Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Need help with tire options...

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 08:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Need help with tire options...

First off: I'm not looking for a track tire. I'm interested in a street tire that can handle some hard acceleration from a roll. My tires (bfg gsport 275/40/17) make my car the ultimate highschool tire, spinning from a 2nd gear punch.

4.10s, cam, stock suspension, 17x9's, M6. Soon to be Midwest rear, maybe 17x11's, Midwest LCA/PHB... stock shocks/springs. I need a DD tire that won't spin from a roll. For the track I have pretty much decided that I'll get nowhere without the sidewall that a 15" wheel offers. But for the street... I don't really launch, or really street race, but I do like to hit the gas and grab some gears. Other than on one 40ft section of really gnarly asphalt I have never felt what first gear is like.

Is there a good street tire that I can run on 17's, I can do road trips in, get decent street life, and hook under hard acceleration?

BTW, I know this has to have been the topic of many threads but I can't find anything except for people looking for a good track tire to use on the street. I'm looking for a good street tire.

In the future I would like to do Autocross, and I want to build a 408. Is street traction a pipe dream?

Thought I might add that the new ZR1 that I saw at the chevy dealer had michelin pilot sports I think.

Last edited by KurtRardin; 05-07-2009 at 09:20 AM.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Have you thought of the nitto 555 Rs'...(drag radial) or nitto 555's (street tire).

A lot of people are liking GSD3's from goodyear as well.

Might wanna look into the Vredestein's as well.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:10 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless you go to a Bias Ply (ET Streets), your not going to get that "Hook" that you expect, certainly changing the suspension, putting adj shocks on will help compensate for the lack of side wall flex.

For traction, and still be a Radial tire, I vote M/T ET Street Radial. it does have more flex then a BFG or Nitto but the best street/strip tire that I have used. The only issue is they do wear more, I think you can get 12-14k on them. And at certain MPH I used to get a vibration or shimmy on the freeway and the rim was fine and balanced properly.

Get some suspension parts as well. BMR stuff is great and I use it.

TQ arm
LCA's with relocation bracket
Adj shocks (QA1's) Maybe get Double Adj if your road racing.

Your going to have to spend money, spend it where it counts.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:30 AM
TECH Addict

With the midwest rear end I get an awesome torque arm, and I'll have adj LCAs/PHB then too. Ultimately I hope to run the strano suspension with koni's. Drag radials? How much of a traveling tire would those make? If you can get 15k street miles then I guess that would be okay... traction costs. I was hoping for something a little more forgiving in the rain and better in a corner for my street tires.

Definitely gonna get some 15" wheels if I make it a drag car, with some sticky tires. But I need something that might be better for carving up some country roads and offer some "already moving" strait line traction with maybe 400 to 450 RWHP.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:34 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by allbaugh_04
Might wanna look into the Vredestein's as well.
How well do these tires perform under hard acceleration?
Old 05-07-2009, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

IDK, you'll have to do a search. I own the 555R's and nothing else so far.

As far as mileage, if you aren't burning up the 555R's all the time...people have seen 15k out of them. I will probably get around 10-12k I bet.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here's a link https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-ti...n-tires-2.html

I'd personally stick with Nittos though, that's why I got them..
Old 05-07-2009, 09:15 PM
TECH Addict

Looks like there are very mixed reviews on the Vred's, some say they hook up good from a roll, others say they dont. Of course, none of them had their mods in their sig so they could be bone stock for all I know. Something tells me they would spin like crazy with 4.10s.

So is everyone pretty much forced to run track tires if they want to hook up on the street with low gears?

How well do the Nitto NT05 hook up from a roll?
Old 05-08-2009, 07:12 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by KurtRardin
But I need something that might be better for carving up some country roads and offer some "already moving" strait line traction with maybe 400 to 450 RWHP.
Depending on what your do more, this is a either/or situation.

If you do more hard cornering.....

Nitto DR
---------------------------------
If you do more Ricing from a roll.....

M/T ET Street Radial

Now that doesn't mean the Mickey cannot take hard banks but with a more flexible and sometimes taller sidewall, it could make things awkward but again, it depends on what your like to do.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:34 AM
TECH Addict

Which M/T were you talking about, the original e/t street radial, or the e/t street radial II? I wonder what kind of DD life you can see out of m/t's? With maybe 5 track passes per year... And thats still questionable since I've never taken it to the track... but with a midwest rear things will be different
Old 05-08-2009, 10:31 AM
Internet Mechanic

I had the originals when they were 1st produced, I got 12k out of them. I did alot of street driving and track outtings.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Again I think since you'll be using 17x11s and you have a smaller cam, the Nittos 315s wouldn't be bad at all, maybe even the NT05s...not sure on those. Since it's a DD you might wanna stick with the 555Rs. The ET II's are gonna be overkill, you'll hook no doubt, but I doubt they will last long, i'm not sure of their tread wear though. The ET Streets will probably be the same way.

It's totally up to you...i'll leave it at that.