Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Question for tire installers

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 05:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question for tire installers

*****Update- 5/9/09 went to a Goodyear store and they took care of me with no damage to my wheels****
I was wondering if any of you guys could help me with what I should check or say when going to a shop to make sure they can change out a tire without touching the rim. Is there certain machines I need to ask around for or is it just the operator itself. I noticed some machines have heads on them that rim along the rim. I wondered if that would scratch my wheel. Any help appreciated.

Last edited by chevygirl; 05-10-2009 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Update
Old 05-02-2009, 08:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there are certain machines that can do no touch stuff but in all honesty a machine is only as good as the tech using it. so go to a shops and look for the badass that works there, most shops have one. or ask some locals who they recommend
Old 05-03-2009, 02:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i personally have never seen or used a machine that never touches the rim. if i deal with a nice rim i just put rags around the clamps. works all the time.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The HP wheels I had on my car had a lip that was a lay over and dented really easy and even with a good installer and a touchless machine they still put very small dents, but if your wheels arent like mine a good installer and a touchless machine you should be okay, alot of Discount Tires have them, and some small preformance wheel and tire shops have them also. Good Luck!!
Old 05-03-2009, 02:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well in Memphis there isn't any touchless machines that I can find. I took them to the chevy dealer and I was standing right there and they put 3 or four small dings from hitting something and they were only breaking the bead, turning the tire, and rebalancing on the machine. Everywhere I call they say it will be no problem but I am having a bad experience so far. I ask them what kind of machines they have and they act like they don't even know. Some say they use rubber protectors. We don't have a discount tire here.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hunter is a pretty big tire mounting/balancing brand. I'd imagine that a lot of dealers/tire stores use them. But pretty much they're all the same. Anyone who isn't mental should be able to mount tires without leaving a mark.
Take it somewhere reputible(sp?) and let them know before they touch the wheels that they will be buying you new ones if they leave the slightest mark.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hitmanws6
i personally have never seen or used a machine that never touches the . if i deal with a nice rim i just put rags around the clamps. works all the time.
We have a touchless machine at work, but i dont remember the manufacture of it. I know its not Hunter. The only part of the machine that touches the wheel is in the center where it clamps the wheel to the machine.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have called around and no one around here has one. I will have to go visits some shops this week to find someone. I don't mind dropping a good tip to the guy if he will take care of me. It is hard to tell if someone really knows what they are doing. The bad thing is my wheels cannot be bought anymore so if they were to have to buy one they couldn't.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah that sucks they have 11 in Tennesse and not one in Memphis. What kind of wheels do you have on your car?
Old 05-03-2009, 11:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The GM SLP ZR1's chrome. They were in mint condition until I took them to 2 places here in town so far. I am trying to minimize the damage. I take them off myself trying to save some problems.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I found a Goodyear shop with a Coats tire changer that can change runflats and has the arms with all the rubber pieces and plastic pieces. Nothing is suppose to touch the rim but the rubber head will run along the backside of the rim. They have a sonar coats road force machine that is new.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

make sure that whoever you have do it has insurance and stands behind their work. also, i would recommend a tire machine that actually grips the barrel of the wheel from the outside, instead of the inside.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:20 PM
On The Tree

I work at discount part time n we just adjust the duck head (the piece that rides along the rim) far enough away so that it doesnt touch it. Works every time without scratching wheels
Old 05-07-2009, 12:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The machine is a coats 9024E and it has the rubber duckhead and he said they can't move it back to far or it might damage the tire. I will try to ask him again about it. It was rubber. He said it will touch but is rubber so it doesn't scratch. Any help is appreciated as to what to tell or ask of this shop. I am going Saturday morning.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:41 PM
On The Tree

If they know what theyre doing everything will be ok.. ure a little far from chicago haha or id hook it up
Old 05-08-2009, 10:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I wish I was near you too. I guess there isn't anyone on this site that works in my area.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:26 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by chevygirl
The machine is a coats 9024E and it has the rubber duckhead and he said they can't move it back to far or it might damage the tire. I will try to ask him again about it. It was rubber. He said it will touch but is rubber so it doesn't scratch. Any help is appreciated as to what to tell or ask of this shop. I am going Saturday morning.
They have the machine u're talkin about at the shop I used to work at. How big are your wheels? Because on the smaller wheels, the tires were more stiff so the whole adjusting the duckhead not to touch the wheels wouldn't work because you couldn't stretch the tire like that, but on bigger wheels, maybe 18in and bigger, we could stretch the tire enough to not touch the wheel with the duckhead. I never once saw a wheel get scratched on that machine so it's not impossible.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

They are stock 17 in SS wheels.

Quick Reply: Question for tire installers