Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Drivers side rear tire, sitting 1inch higher?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 12:22 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Drivers side rear tire, sitting 1inch higher?

Alright its been brought to my attention and I just noticed it a day ago.. but for some reason my drivers side rear tire is 1inch more then everywhere else in the wheel well. Its 4inches of wheelspace and everywhere else its 3. wtf could be causing this, I just put new wheels and tires on now but I don't think I noticed it before.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:40 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I'm sorta unclear on the situation. Is the tire its self taller than all the other tires? Or is the car sitting an inch lower in that corner? You said you just put new wheels/tires on. Was the gap like this before this wheel/tire change?
If not check and make sure the tire is the correct sidewall height. Something you could also consider: when a corner of the car is sitting low or high, it will have the opposite effect on the opposite corner. So you said that your driver's side rear is higher than all other corners by an inch? I'd re-measure the passenger front fender to ground clearance. I'd suspect it being an inch lower if it was a suspension issue.

Either way, a little more info would be helpful. For what it is worth, factory suspension cars usually don't sit level to begin with. But an inch is a bit much.

Last edited by So-GT0071; 03-12-2009 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:00 PM
12 Second Club

It's not the tires im just saying how much wheelspace I have. I was told its a common issue with rwd cars over time from the torque to make that happen on the springs. Everything is 3inches of wheelspace, except the rear drivers side, which is 4inches of wheel space. So im guessing its just from overtime the stress on the springs and how it affected them. I was planning on getting new shocks and lowering springs anyways so that would probably fix it but im still a lil unsure, im just making guesses right now aha
Old 03-12-2009, 02:12 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh OK, yea that sounds like a spring problem then. Seems odd that the front passenger side isn't getting pushed down by that back spring but eh whatever.
It sounds like you have the right idea with lowering springs and shocks. If you can afford it, my recommendation would be adjustable coils. When you have them on all 4 corners, you can really get ride height right where you want it as well as being able to play with compression and rebound. I just love having options without having to replace the spring and shock every time I want to change something.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:14 PM
12 Second Club

Yea I plan to get adjustables, yea im figuring this is just normal overtime **** that happens, if it is then no biggy.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You say you just put on new wheels and tires. That assumes that you lifted the car, either all at once, on a lift, or one corner at a time. During this operation, did you, by any chance, dislodge the left rear spring?
Old 03-12-2009, 06:17 PM
12 Second Club

I don't know how I would be able to tell that, it rides fine and I don't notice any difference in the ride? I did then one by one with a normal jack. Wouldn't I somehow notice something like a spring dislodged?
Old 03-12-2009, 06:41 PM
12 Second Club

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...cs-inside.html This guy in there has it to, this has to be a common issue. For better example my car looks like the rear of this:

If you look close you can see its tilted to the right side, like the left side is up a little bit more then the right. This is exactly what im talking about