Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Vette wheels on a Trans Am???

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 06:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vette wheels on a Trans Am???

I dig the look of the Vette wheels. I was considering getting a Trans Am with them. But my friend is against it and says they just don't mix. Apparently putting Chevy wheels on a Pontiac is "against the rules". Whereas a Camaro with vette wheels is fine, since they are both chevy. He and apparently all his buddies would laugh me off the track if they saw the two combined according to him.

Just asking for others opinions. Will I really get that much flack from fellow GM enthusiasts? I could understand having a camaro with a ram air hood being a little ridiculous but I didn't think wheels were that much of a turn off. especially good quality ones that aren't ricey, or wal-mart plastic.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:03 PM
Launching!

I've seen plenty of c5 and c6 wheels on T/As here on this site, and they look fine. Your friends are making up their own stupid rules. I'm sure "once or twice doesn't make you gay" is one of them.

Buy the car you like and blow their doors off with it.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:12 PM
On The Tree

im going to put the new zr1 wheels on my t/a and i dont care what anyone else thinks. i fell in love with them the first time i saw them on a vette. i said i had to have them and now they are on the way. so i dont think to much on what everyone else may think if you like them do it. some people just like the same ol look and thats fine if you want to look like every other guy. but i say stand out if you can. if "chevette" rims look good ona t/a putthem on there!

Old 04-30-2009, 07:15 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you like em get em. Some say you shouldn't put vette wheels on f-bodies but who cares technically it has a vette engine as long as you dont put a vette emblem on the nose or something F what your buddies say. Your buddies would look pretty lame sitting their laughing cause you got vette wheels I get compliments on my c6's all the time I would rather have a less common wheels but they were only $400 with tires so can't complain.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:16 PM
Launching!

What style of vette wheels are we talking about?
Old 04-30-2009, 08:35 PM
Teching In

This! Yay or Nay?

Old 04-30-2009, 09:18 PM
TECH Regular

nay, i am not a fan but thats me..i just want fatter spokes.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:53 PM
On The Tree

yay all the way. i also have those on mine in chrome. they look great but time for new ones so they must go.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

NEVER. Not on mine.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

The C6 vette wheels look nice on Trans Ams.

I wouldn't worry about what someone else says... it's your car.... now IF you put some DONKs on and come back and post picks... expect a
Old 04-30-2009, 10:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by transambroli
but who cares technically it has a vette engine
Technically, no it doesn't have a vette engine. It has a Trans Am or Camaro engine. Unless they took an engine out of a vette and put it in a fbody, it's still a fbody engine.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by The Ham
This! Yay or Nay?

NAY!!!!

I HATE those wheels. They look absolutely horrible on 'Birds, and only slightly less so on Camaros. (no offense to the owner of that car...whatever floats your boat man)

Only car I DON'T hate them on is the Z06 they were off of, and even so, if it were my Z06, I'd change them out ASAP.

For Vette wheels, C6 and C6 Z06 look good on 'Birds. Otherwise, no.

The new ZR1 wheel looks like it might look okay, but I'll withold judgement on it till I see it.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

huge nay. the ZO6's go on camaros, ZR1's go on TA's
Old 05-01-2009, 12:10 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hitmanws6
huge nay. the ZO6's go on camaros, ZR1's go on TA's
Agreed tho some c6 wheels look mighty fine.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

unless you have huge crossdrilled rotors underneath they look out of place IMO
Old 05-01-2009, 01:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Black_Z28
Technically, no it doesn't have a vette engine. It has a Trans Am or Camaro engine. Unless they took an engine out of a vette and put it in a fbody, it's still a fbody engine.
It's still a 'Vette engine. The LS1 came out in 97 with the, . . . . Corvette. In 97, the TA and Camaro's were still rockin' the LT1 (another Corvette engine). If it's not a Corvette engine, but jus' some factory V8, why didn't they put it in te Firebirds and Camaros? Because the LS1 was made for the 5th Generation Corvette. When the 6th generation Corvette came out, lo and behold the LS2. I consider it the 'Vette engine because it is consistent with the different generations of 'Vettes. Plus, what does the Fuel Rail Covers say on them?
Old 05-01-2009, 02:26 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Black_Z28
LT1/LS1 = vette motor
c'mon man dont you like the fact that you can say you have a vette motor under your hood haha every time im tlkin to somebody about my car that doesnt really kno about them i always end it with..."oh yea and its got a 5.7L vette motor in it" peoples reactions are always great haha

Last edited by LT1-Camo; 05-01-2009 at 02:31 AM.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:21 AM
HWI
TECH Enthusiast

I like em, but I am a bit biased.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LT1-Camo
LT1/LS1 = vette motor
c'mon man dont you like the fact that you can say you have a vette motor under your hood haha every time im tlkin to somebody about my car that doesnt really kno about them i always end it with..."oh yea and its got a 5.7L vette motor in it" peoples reactions are always great haha
No, it's not. There are numerous parts that are in the motor of a Vette that are different from a motor in a Fbody. So, with your thinking back in the 70s, a Chevelle had a vette motor? And the same went for most of the engine made during the 70s? Or should I say a Nascar motor, since most of the motors were developed for nascar in some way.

An no I don't tell people that my car has a vette motor. Because I think it's a ignorant statement. The motor in my car has never been in a vette, so it was never intended for a vette, therefore it's not a vette motor, it's a fbody motor. Simple as that.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Most of the guys with high dollar forged wheels will think it's against the rules. I guess they think everyone can afford $3k + for wheels. I've never had anyone "laugh me off the track" for my vette wheels though, while I must admit I'd much rather have some better wheels but I'll never make fun of someone with vette wheels on camaro or t/a's.