Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Balancing rims with slicks

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 10:09 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balancing rims with slicks

How many of you are balancing your wheels with slicks? I have been told it defeats the purpose, since after a few good burnouts the balancing changes,
Old 04-09-2009, 10:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

I've always balanced them, alot of people dont though, its never a bad idea to have a balanced tire. It could be a bad thing if unbalanced. The balance isnt going to change that much if any
Old 04-09-2009, 10:48 PM
11 Second Club

^ x2
Johnny
Old 04-09-2009, 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

One of my Hoosiers took 11 ounces. I asked the guy that mounted it why he didn't break the tire down and turn it 180* so it would take less weight. He said the sidewall was so thin he was afraid of destroying the tire. I had told the guy not to lube the tires because I was worried about them turning on the wheels.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:23 AM
9 Second Club

Problem I am having is, I have the older Weld Draglite 90 series wheels 15x10, they have a floating spacer in between the center of the wheel that aligns up when you put it on the car with the lugs, it seems to be moving when they put it on the digital balancer and it throws the balance #s off, heck it needed 62 1/2 oz WTF, Jegs told me it requires some special piece to hold this spacer aligned in the wheel when you balance it, so I dont know what or where to go to get them correctly balanced, I put them on the car and went out and drove it, up to 90mph it seems ok, I mean 62 1/2 oz out of balance you would think it would rattle my teeth loose...lol anyone else use these wheels or experiance this ordeal? Thanx.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmm. can you not get the wheel tight enough on the balancer to keep the center from moving? but yes, 62 oz is ridiculous.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:09 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Nasti98Z
Problem I am having is, I have the older Weld Draglite 90 series wheels 15x10, they have a floating spacer in between the center of the wheel that aligns up when you put it on the car with the lugs, it seems to be moving when they put it on the digital balancer and it throws the balance #s off, heck it needed 62 1/2 oz WTF, Jegs told me it requires some special piece to hold this spacer aligned in the wheel when you balance it, so I dont know what or where to go to get them correctly balanced, I put them on the car and went out and drove it, up to 90mph it seems ok, I mean 62 1/2 oz out of balance you would think it would rattle my teeth loose...lol anyone else use these wheels or experiance this ordeal? Thanx.
Try to find a shop with the clamp that uses the lug nut holes. We had this hub at the Toyota dealership I worked in and I used it on my Cragar Drag Stars. Works like a charm. It's basically a flat plate with a bunch of holes drilled in it for many different style wheels (Ford, Chevy, 6-lug, etc.) You put steel rod-like adapters in the holes for your bolt pattern. The centering cone goes on the machine first, then your wheel, then the clamp, then the big wing nut. Use tape weights instead of hammer on weights.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:59 PM
9 Second Club

I will check into that, Thanx.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:14 PM
On The Tree

i dont really have any help for ya, but it is an interesting problem...good luck man....
Old 04-11-2009, 05:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Nasti98Z
Yeah you have to get it tight as **** or use the adapter that mounts the wheels like they mount up on the car, I hate that damn thing they put in there makes it a pain in the *** to balance. Basically you have to get the wheel to clamp down on that stupid thing. I dont know about anything you put in to hold it in place, that would be nice though
Old 04-11-2009, 07:53 PM

Unless you put screws in your tires to keep them from spinning on the rims, balancing is pointless, even then i garauntee you after several passes if you carry them back they will be out of balance. I do not balance slicks anymore and have not for years because of these issues, and my cars ride great. Not to mention when you sling that weight of on the track its like a bullet whether you are doing your burnout or making a pass, and the next guy to make a pass probably wont appreciate hitting it with his tires. I do not balance drag radials either, but i do keep my front wheels in balance.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:01 PM
TECH Regular

I see no use in balancing them as they are not up to full pressure and don't know how they would ever be balanced.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

The best way to balance a slick, is to do a good burnout on the tires. This will help to round them out. I have have slicks that have needed several ounces before also. Then I did a nice burnout on them and they didn't need as much. It would be a bad idea not to balance them. Wheel vibrations at 100+mph sucks! Good luck

Quick Reply: Balancing rims with slicks