Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

anyone good with bead leaks?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 11:54 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone good with bead leaks?

i got some wheels off a member on here (this is definitely NOT a negative feedback thread btw). turns out the inside of the rim had some (a lot) corrosion towards the lip of the rims, and when they went to put new tires on, there was a bead leak that could not be fixed.

after a week of airing up two of my tires every day, i went back and had them check it out. i cleaned the inside of the rim with a wire brush, then basically painted the inside of the rim with bead sealant, put the tire back on, put some more bead sealant on the tire before airing it up, and now it leaks just a little bit, enough to make me air up the 2 passenger side tires maybe once every couple weeks.

my dilemma is this: i really wanna get my BFG DRs put on before the weekend (preferably tomorrow), but i really don't want to go through the trouble of getting it to seal again. is there another trick i can do for this? a wire brush basically moves the corrosion more towards the lip, and i don't think the shop would like me using all their bead sealant just for my wheels.

if anyone has some good advice for this, please let me know.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

unfortunately there are only 2 options to fix this. you can get them repainted/rechromed or get new wheels. those are the only 2 things i have ever seen work. bead sealant only does so much
Old 06-03-2009, 01:24 AM
On The Tree

I have to deal with this all the time at work, especially with chrysler wheels the chrome peels on the beads on them bad. We use a die grinder and hit the wheel till its smooth then seal it with bead seal. I have yet to have one come back unless it was a bead leak from a bend.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:33 AM
Launching!

what did you grind down just the part that was chipping or whatever? like i said above, the wire brush kept peeling the chrome further and further towards the lip. so i should try grinding/sanding it down instead?
Old 06-03-2009, 10:18 PM
On The Tree

ya I grind the peeling part until it is as smooth as possible and put a ton of bead sealer on it
Old 06-03-2009, 11:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Who ever installed the new tires should have seen the probllem and fixed it. Or asked you if you would like to spend the extra $ for them to fix it. Common problem, Easy fix.

Just like big jake (I thought you was dead?) said. Grind it, you could even snad it by hand. Then put some tar or high build paint to prevent any more chiping.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:02 AM
Launching!

they did notice it but didn't spend too much time fixing it because the shop was about to close and i didn't want to park my car overnight there. guess i can give it another shot just with sandpaper instead of a wire brush.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have faith ahahaha you can do it.

Switch back and forth brush, paper, brush, paper. If you had a grinder you could knonk it out in about 15 minutes. Try to find some undercoating or something to help prevent chipping in the future
Old 06-04-2009, 10:43 PM
On The Tree

**** it wouldve taken an extra five minutes, about to close my *** lol.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I woldnt go back there for ****.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:21 PM
Launching!

well for one it's the auto hobby shop on base so it's super cheap to work on your car there, and second: it's 29 palms, ca so there's not much else to choose from around here.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:26 PM
Launching!

well this time they gave me a little air tool shaped like an L, and you screwed these little sander pads onto it. whatever that was, worked pretty damn good. i smoothed out the flakes, cleaned the inside of the wheel, and didn't have to use any bead sealant. i'll find out tomorrow if i lost pressure or not. so far it looks good.

i got kinda scared towards the lip cuz i didn't want to let the chrome go over the lip to where you could see it.