Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

What skinny rims can be used up front a 1999 T/A?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 01:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What skinny rims can be used up front a 1999 T/A?

I've heard there are problems clearing the brakes on some of our cars, so I am just looking for some suggestions. Thanks in advance!!

Justin Englert
Summerville, SC
Old 06-04-2009, 08:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What are you looking to do? Track only wheels? Street skinnies? Daily driver? Weekend toy? The only TRUE bolt on wheels without ANY calipar modification that fit both front without grinding and rear, are Steve's Bogart line, and our Weld R/T series wheels. Bogarts are light, and will take a lot of rolling weight off the front of your car. The Weld R/T wheels are a little bit heavier, but still pretty light, but they are designed to be street driven, that's why the centers are a little heavier.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:26 AM
Staging Lane

pretty much gonna be for track use.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:30 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you don't intend on doing any street driving with them, give Steve at SJM a call.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:41 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry to hijack, but what if i was looking for street skinnies, used to cruise maybe 3 times a week/weekends. probably gonna need a 6"er huh? (or at least recommended?)
what do ya think?
Old 06-05-2009, 10:17 AM
12 Second Club

I run Convo Pros on mine. Didn't pay a fortune for them & they fit with stock studs & no grinding.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:17 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To be clear, width doesn't determine durability or strength. Width (because you can run a wider tire) will partly determine how well the car handles and brakes. Sidewall tire-height also is a factor of handling. The bigger the sidewall, the less responsive it will be in the turns.

If the car is being used as a daily driver, I feel braking and handling is reduced to the point the car is not fun to drive (in my opinion of course). You've reduced your spirited driving habbits to taking turns slow (because your car wants to push through the turns since the tire has a little footprint) and leaving extra distance to stop due to once again the reduced footprint. Forget about spirited corner driving.

If the above doesn't concern you, than I'd probably use either Welds new street wheel, or a summit/jegs prostar. I personally would never pick a summit/jegs wheel though as it is made in china. The Chinese wheels don't offer a good solution for a 10" wheel for a stock length F-body. 8's are realistically too small for the typical 275/50 or 26x11 tires.

If your purchasing a skinny/fat setup for racing performance, our Bogart wheels will hands down be the best direct fit option for your car. Comparing to a street version it would be like dropping between 50-75lbs of static weight from your car.

Using our Bogart wheels since unsprung and rotational mass is much less, braking distances will be better, traction will improve and 60ft times will be shorter. This is all due to less mass of the wheel.

Let me know if I can assist any of you directly. We would be happy to earn any of your business.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:27 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
I run Convo Pros on mine. Didn't pay a fortune for them & they fit with stock studs & no grinding.
Convo pros are a drag wheel, not a street wheel. They don't offer a good rear-wheel solution for the F-body. 8's as mentioned are too small. As discussed a 275/50 or 26x11 (typical size tire easily used) is too large for an 8" wheel. If you attempt to use those tires (even though its not recommended per tire manufactures), it will prove to be far less stable driving due to the sidewall differences. Their prices have increased quite a bit over the years. They used to be right in line with a prostar. Last time I checked they quite higher. (they are also the heaviest of most drag wheel combos). I'd pick a weld prostar over them anyday if performance is in mind (I do like the convo pro appearance better though).

If one considers using a drag wheel such as a prostar, convo pro etc on their car as their everyday wheel, feel no differently over over Bogart bolted P1 F-body specific drag wheels. We build wheel combinations (even though they may look the same) DIFFERENT...shells and centers are setup for each vehicle.

I'd like everyone to understand, we have a variety of wheels used for many racing applications. We have different tiers of drag wheels that are designed for ultimate weight reduction which are obviously track only wheels...to the other extreme of road race wheels which are designed for for the rigors of high lateral loading and will take just about any type of punishment.

I could build even a road race wheel in 15's in just about any width if one desired (though I have difficulty swallowing the idea of 15's being used as such). I just think the idea of 15's as everday use lowers everyday driving fun as the sidwall is much larger making the car feel like its on a waterbed.

