backspace for the front runner. I’ve never heard of one of them hitting their fender lip. Some drag brakes do move the hub pad surface outward over stock, this possibly could be why you had complications.

Many people do not want to switch to drag brakes as they may either use the car everyday with their normal wheels and cannot change over due to the typical DD requirements or they do not want to spend their funds on a drag brake setup. Drag brakes, for the people who qualify are a great modification to consider, it drops weight and frictional losses considerably.

The good thing for our customers is the fact we can build the wheels to fit the stock brake configuration so they do not have to grind or have other issues regarding fitment. For the folks using drag brakes, we build the wheels differently which are less expensive as well as lighter for additional gains.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc
Thanks for your comments. I completely agree with you regarding front runners and use for drag racing primarily. There really is no use at all for them as a street setup though some people insist on purchasing street/strip or street style skinnies...I scratch my head all the time wondering why people want skinnies as a street setup. Driving and braking is terrible compared to even the stock wheel configuration.

I disagree with clearance concerns for the fender lip. I personally have used our setups on my private F-body without complication. Most of the F-bodies using stock brakes on our gallery have between 1.75-2" backspace for the front runner. I’ve never heard of one of them hitting their fender lip. Some drag brakes do move the hub pad surface outward over stock, this possibly could be why you had complications.

Many people do not want to switch to drag brakes as they may either use the car everyday with their normal wheels and cannot change over due to the typical DD requirements or they do not want to spend their funds on a drag brake setup. Drag brakes, for the people who qualify are a great modification to consider, it drops weight and frictional losses considerably.

The good thing for our customers is the fact we can build the wheels to fit the stock brake configuration so they do not have to grind or have other issues regarding fitment. For the folks using drag brakes, we build the wheels differently which are less expensive as well as lighter for additional gains.

On your F-Body, what brakes did you run? I have Aerospace and PA Racing suspension.

I have seen Firebirds at the track with the mulitpiece American racing fronts that fit fine (15x4 with hardly no backspace) so I do agree suspension and brakes play a large role as well.

Also, for the clearance issue... the tires on the 15x3.5 with the 1.75" backspace would not hit the fender lip (although they did sit slightly out past the fender at normal ride height). It would actually hit up in the wheel well since the iron BBC is a little less graceful when landing as compared to an aluminum LS1.

My last piece of advice would be to try wheels and tires before you buy anything and go through the full range of suspension travel to ensure clearance. Plus, you can see if you like the look of how the tire sits in the opening for various backspace and tire size configurations.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:47 PM
FormerVendor

Very good discussion. Thank you! I'm not doubting your experience. I've never heard of anyone else having fitment concerns. This would be from every car we've setup. Some do have a preference of having the wheels sit deeper, but not from problems of interference issues. Having a BBC could change a few characteristics, spring rates should compensate for weight alterations though.

I have an iron block with F1 race blower w/large sheet-metal 3 core front/mount intercooler and plumbing. Running actually at various times, LT1 brakes, LS1 brakes and Strange drag brakes never having issues with any of them. I have a BMR cross member and a-arms.

Adding a comment for others reading this regarding trying wheels and tires...no matter what brand of wheels a person chooses, never mount tires before you test fit wheels. No manufacture on the market will accept wheels back which had tires mounted. Most aftermarket vendors will not accept wheels back either once they are mounted with tires.

Here's a nice radial picture for you.
Attached Thumbnails 15x10 7"BS and 15x4 1-3/4" BS-james-d.jpg  

Last edited by SJM Manufacturing Inc; 03-12-2009 at 07:57 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:04 PM
Teching In

Well I spent alot of my afternoon on the phone with SJM Manufacturing, and I must say, This guy knows what he is talking about. I learned alot about wheels and what wheels you choose, what to look for, what not to get, and wheel weight. I am convinced that He will set my car up right, and looking good. The best part is they pretty much custom tailor the wheel to your car. I am very impressed with the knowledge He has and look forward to doing business with him. I will post pics and a review of my experience with SMJ Manufacturing. At this time I dont want to disclose what I have chosen to go with. You shall all find out very soon.

Quick Reply: 15x10 7"BS and 15x4 1-3/4" BS