Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Problems with Goodyear!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 10:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Problems with Goodyear!

****5/9/09 Update New tire installed Thanks to Discount Tire Direct and Matt- Came out only needed 2.5 ozs instead of 6 ozs like the old tire. The tire did not move on the wheel like the old tire- vibration is alot better than it was****

Anyone ever had problems with goodyear not wanting to stand behind their tires? I have a new tire and having all kind of problems. I have been to 3 places including a goodyear dealer and they won't help because I didn't buy the tire from them. The place I bought it from says they have problems with goodyear paying them back and they don't want to mess with it.

I have showed 2 places that the tire is moving on the rim and changing balance without losing any weights. I called Goodyear and they are not helping much either.

Last edited by chevygirl; 05-10-2009 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Updated
Old 04-30-2009, 12:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

how old are the tires? and what is goodyear saying when you call em? the shop you bought em from should have a warranty unless you bought from a shady place.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The tire in question was bought on 3/7/09 and the place I bought it from could not get it to balance so they said they would get me another tire like it was no problem to do so. They got me another tire on 4/3/09 and it was alot worse. It actually is moving on the wheel and it will not stay balanced. They are a well known custom wheel shop here in town and have a leverless tire changer which is why I went there to begin with. They say they can't get me another tire because they can't eat another tire. They are saying Goodyear will not stand behind their tires and refund for defective tires for at least 3 months and they don't want to bother with it. I called Goodyear 4 times and they told me to go to one of their retailers yesterday and I did. They found the tire to be defective but they won't help because they didn't sell me the tire. I went back to the original place and they won't help either. I called 2 other goodyear stores and they told me the same thing.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would get them to get you a different brand of tire then. change all of them out and give you the difference. they cant sell you a tire like that and then say they cant do anything about it!
Old 04-30-2009, 08:21 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by puggerton03
i would get them to get you a different brand of tire then. change all of them out and give you the difference. they cant sell you a tire like that and then say they cant do anything about it!
+1 That is bad buisness, if they are having problems with Goodyear then they shouldn't sell them to you.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't blame Good Year for a BAD install shop . . . .

When you say the tire is moving . . . What do you mean? . . Rotating around the wheel?

Is there an issue with the wheel?

Honestly I've never hear of a tire "moving" on the wheel, other than drag tires . . .
Old 04-30-2009, 04:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

For a month the tire keeps getting out of balance even though no weights are coming off. Yesterday they turned it on the wheel for the 7th time and ran it on a hunter road force machine balanced it and I went home and the further I drove the worse it got. I got out of the car and looked at the marking that I had the installer put on the tire where the valve stem was. It had moved 12 inches from there. I went back he broke it down cleaned the bead area and reseated it back on the machine rebalance the whole bit. I drove 2 miles the tire moved another 2 inches.

It hasn't always moved but I have made 7 or more trips every few days to have it rechecked and it had changed as far as the weight. It wasn't balanced anymore. I have never heard of it either but I know I have been through heck with this. It is just one tire and I do not want to get all new tires because of one tire. I just bought another one a few months ago and they cost to much to toss away.

Trouble is finding someone with a machine that don't damage my wheel and is a goodyear store.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:43 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by chevygirl
Anyone ever had problems with goodyear not wanting to stand behind their tires? I have a new tire and having all kind of problems. I have been to 3 places including a goodyear dealer and they won't help because I didn't buy the tire from them. The place I bought it from says they have problems with goodyear paying them back and they don't want to mess with it.

I have showed 2 places that the tire is moving on the rim and changing balance without losing any weights. I called Goodyear and they are not helping much either.
PM Sent
Old 04-30-2009, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sounds like you might have a problem with the rim.

either that or drill and screw the tire like they do on drag slicks
Old 04-30-2009, 07:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

WOW CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discount Tire Direct is going to take care of me big time!!!!!!!!!!

They are sending me a tire and helping me out. This is a real company with real customer service guys!!! I will buy from them from now on.

Thank you Matt!!!!
Old 04-30-2009, 08:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

lol sweet! cant wait til discount opens another store here in reno!
Old 05-01-2009, 12:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unreal "non" customer service.
Gonna have to give you guys a try next set of tires.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:29 AM
Launching!

Glad to see it all worked out.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

So, did the new tire fix the problem?
Old 05-01-2009, 11:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

He is sending me a new one so I will have to wait and see. I am sure it will. I am going to find someone here in town that is a goodyear retailer so they should know how to mount it up with no problems. I got some nice wheels so hopefully I can find someone that won't hurt them.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I had a very similar problem on my grand prix and it turned out to be the wheel. No one could keep it in balance. The wheel may have become warped or bent but not enough to see or notice but enough to ruin the tire.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

They have checked my wheel on 2 machines and it comes out to be fine. It has very little runout. Also none. I had no problems until I got a new tire. I am hopeful that the new tire installed by the right person will solve the balance problems.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

I work in a tire shop and I have just had tons of problems with goodyears in general.

Had them send me damaged ones, had quite a few with runout issues, the only goodyears I will sell are some of their car tires like the GS-D3s.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh great that makes me feel no better about this whole deal with the tires.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chevygirl
They have checked my wheel on 2 machines and it comes out to be fine. It has very little runout. Also none. I had no problems until I got a new tire. I am hopeful that the new tire installed by the right person will solve the balance problems.

I remember seeing your first discussion on this topic a while back. Just something to consider.....

Did you have other tires on this rim before you bought the GoodYears? If so, did they rotate on the rim? If the other tires didn't rotate, then as hard as it is to believe, you must have gotten a couple of tires whose bead ID was out of spec, but I've never seen that in my 40 years of bustin' tires.

If these rims and tires are a brand new set up, however, it appears that you have a rim whose bead area is undersized, and not creating the right amount of grip necessary to hold the tire in place. If your "custom tire shop" knew that you were having this problem, and is was happening so soon after putting the wheel/tire on your car, they probably should have run it through a couple of spin cycles on their road force balancer, and witnessed the tire moving.