Last edited by SJM Manufacturing Inc; 06-05-2009 at 10:43 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:47 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc
Convo pros are a drag wheel, not a street wheel. They don't offer a good rear-wheel solution for the F-body. 8's as mentioned are too small. As discussed a 275/50 or 26x11 (typical size tire easily used) is too large for an 8" wheel. If you attempt to use those tires (even though its not recommended per tire manufactures), it will prove to be far less stable driving due to the sidewall differences. Their prices have increased quite a bit over the years. They used to be right in line with a prostar. Last time I checked they quite higher. (they are also the heaviest of most drag wheel combos). I'd pick a weld prostar over them anyday if performance is in mind (I do like the convo pro appearance better though).
Well I run a 27x10.5x15 MT on my 15x8 rears & it's plenty wide for me. I only really noticed the waterbed feel when driving on the hwy with low pressure in the rears. Once I upped the pressure they felt fine. Granted I know they still aren't ment to handle like & wont handle like a normal radial tire made for normal daily street wear.

I only paid $700 for my complete set from a buddy with tires on them. So for me it was a great deal. I didn't spend much on them & didn't have to grind my calipers. I could have went Prostars but the whole grinding idea just totally turns me off to any of the other options out there thats are not a direct fit.

If I had deep enough poskets I'd definetly buy a set of your wheels but on a budget most of us take what we can get when the opportunity presents itself. Since my car is a daily driver & I'm not worried about squeezing out every extra tenth, the extra weight will never bother me personally. I get what I wanted out of them in the end. I got a 15" wheel that fits & I can run a good sticky tire on. Thats all I wanted.

Here is a pic of how the 15x8 Convo Pro looks with a 27x10.5x15 MT from the rear just bolted on like a stock wheel. It didn't stick out to far, didnt rub & gave me the traction I was looking for.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:05 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Imo it looks like it sticks out quite a bit.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:39 AM
12 Second Club

The shape of the rear fender curling in as it goes down makes it look worse in the pic. I didn't think to get a pic from looking straight down from atop the quarter when I had them mounted. If you look at them in person from the top the tire is damn near flush with the quarter. Also my pic angle probably isn't helping much either, LOL.

They stick out alot less than some I have seen, especially if there is a spacer involved.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:38 PM
FormerVendor

It sounds like you got a good deal on your setup. No disrespect was meant by any means. I'm happy to see you didn't oversize your tire for your wheel. Most run wider tires on the F-body. If you had a 10" wheel I would suggest the 27x11.5 QTP which gives a slightly better contact patch.

Regarding your backspace, it’s not too bad. It’s a bit further than I'd personally go but it works. For the price you paid, you got a good deal; beggars can’t be picky as they say. If I built an 8" wheel (which as suggested I wouldn’t for the 4th gen F-body), I'd build it with a 6" backspace, not 5.5”, we can do that, other companies as the one you got does not offer it...

The most important end result is that you’re happy with your setup. It doesn’t really matter what anyone else says. You didn't make a poor choice, nor do you have bad wheels. There are other choices and ones that could provide better performance, but that doesn't really matter...as long as you're happy.

…I’m surprised you’re fit without modification; this is not the standard. F-body calipers float, you may have a set that has thin pads or the calipers were cast thinner than others. Most do at least have to run spacers or make other modifications.

It the end, performance is important to others, and the difference in price is worth having lower rotational mass which gives better braking performance, better 60 ft times, less stress on the drivetrain which obviously prevents damage, better reaction regarding handling (traction) since there’s much less mass for quicker reaction from the suspension etc.

My stance is a bit different. Unfortunately, many overlook performance benefits thinking they are small or not worth it. On the contrary, for example, some stress their engine and driveline with a 75lb shot of nitrous to gain power when all they had to do was save the money and spend it on lighter components which actually decrease stress on the engine and driveline.

Some people spend quite a bit on aftermarket suspension pieces…more than the difference in price for wheels that could provide more benefits…unfortunately, those customers either may not be aware of this…or they overlook rotational and unsprung benefits.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:01 PM
12 Second Club

None taken man. Yea, I really wanted the 10" wheels but they did require grinding 100% for sure. I can't say I was as suprised they fit since in all my searches on here showed that the sizes I got off my buddy were one of the few sets offered by anyone except custom wheels places like yours that sold a direct fit wheel option for our f-bodies. That & the price being right is what sold me on them. And I kinda got a soft spot for the old school look they bring to the table too, LOL.

My pads are worn & need replaced but we also bolted them up on my buddies 99' Camaro with basically brand new pads & they still cleared fine.

I agree they aren't for everyone but if your just a occasional track visitor & just want a set to slap stickies on for a few passes a year & not have to install race brakes or grind calipers, I'd say they are a pretty decent option.

Quick Reply: What skinny rims can be used up front a 1999 T/A?