Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Drag skinnies; does the diameter really matter?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 09:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Drag skinnies; does the diameter really matter?

Sorry if this is a repost, I did a search but didn't find anything.
I know that it's important to take your setup into account when calculating the proper diameter for your rear tires. My question is, does the diameter of your front tires really matter? I know that you'll get brake/ABS warning lights if your fronts and rears have different diameters, but I'll just be using the skinnies for the track. Wouldn't it make sense to use the smallest diameter available in order to save the most weight? I've been looking at these 22.5" tall ET Fronts; supposedly they only weigh 7 pounds each, much lighter than the taller sizes (next lightest is 11 lbs). That's a lot of weight reduction at the outside of the rotating mass!
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...0+115&y=2&x=30
Would I run into any issues at all with a diameter that small on the front? If not, then why would someone run a taller (and heavier) front skinny? Having a wheel/tire combo on the front that only weighs about 17 lbs each side (15 X 3.5 Draglites, about 10 lbs each) would be pretty sweet.

Last edited by Tommyv8; 04-12-2009 at 09:39 AM.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A 22.5" tire is 3" shorter and will effectively lower your front end 1.5". In addition a lot of these cars have traction control (ASR-Slip regulation). If your car has it you will have disable it in order to prevent errors from the front and rear sensors reading differently. If you can handle both of these, a small tire can be used.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My car is stock ride height so I don't think the drop in height should hurt anything ("4X4" look, huge wheelwell gaps) and I don't have traction control. One time I put a larger tire on the back and my ABS light came on but I didn't notice any adverse effects at all.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:20 AM
10 Second Club

Don't forget the fact that I'll make fun of you! j/k. Try to find some pics. I'm curious what gains are to be had too. When are you heading back to the track?
Old 04-12-2009, 07:45 PM
Teching In

By having the biggest front tire you can get will lower your E.T. at the strip. This is because the beam isn't activated until it isn't being blocked any more.Having the bigger tire will basically make the track shorter.Plus it will probably help your weight transfer for launching.Me personally, a bigger front tire looks good.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WS6 SRT-8
Don't forget the fact that I'll make fun of you! j/k. Try to find some pics. I'm curious what gains are to be had too. When are you heading back to the track?
Hey Rob! I'd to sort out this bad misfire first, and then have Josh Bommer (SmokinWS6) tune it. I'd also like to get the SLP linelock on there (got it for Christmas, still sitting in my closet ). Then I need to order the front tires and get them mounted, but that will be easy. I'll give you a shout the next time I'm heading out to GIR, hopefully before too long.

Originally Posted by TODD SPANGLER
By having the biggest front tire you can get will lower your E.T. at the strip. This is because the beam isn't activated until it isn't being blocked any more.Having the bigger tire will basically make the track shorter.Plus it will probably help your weight transfer for launching.Me personally, a bigger front tire looks good.
Wow Todd, I never thought about the rollout through beams and the weight transfer. Good points. I'm really not concerned about looks though, they'll be just for the track for now.

I guess this would be more appropriate for my application?
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Last edited by Tommyv8; 04-12-2009 at 08:12 PM.